Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

reminds me of the acura legend era
Old 12-23-17, 10:12 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
reminds me of the acura legend era
What reminds you about the Legend ? Just the competition between Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus ?
Old 12-24-17, 08:42 AM
GrnEyeDog
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Acura RL IS Honda Legend everywhere else except USA
Old 12-24-17, 10:38 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by GrnEyeDog
Acura RL IS Honda Legend everywhere else except USA
I didn't know that. I drove a Legend before my LS and when I replace the Legend I tried the RL. I didn't like it. It was nothing like the Legend and if it was I would have bought it.
Old 12-25-17, 06:57 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I owned/drove a 2002 RL before I got the LS. The RL was front wheel drive mated to a 3.5L V6 with NAV. It did nicely for me as a 30-something year old driver. The tranny was a very clunky first to second shifting, 4 speed. I think I purchased with 30k miles and paid $21k?? Can't remember.

Some interesting tidbits from my 7 years of ownership were a seized passenger right rear brake caliper. Had dealership repair it. I had leaking antifreeze from the radiator filler neck area. It was made of plastic and developed a crack. I had the dealership replace the radiator. A couple weeks later I noticed the black paint flaking off the radiator, and I looked a little closer, and there was no DENSO markings on the radiator while the old one had a flat area on the top edge, with DENSO embossed on the plastic. I suspected they used an AFTERMARKET radiator. Imagine, a dealership using aftermarket parts, WITHOUT informing me.!?

I took it back, and confronted the service manager, and he admitted they used an aftermarket radiator. The repair including hazardous disposal fee and all the added on BS came to about $300. I thought that was appropriate for an OEM, but not aftermarket. Regardless, I demanded they replace the aftermarket with a DENSO radiator. He complied, and I felt happy for winning that battle.

Another interesting item was during the wintertime. We had freezing rain/sleet, and when I went to open the driver's side door, the door handle BROKE because the door was frozen shut! That was a sight using an extension cord and hair dryer trying to thaw out where the door met the body!

Another interesting story is my RL shutting off around the DC BELTWAY during 7pm Friday night traffic!!!! I was literally cruising about 70mph in the second to fast lane when ALL the idiot lights came on, ding, ding, ding, and silence!!! 69mpn, 68mph, 67mph and sheer silence besides tire noise! Cars approaching quickly from behind, and I place right turn signal on and move all the way to the right hand shoulder. I sat there with hazard lights on trying to figure out what the hell just happened???? I cranked the car and she started fine. I place into drive attempting to merge into beltway traffic and she konks out again!!! I pull over again and now I'm worried, and it's dark, and cars are ZOOM. ZOOM. ZOOM! Luckily I had a cellphone, and called Acura roadside assistance. A flatbed arrived about an hour later, and took me to an Acura dealership outside of DC. Get this, it's a Friday night around 9pm and the dealership is STILL OPEN! Woot-woot!!!

I kid you not...as soon as the flatbed pulled into the Acura parking lot, about 4 Asian looking guys RUN up and eventually push my car into a bay. I felt like I was a NASCAR driver and the Asian pit crew from heaven were servicing me!The service writer interrogates me, and I said it simply shut off, the engine simply shut off while driving 70mph!!! He said to take a seat and they'll figure it out.

25 minutes later, he says it's ready. The bill was about $200. I said it's fixed?? He said yup. There was some sort of a fuel relay under the dash somewhere that was faulty! I said, do you mind if I drive in circles around your parking lot and facility, because I simply don't TRUST the car anymore, and I'm going onto the beltway, and I have to traverse the Chesapeake Bay BRIDGE/TUNNEL, where there is no breakdown lane!!! He said no problem, take my time.

Needless to say, I drove in circles for about 15 minutes before heading on my voyage again. I was on pins and needles and always in the slow lane and SO aware of vehicles around me after that experience. (Can you imagine how some of us drive, tailgating, etc, if the car in front of us has some sort of engine failure????!)

When I eventually sold the car with about 120k miles, it sounded like the car was riding on 4 pieces of granite. Turns out, the front wheel bearings were on their way out.

Other than those fond memories, and oh yea, the GPS was able to be manipulated while the car was in motion, I loved the RL.

I upgraded to the LS because the new RL at that time, was too small for my tastes.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 12-25-17 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 05:57 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
I drove a Legend before my LS
RIGHT ON! Before my 02 RL, I had a white 94 Legend with taupe leather. THAT car was awesome, and a head turner! I recall the 1 thing I didn't like about the Legend was, when closing the driver's side window, it didn't seal properly at the rear top corner if you tried closing it at highway speeds lol.
Old 12-27-17, 08:48 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
RIGHT ON! Before my 02 RL, I had a white 94 Legend with taupe leather. THAT car was awesome, and a head turner! I recall the 1 thing I didn't like about the Legend was, when closing the driver's side window, it didn't seal properly at the rear top corner if you tried closing it at highway speeds lol.
Mine was also a "94 .... a sedan. Champagne with a beige interior. I loved everything about that car, except I couldn't get the air conditioner to work. After 3 summers without A/C I got fed up and sold it. It was 17 years old then with about 140,000 miles and it drove so so nice. I do like my LS but I really loved driving that Legend.
Old 01-02-18, 10:09 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Transmission issue

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Any problems with RL trannys like the pilots and vans and TL's. I know early 2000's had some issues and even the rebuilds did not solve the problem.
The RL comes with a transmission cooler, less chances for it to go bad.