LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fixed steering wheel volume controls with a simple reset procedure

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 10:06 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fixed steering wheel volume controls with a simple reset procedure

As with other members my volume controls on steering have stopped working for over a year. Years ago when I first got the car, it worked and I loved using it instead of the volume ****. I'm surprised it took me this long to finally fix it. I was about to disassemble my steering wheel and swap out new volume control or maybe thought it was my clockspring. I started making a list of what I needed done to give some needed attention to my car. Anyway, I found the procedure for the sc430 but it works for the Ls430 as I can confirm it works.

STEPS: MUST COMPLETE PROCEDURE WITHIN 30 SEC AFTER TURNING KEY TO ACC.
1) TURN KEY TO ACC POSITION.
2) HOLD MODE BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL FOR AT LEAST 10 SECONDS.
3) AFTER 10 SECONDS RELEASE MODE BUTTON, PRESS UP ^ BUTTON 3 TIMES. LOCATED ON TOP OF THE MODE BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL.
4) THEN PRESS DOWN BUTTON 3 TIMES. LOCATED UNDER MODE BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL.
5) TURN KEY TO ON POSITION. THEN TURN OFF.

HOPEFULLY STEERING WHEEL VOLUME WORKS AGAIN LIKE MINE DID. I THOUGHT IT WAS A MIRACLE!
The following 6 users liked this post by doodoo:
2KHarrier (01-10-18), aypues (11-30-19), Fish (01-11-18), H8l8n (Today), Jabberwock (06-09-21), sha4000 (01-10-18) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-10-18, 08:29 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice!
Old 01-11-18, 09:35 PM
Fish
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It didn’t work on my first try but it worked on my second try, thank you!!
Old 01-14-19, 06:51 PM
Sulley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this fixed my issue! thank you so much!
Old 01-15-19, 04:30 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

yup, there was another thread about it that i posted on also. mine was intermittent as we had a problem with our clock spring. once everything finally stopped working (when my wife was daily driving the car) i put it off b/c i was nervous about taking the Lexus steering wheel apart. i have done my Jeeps & my old Yukon, but the Lexus just made me nervous. when my wife got her newer truck, i decided to tackle the job. i figured if i messed up something, it was an extra vehicle at that point, so it didn't matter. i replaced the clock spring and everything was working except for the volume. i tried the procedure and the 1st time it didn't work (but i left the radio on). but later when i did it a second time (with radio off) it fixed it. i was so happy, lol.

i did read some where that the volume on the radio had to be working properly also.
The following users liked this post:
H8l8n (Today)
Old 03-10-21, 08:22 PM
tazigdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Thank you!!!!!

Originally Posted by doodoo
As with other members my volume controls on steering have stopped working for over a year. Years ago when I first got the car, it worked and I loved using it instead of the volume ****. I'm surprised it took me this long to finally fix it. I was about to disassemble my steering wheel and swap out new volume control or maybe thought it was my clock spring. I started making a list of what I needed done to give some needed attention to my car. Anyway, I found the procedure for the sc430 but it works for the Ls430 as I can confirm it works.

3) AFTER 10 SECONDS RELEASE MODE BUTTON, PRESS UP ^ BUTTON 3 TIMES. LOCATED ON TOP OF THE MODE BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL.

HOPEFULLY STEERING WHEEL VOLUME WORKS AGAIN LIKE MINE DID. I THOUGHT IT WAS A MIRACLE!
This worked perfectly!!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
H8l8n (Today)
Old 06-08-21, 07:32 PM
Blaga
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar issue with my 2011 Camry, I installed an android headunit and programmed the volume buttons on the steering wheel and they worked, but I ended up taking out the aftermarket radio and putting the OEM oneback in, however the steering wheel volume buttons don't work anymore, I think they got "deprogrammed" or something but I tried these steps and it still doesn't work for me. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-10-21, 09:38 PM
yp21
Driver School Candidate

The volume controls stopped working over a year ago on my LS. Came across this thread and thought I'd give it a try, and it worked! Steering wheel volume controls work again. Thanks OP!
Old 02-25-24, 03:34 AM
Qudus
1st Gear

Originally Posted by doodoo
As with other members my volume controls on steering have stopped working for over a year. Years ago when I first got the car, it worked and I loved using it instead of the volume ****. I'm surprised it took me this long to finally fix it. I was about to disassemble my steering wheel and swap out new volume control or maybe thought it was my clockspring. I started making a list of what I needed done to give some needed attention to my car. Anyway, I found the procedure for the sc430 but it works for the Ls430 as I can confirm it works.

Can it also works for Toyota Camry 2008