LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trunk Latch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 10:16 PM
2ManyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trunk Latch Problem

There have been many trunk latch issues on this forum, and I am now experiencing it with my 2006 LS460. I have read and implemented the various suggestions of various trunk issue to no avail. I am hoping a a forum moderator or expert, such as Micaiah/Bichon or bigblack06, can help me with my trunk issue. Key FOB, interior cabin switch, interior emergency trunk switch, exterior trunk electronic & manual key switches were not OPENING the trunk with the VALET switch in the OFF/Disabled (pushed in) position. Solenoid appeared to be unlocking the latch using the emergency switch and key but not opening the trunk. Battery & fuse disconnect did not fix issue. Pulling up on trunk when unlocked "opened" the trunk". However, now it does not close, and I hope I did not "break" anything forcing it open. Trunk latch appears to be in a VALET closed position (solenoid pushing latch counter pin such that "C" clamp is in higher (10 O'clock versus 9) position. I also notice the electronic trunk "Close" switch does not work, and assumed it due to a interconnect that is not being satisfied (possibly the latch being in the closed position). However, when I put the latch in the open (6 O'clock) position, the trunk "Close" switch still doesn't work. The latch is placed into the "Open" (6 O'clock position by operation the emergency switch and THEN using the manual key. If the manual emergency switch is not used first, the key does not activate the solenoid to rotate the "C" clamp to the open position. I could care less about the electronic trunk close switch operation, but need the trunk latch to operate properly. Based upon the operation of the latch when the trunk is open, I don't believe the trunk will open if I close it. Best I can tell is the VALET switch is broken such that the disabled/pushed in position is not being sensed properly (by the latch solenoid). Does the VALET switch circuit have a seperate fuse? What fuse panel & fuse # is it? Or is there a way I can troubleshoot the VALET switch? I would appreciate if anyone has any idea of what this particular issue is or what I could try to fix it? It would be extremely helpful if I knew the various modes & interlocks of the trunk operation. Thanks, in advance!
Old 01-12-20, 11:18 AM
Diplocar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced mine yesterday, thanks for the helpful pictures and explanation! I ended up with an extra plastic plug.