LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 LS430 Car Jolts (Jerk) when downshifts from 2 to 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 01:24 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Ok... thanks for your clarification.and presenting a diagram....THERE IS A THROTTLE POSITION SEBSOR contained within the THROTTLE BODY on the 2004-2006 LS430...

So back to my original comment....Have your throttle body TPS checked.

One thing this diagram provides are symbols for the Pedal Position Sensor and Throttle Position Sensor...they are both dual variable resistors...on each sensor one track reads when accelerator pedal is moving in one direction and the other the opposite direction so acceleration and deceleration activity is accurately read by ECU.

If a worn spot in the variable resistor, then ECU's reading of resistance will suffer.

This may be hard to derect without removing the parts and actuallu hooking up to a multimeterto check resistance across the sweep of both tracks of TPS and Pedal Position Sensor

These sensors are electromechanical devices and they do wear out, so worth looking into first.

There is also a motor and (clutch?) in your throttle body to consider.

Sometimes the dealer technician has tthe benefit of having a spare part on hand to assist with trouble-shooting...
Thanks everybody for all the input and thanks you rkw7708 for the diagrams and the education on the TPS.
so YODAONE it sound like I need hook up and measure the resistance on Pedal Position Sensor and Throttle Position Sensor. I assume I do that after I put back the ECU.
Old 02-27-18, 04:29 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Sorry for the delay but I finally got my ECU back last night from SIA Electronics. It looks like they finally fixed it correctly and the gear shift issue has been fixed.
Here is the summary of what happened.

1, The car started jolting when it down shifted from gear 2 to 1
2, Got a appointment with the Lexus dealer but it was a week away
3. Took it to a local Toyota certified Master Technician, He checked the Transmission fluid level, recommended flushing the Transmission. Cost $50
4. Took to a Transmission expert, He said Transmission is OK, recommended taking it to Lexus. Cost $90
5. Took it to Lexus dealer. They Said it is the ECU, which would cost $2272 to replace. Service cost $116
6. Send the ECU to SIA. Cost $135 + $15 (S&H) + $5 (Insurance) = $155
7. Got the ECU back 10 days later, Installed it but has the same problem
8. Spoke with Lexus, they questioned the Transmission fluid level. So asked them drain fluid and new and check level and then run the diagnostics again on the ECU. Two days later they told me the ECU is bad and the fluid level change will not make a difference. When I asked for the diagnostic printouts they told me there are NO diagnostic tests they have for the ECU. When they see this problem they replace ECU. Cost for the service $0.
9. Spoke with SIA, sent the ECU back to them. Cost $15 (S&H). Warranty covers the part for lifetime.
10 Got the ECU back 10 days later, Installed it and it worked.
11. Total money spent $426 (some was wasted)

If you have this problem I think you should do the following:

1. Remove the ECU and send it to online repair shop. But get someone on the phone to get a verbal commitment for the turnaround time.Because SIA on their site advertises 2 days which is incorrect. If you are OK to wait 10 days then feel free to use them.
2. Install and if it does not fix the problem, then take it to a Lexus dealer for then to diagnose the problem.
3. Then follow one the steps above.

Thanks you all for sticking around and giving all the valuable input.

Last edited by LexInFL; 02-27-18 at 04:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by LexInFL:
Hanah (11-15-21), LexusOC (07-28-18), potaijee (03-13-19), Shonuff00 (12-30-21)
Old 02-28-18, 01:42 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i had this problem several months ago, it feels like someone is slamming into the back of the car when shifting from 2 to 1 when braking. The harder you braked, the harder the rear end slam. But then I took a long fast drive to Florida, about a thousand miles and it hasn't happened since.
Old 02-28-18, 04:38 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by toddmorr
i had this problem several months ago, it feels like someone is slamming into the back of the car when shifting from 2 to 1 when braking. The harder you braked, the harder the rear end slam. But then I took a long fast drive to Florida, about a thousand miles and it hasn't happened since.
I can tell you it wasn't Florida that fixed the issue because I live here. . Maybe you just become immune to it after a 1000 miles
Yes that is problem I was having. Not sure why driving would fix the problem other than the heat somehow fixing some lose connection on the ECU board. It looks like a common problem on the LS and GS but no recall by Lexus. They have to get sued before they recall.
Old 03-01-18, 06:58 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah a loose ECU connection is plausible. I suppose something may have gotten gummed up inside the trans and a long hot drive loosened it. Not sure, i only know it hasn't come back, even after repeating the exact braking pattern. Am a bit surprised Lexus isn't on this more, with aggressive braking the slam is really quite violent and shoves the car forward several feet. If that happened to my wife she would freak.
Old 03-15-18, 02:22 AM
Adams2018
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the exact same problem with my 2006 Lexus GS300. Where is the ECM located ? Is it under the hood or the passenger compartmen ?
thx
Old 07-28-18, 04:25 PM
LexusOC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LexInFL - You are a star!!! Thank you. Thank you.

