LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sound deadening Ls430? Even quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 03:12 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it'll make a huge difference. you may also want to change the door seals all the way around as well.
The bigger issue is that it will get much quieter and then all the wind noise will start to bother you.
You may want to consider removing the roof liner and applying some dynamat on the roof as well.
Old 02-11-18, 08:06 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by jinnjia
I wonder if anyone have done anything to the front wheel wells, noticed the rear wells are covered with felt/carpet type of material, but not the front.
Noticed some newer Lexus cars now have felt/carpet wheel wells for all 4 wheels.

Recently I have added some felt tape against the door's weather strip and can really notice the road noise reduction,
our door seals/weather strips are more than 10 years old and have surely lost some elasticity.
Can you provide images of rear wheel well felt/carpet coverings which you refer.
Also, is this a removable part? (whether glued in place)

Thanks
Old 02-12-18, 09:16 AM
SirPham
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The roof makes lots of noise. I have not tackled this yet, but if you just open the sunroof cover piece alone, not even open the sunroof, you can already hear lots of noise.
Old 02-12-18, 09:52 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by SirPham
The roof makes lots of noise. I have not tackled this yet, but if you just open the sunroof cover piece alone, not even open the sunroof, you can already hear lots of noise.
Anyone with images of LS430 with headliner removed?

Interested in what OEM used for NVH in roof area.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-24, 09:04 PM
victorjohn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cpcc
Did my 04 LS430 and my LX470 Worlds of Difference! Driving it side by side to my wifes 03 UL430, you really notice it.
Did the doors, took the seats and carpet out and lined the tub. Used Dynamat only in the doors, then dynamat topped with open and closed cell foams. Didnt do the roof, appeared to be too involved.
Would highly recommend it.
I would be very interested to hear more about what you encountered when you sound deadened your LS 430. I’m considering doing the same to my 2006 LS 430 but wondering what kind of insulation in the sound deadening material might already be in the vehicle. Was there enough room to install sound deadening material and retain the existing insulation? I saw a video where a guy removed the door card and it looked like the door was very well insulated. Where did you apply insulation on the doors? Thank you very much in advance!
Old 03-26-24, 02:52 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 255 Likes on 210 Posts

The Car Care Nut did a video with the interior stripped out.
That should show you what you want to see.
Old 03-27-24, 11:30 AM
victorjohn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
The Car Care Nut did a video with the interior stripped out.
That should show you what you want to see.
Thank you BigBoomer. I've actually seen this video and he does a great job going through the entire vehicle. I may need to watch it again. You'll see that the door interiors are down to pretty much bare metal. I watched another video of a guy (I think it was also the the Car Nut) remove the door card and there was a lot of insulation already there. It didn't seem like there was room to put in anything more. I don't recall seeing that in this video or him removing the door insulation but again I'll need to watch it again. I was driving home late last night on the highway and really trying to determine the source area of road noise and I believe a good share of it is coming from the doors. I guess the only real way to see what's back there is to remove the door card and inspect the door's interior. I did take my Db meter and measured the sound mid cabin verse next to the door and the door is 5 Db higher than the center of the cabin which I guess makes sense. I think my plan will be to start with the wheel wells and possibly attempt to do the doors as well if there's room or real estate for further sound insulation. Thanks for sharing!