LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Should I "Rust Proof" my 2003 LS430 brought to Ontario?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 08:38 AM
Isack4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Should I "Rust Proof" my 2003 LS430 brought to Ontario?

My 2003 Black Cherry Pearl has just been brought to Ontario from British Columbia(its a long story), and the road salts and inconsistent weather here has me worried about:
1 Corrosion to all mechanicals and electronics and rubber from not having seen these cruddy conditions before
2 The paint being worn and losing its protection (tips for paint protection and detailing

I know a huge thing here in Canada is Krown rust proofing or protection and i've been looking into how they apply their product. They spray what looks like a clear oil that apparently is okay to and protects rubber and electronics on the underside of the car but they also drill holes into the door and body panels to spray from the inside.... I guess what im asking here is if anyone has experience with getting this done to their Ls430 and if I should be worried about anything or if this is really just a necessary part of owning any car in ontario.

Thanks Guys, I tried looking for a thread but no luck. Also cleaning product recommendations for paint and protection would be awesome!!
Old 12-20-17, 09:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm on my way up to the GTA today, and out of curiosity, I will ask, I always thought rustproofing was an old concept....

On the products, I use Meguiars Gold Class wax (for 15 yrs.), started using California clay bar (tried Meguiars, like Calif better), and Zaino leather in a bottle. Oh, and went back to the original Armor All for the interior, and engine bay...
Old 12-20-17, 09:28 AM
Isack4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm on my way up to the GTA today, and out of curiosity, I will ask, I always thought rustproofing was an old concept....

On the products, I use Meguiars Gold Class wax (for 15 yrs.), started using California clay bar (tried Meguiars, like Calif better), and Zaino leather in a bottle. Oh, and went back to the original Armor All for the interior, and engine bay...
Thanks John, it seems to still be kicking around unless im missing something. That would be great to know what they say!!

I will definitely check those products out when I go to pickup cleaning/detailing supplies
Old 12-20-17, 09:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is the leather product, I really like it as to me, it makes the car smell new! Again, my theory is the leather is going to wear, but these products reduce friction between one's clothes and the seat, making it last a little longer...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnhav430:
Isack4 (12-20-17), Wizard650 (12-22-17)
Old 12-20-17, 10:29 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Paint Protection Film will definitely help. Looks like you have a lot of options for Paint Protection Film installers in Ontario.
The following users liked this post:
Isack4 (12-20-17)
Old 12-20-17, 10:40 AM
Isack4
Driver School Candidate

wow its so inexpensive too! great recommendation. do you go by the 60-90 days to apply it? I guess it depends how much use the seats see
Old 12-20-17, 05:49 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Is BC pretty salt free?
Old 12-20-17, 08:38 PM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I picked up my LS last year and live in Ontario as well. First thing I did was take it to Krown. Rustproofing annually is a must if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. Drilling holes is necessary to keep corrosion from forming inside the doors and body panels where you can't see. It drips for a few days after applying but that's a small price to pay to protect your investment.
Isack4 (12-21-17)
Old 12-20-17, 11:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I highly suggest known, although it’s not exactly necessary, it makes a world of difference. I fluid film all our cars myself with the areosal cans, and all of our cars are spotless underneath, even our 2004 ES despite 13 of Buffalo winters, but we also have unlimited car washes so I’m sure this also helps tremendously. Our 2008 RX is also spotless
Old 12-21-17, 06:34 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Two things:

POR-15 is a fantastic product for rustproofing. You apply it by brush or spray. If you have holes drilled, you open up the possibility of rust forming at the hole or even inside on the spots the solution did not touch. You'd need a lift to get under the car.

Secondly, Armor All is shiny (don't want to see your dash in the windshield) and has petroleum in it, which will dry out the dash or vinyl/leather. 303 Protectorant is a superior product. You can find this at BMW dealers or Marine Supply houses.
Isack4 (12-21-17)
Old 12-21-17, 04:58 PM
Isack4
Driver School Candidate

Okay great, Ive got it lined up to get it sprayed sunday, thanks for the reassurance.
Old 12-21-17, 05:12 PM
Isack4
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Two things:

POR-15 is a fantastic product for rustproofing. You apply it by brush or spray. If you have holes drilled, you open up the possibility of rust forming at the hole or even inside on the spots the solution did not touch. You'd need a lift to get under the car.

Secondly, Armor All is shiny (don't want to see your dash in the windshield) and has petroleum in it, which will dry out the dash or vinyl/leather. 303 Protectorant is a superior product. You can find this at BMW dealers or Marine Supply houses.
Seeing as I am going ahead with the Krown operation could I potentially use that product to touch up the edges of the holes if I have to? I think they do put matched colour caps on the drill holes.

Also will 303 be okay on the wood finish or just leather ect.? Should I be finding a different cleaner for every interior material or are there some products that can "crossover" ?
Thanks
Old 12-21-17, 09:11 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad U all really take care of yur LS's! I live in salt bathed Wisconsin guess I should have done this but don't really inspect under my car much. I just don't see any rust anywhere otherwise after 100k miles in salt treated roads though. Cheers
Old 12-22-17, 07:52 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Isack4
Seeing as I am going ahead with the Krown operation could I potentially use that product to touch up the edges of the holes if I have to? I think they do put matched colour caps on the drill holes.

Also will 303 be okay on the wood finish or just leather ect.? Should I be finding a different cleaner for every interior material or are there some products that can "crossover" ?
Thanks
Read the label, but I would think a dedicated wood treatment product, such as Hornby's would do better. The wood may have a poly coating on it, so the 303 should be okay.
Isack4 (12-23-17)
Old 12-22-17, 01:11 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The Lexus wood is finished just as the exterior paint is. Lexus says to treat it just as to you do the exterior. A good wax will work.
Isack4 (12-23-17)

Quick Reply: Should I "Rust Proof" my 2003 LS430 brought to Ontario?