Originally Posted by LexInFL
Sorry for the delay but I finally got my ECU back last night from SIA Electronics. It looks like they finally fixed it correctly and the gear shift issue has been fixed.

3. Took it to a local Toyota certified Master Technician, He checked the Transmission fluid level, recommended flushing the Transmission. Cost $50
4. Took to a Transmission expert, He said Transmission is OK, recommended taking it to Lexus. Cost $90
5. Took it to Lexus dealer. They Said it is the ECU, which would cost $2272 to replace. Service cost $116
8. Spoke with Lexus, they questioned the Transmission fluid level. So asked them drain fluid and new and check level and then run the diagnostics again on the ECU. Two days later they told me the ECU is bad and the fluid level change will not make a difference. When I asked for the diagnostic printouts they told me there are NO diagnostic tests they have for the ECU. When they see this problem they replace ECU. Cost for the service $0.
9. Spoke with SIA, sent the ECU back to them. Cost $15 (S&H). Warranty covers the part for lifetime.

1. Remove the ECU and send it to online repair shop. But get someone on the phone to get a verbal commitment for the turnaround time.Because SIA on their site advertises 2 days which is incorrect. If you are OK to wait 10 days then feel free to use them.
2. Install and if it does not fix the problem, then take it to a Lexus dealer for then to diagnose the problem.

This post saved me thousands of $$$. Thank you so much LexInFL.
I have a 2004 LS430 (127K miles). The same problem occurred to me with harsh 2-1 downshift. I brought it to Lexus dealer and they had master technician look at it for 2 hours. They told me the transmission is going bad. I show them Technical Service Information Bulletin L-SB-0126-12 (December 4, 2012). They still insisted that it was for GS. LS never had this problem. He also mentioned that ES has the same problem. I sent my ECU to SIA for repair. Within hours after they received my ECU, they fixed the problem. I asked them how could they be sure that the problem was fixed. He told me that they received about 12 cases with the same problem every week. After I received the repaired ECU, I did transmission flush twice. And the car is running like new now. Lexus really needs to put out another TSIB to warn LS owners.
The following users liked this post:
DMalloy (06-30-20)
Old 09-03-18, 07:01 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Brilliant.
I am glad it helped. It is cheaper to send it to SIA than to do anything else.
Do the other things only if they don't fix the ECU.
The following users liked this post:
pastormike (09-09-20)
Old 03-11-19, 06:27 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

LexInFL, it seems that more and more lexus forum members are discovering that ECM is the reason for poor shifting quality. Can i ask you to share your thoughts on how shifting works for you as of today after half a year driving with the new ECM on board?
Old 09-09-20, 12:35 PM
pastormike
Driver School Candidate

I had this same problem. I pulled the ECM and sent it to SAI electronics ( https://siaelec.com ). They reprogrammed it. Perfect fix. I sent it the Tuesday before Labor Day weekend. I had it back the Wednesday after Labor Day....8 days total. $180.00. Fixed problem after being told there were trans problems.
Old 09-09-20, 08:42 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is an article describing the issue in a little more detail: https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/n...n-lexus-drive/
Old 09-10-20, 10:33 PM
LexInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by ls430w140
LexInFL, it seems that more and more lexus forum members are discovering that ECM is the reason for poor shifting quality. Can i ask you to share your thoughts on how shifting works for you as of today after half a year driving with the new ECM on board?
No problem with the shifting after the fix.
Old 10-24-21, 06:52 PM
lexusinOC
Driver School Candidate

[Incomplete Post - Deleted]

Last edited by lexusinOC; 10-24-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-24-21, 06:57 PM
lexusinOC
Driver School Candidate

Original Post by LexInFL:

I have the exact same problem on my 2005 Lexus LS430 with 160K miles. I have a few questions regarding your suggested course of action:

1. Where is the ECU located and is it easy to remove. If there is a link to instructions or a video on how to remove it, can you please post.
2. When you contact SIA (https://siaelec.com), what issue(s) are you asking them to fix. Or are you just asking them to fix to factory specs.
3. When you get the ECU back from SIA is there any reprogramming you have to do to ensure it works on your Lexus / Key. Or not needed if it is your car's ECU unit.

Thanks,
Old 11-15-21, 10:51 PM
Hanah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexInFL

God Bless you LexInFL!
Thanks for your post, I was able to save $2400 due to Lexus dealers. They are a scam.
Sia was taking 10 days to return, ebay price was really good.
But I sent it to Digital auto Technology in Riverside,CA, Almost double price but they shipped next day after fixing it.
My son was able to remove and install it back after watching youtube videos, took less than 5 minutes.
Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Quick Reply: 2005 LS430 Car Jolts (Jerk) when downshifts from 2 to 1