LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need to paint bumper on my LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 12:48 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need to paint bumper on my LS 430

I have a creamy white 2006 LS430 and the bumper is chipping away with the black underside showing through. I have had several quotes ranging from $850 to $1450 to have it painted which seems very high to me. I've been researching car painters in Florida and Maaco has had several very good reviews. I don't think of that company as a luxury car paint service wondering if anyone has had experience with them or if you have any recommendations.

Thank you.
djs
Old 01-05-18, 01:51 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by djs123
I have a creamy white 2006 LS430 and the bumper is chipping away with the black underside showing through. I have had several quotes ranging from $850 to $1450 to have it painted which seems very high to me. I've been researching car painters in Florida and Maaco has had several very good reviews. I don't think of that company as a luxury car paint service wondering if anyone has had experience with them or if you have any recommendations.

Thank you.
djs
Maaco is terrible please do not go to them and that's way to high those estimates are unreasonable $300-$700 is a reasonable price for the bumper I live in NY and stuff is really expensive here. Is your bumper cracked at all?
Old 01-05-18, 02:32 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 about staying far away from Maaco. Repainting our bumpers is not as simple as it sounds. The entire bumper must be removed from the car and all imperfections, blemishes, and damages must be sanded down and repaired. Chances are you have 3 stage paint which needs to be done carefully in a dust proof booth to avoid contaminants such as dust and debris adhering to the paint. Then it must be baked for a period of time and reassembled carefully as not to damage the paint. Most dealerships and professional body shops charge close to $1500 to redo both bumpers. I know because I priced mine around a year or so ago. I was lucky to get a reputable dealership I've been dealing with for 13 years (as I know the owner) to do both bumpers for me for $750 if I got the chrome trim piece. The car came out great with a slight difference noticeable in the shade on viewing from the side which I've gotten used to. After all, my car is over 16 years old and matching plastic bumpers (especially silver) being painted to original metal surface paint is a difficult task. You get what you pay for, and nicely done newly painted bumpers make the car pop. I also had my headlights refinished by a private company and my car to this day looks new! Get a reputable place and pay what you think it is worth but if it's too cheap, you will know why.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 01-05-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 02:38 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Agree that Maaco is probably not a good idea. The issue here is that you really need more than done than just having the bumper cover painted. If it's chipped, all that must be sanded, smoothed out, and primed, et cetera. There is some work in that. Perhaps you could do some of it yourself to save some bucks.

Prices depend on local market conditions. If you get enough quotes, you will establish what the job will cost.
Old 01-05-18, 02:53 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
+1 about staying far away from Maaco. Repainting our bumpers is not a simple as it sounds. The entire bumper must be removed from the car and all imperfections, blemishes, and damages must be sanded down and repaired. Chances are you have 3 stage paint which needs to be done carefully in a dust proof booth to avoid contaminants such as dust and debris adhering to the paint. Then it must be baked for a period of time and reassembled carefully as not to damage the paint. Most dealerships and professional body shops charge close to $1500 to redo both bumpers. I know because I priced my around a year or so ago. I was lucky to get a reputable dealership I've been dealing with for 13 years (as I know the owner) to do both bumpers for me for $750 if I got the chrome trim piece. The car came out great with a slight difference noticeable in the shade on viewing from the side which I've gotten used to. After all, my car is over 16 years old and matching plastic bumpers (especially silver) being painted to original metal surface paint is a difficult task. You get what you pay for, and nicely done newly painted bumpers make the car pop. I also had my headlights refinished by a private company and my car to this day looks new! Get a reputable place and pay what you think it is worth but if it's too cheap, you will know why.
I am curious to know if he needs a new bumper cover.
Old 01-05-18, 03:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I am curious to know if he needs a new bumper cover.
It's entirely up to the shop. My front bumper was badly chipped with indentations and other deformities that the body shop absorbed in their repairs but nothing was significant. . Some shops will require a new bumper which adds at least another $300+ to the cost. Chipping and some body fill is expected, but ripped off bumper pieces and large damage will most likely require a new bumper.
Old 01-05-18, 06:51 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

look on e bay. I got a oem bumper cover sent to me by greyhound 400 bucks plus install. Same color perfect.
Old 01-05-18, 07:23 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No reason to spend that kinda money on a bumper repaint. $500 max. It's a bumper, which gets bumped.
Old 01-06-18, 05:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

A good quality (but not super premium) re-spray paint on a bumper should be $300-400 per bumper. Shop around for some competitive estimates from some pro independent shops - no reason it should be more. Check with local Lexus and Toyota service writers - they may have some smaller independent paint shops to recommend. Stay away from el cheapo nation chain paint shops they will likely badly match your paint and make it look worse.

If the bumper covers are physically damaged it may be better to get new covers rather than try to repair old covers in addition to the paint.
Old 01-06-18, 06:49 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
A good quality (but not super premium) re-spray paint on a bumper should be $300-400 per bumper. Shop around for some competitive estimates from some pro independent shops - no reason it should be more. Check with local Lexus and Toyota service writers - they may have some smaller independent paint shops to recommend. Stay away from el cheapo nation chain paint shops they will likely badly match your paint and make it look worse.

If the bumper covers are physically damaged it may be better to get new covers rather than try to repair old covers in addition to the paint.
Agreed the Lexus dealer wanted $1600 to redo my rear bumper my friends father's shop wanted $300 dealerships will always be more and just buy new bumper covers because it's easier and less time consuming than sanding and re primering 3-8 times.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 01-06-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 07:12 AM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks so much for all your replies. Yes my bumper would definitely need to be sanded and I'm glad I checked with you about Maaco. My instincts told me that would not be a good option. I guess I'll have to continue my search.
I am totally unaware of bumper covers. I will look on ebay to see what I can find. I have a white car, not sure what to look for but I will do a search. No one really notices the chips on my bumper but when I look at the car, it's all I see. Thanks for all the advice.

dj
Old 01-06-18, 07:46 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Does it usually come off to paint? Then ya have to hook up work around sensors.
Old 01-06-18, 08:25 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Last summer I t boned a delivery truck and hard enough to bring his truck to a stop. His truck was completely disabled with a broken axle, bent wheel and crushed quarter panel. All that happened to my LS was a destroyed licence plate frame and licence plate and a pretty badly scraped bumper cover. That was a miracle IMO. I was quoted $1,600 including high Canadian tax, for a bumper cover replacement and repaint. ( This included replacing a parking sensor that was scratched but still working - a very nice touch all by itself ) When the shop looked and found they were not able to order the bumper cover from Lexus ( I was standing there on speaker and heard this myself ) they searched and could not find a used one so all of a sudden mine could be repaired and the price dropped to $1,000 I walked away, fixed it myself for about $ 50 in sandpaper and paint. Of course it's far from perfect but its "good enough" and doesn't really bother me. No one notices its been repaired !
When I point it out my body work to my buddys they ask me if I can help them fix their bumper !

I may become an issue when I sell or trade the car, as the rest of the car is perfect, but I figure I will take another hit then. The LS is a tank. you should have seen the truck !!!
Old 01-07-18, 03:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I need mine resprayed too, the Lexus dealer quoted me around $500.
Old 01-07-18, 04:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

A great bodyshop around here (Chicago IL) will probably charge around $6-800 for that front bumper. A good one probably around $450-500 and a crappy one probably in the ballpark of $350-400

The quotes you got are very high. Not sure if it's a regional thing.

Quick Reply: Need to paint bumper on my LS 430