LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can someone explain whats so appealing about this

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 08:37 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Can someone explain whats so appealing about this

My personal opinion is those cars look beyond stupid, can someone explain to me the appeal of them i understand different strokes for different folks but i do not understand cars like these.

What is there purpose? Is there a specific reason they are like this i cant wrap my head around it and maybe i am not understanding or missing something, and try to be open minded.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 01-27-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 08:47 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

The VIP style is very big in Japan, they have done alot of different styles over the years with car modding. They try to mod it to be as low as possible, fitting some of the widest wheels with deep dish and as flush as possible. In order to do some of that they need to add alot of camber, so at some point the rear wheels have little contact. Most don't actually drive like that, alot will be on air suspension and the car is layed out when parked, so theres more camber in the back. It takes alot of work to even make alot of these car possible with expensive suspension components and as these cars have alot of body work to mold in a wider body and to finish the body to almost look stock. Most VIP cars use higher end components and don't cheap out on stuff. I personally thought it was dumb when I first saw it but I really like the way some of the cars are done. I actually bought my LS because I was inspired by VIP cars, but once I had it I never modded it that way because I liked how comfortable it was stock and didn't want to mess anything up. Basically a part of it too in the VIP culture in Japan is that everyone wants to out do each other in crazyness and see how big of a wheel and how much camber the cars can have. Look at the bosozoku cars.
Personally this is my favorite one.

Honestly if I'm going to have a flush look I much perfer the look like the picture above without camber. It takes more work almost getting those wheels to fit without using tons of camber.

This is really clean and I would love to have my car like this.

http://www.stancenation.com/2012/12/...s-lexus-ls430/
Old 01-27-18, 10:29 PM
ptat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a style of customizing cars. Some like speed, others aesthetics.
Old 01-27-18, 10:37 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ptat
It's a style of customizing cars. Some like speed, others aesthetics.
I understand that but what is the purpose i would add headers to get more horsepower or overfenders to put wider wheels on my car to get better traction they all have a purpose in doing those mods to accomplish an overall goal.

Like what is the overall "endgame" modifying a car like that
Old 01-27-18, 10:53 PM
ptat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I understand that but what is the purpose i would add headers to get more horsepower or overfenders to put wider wheels on my car to get better traction they all have a purpose in doing those mods to accomplish an overall goal.

Does it really need to have a defined purpose or 'endgame?' It's for aesthetics so I don't think it has a much functionality in mind (form vs. function). Some people modify a car a specific way literally 'just because they can.' I know I do.
Old 01-27-18, 11:13 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same question earlier today when I went to the burrito truck.......

i pulled in the same time as this other car did. He attempted to place his order first. He was driving an old school car ( Oldsmobile or something) candy painted, 26” wheels and the speakers were blasting. He had speakers coming out the grill and the rear of the car. I stood behind him as he attempted to order his food. He parked 10ft away from the truck and the lady could not hear him. He was shouting at her and he said “ I’ll be right back”. I thought he was gonna turn down his music but he didn’t. After a minute of waiting, I just cut him in line and ordered my food. The music was so loud that I had to scream at her. The whole time wishing she wouldn’t mess up my order. After I placed my order, dude came back and ordered his food. Music still blasting.

Smh.
Old 01-28-18, 12:13 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man Corona beer, keeping it real classy there.

Seriously though I'd be impressed if some of these VIP guys actually do put a mini-bar that folds out of the glovebox, instead of one of those stupid drink trays that clips into the dash.

Old 01-28-18, 05:13 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Trying so hard to impress. Not my cup of tea. Having said that individual owners are 100% free to do and spend what they want on their car and what they think makes it look "good". Lots of folks love modding their car to extremes and there seems to be a good size culture and population to support this kind of thing and the shows to display their creations. There are a lot worse ways people can spend money.
Old 01-28-18, 05:48 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518

An interesting film to watch would be "Kei To The City" It was made by a couple Australian guys who have a YT channel called Mighty Car Mods. These guys are into the whole JDM car scene, and they take a trip to Japan to immerse themselves in the car culture over there. It actually gave me some insight on the whole mindset of car modding in Japan. Not so much with the VIP scene, but mods in general. Things we do to cars over here, to make them seem more "JDM" are the things that they do to cars in Japan because that's what they have available. I always thought that was amusing...
Old 01-28-18, 07:38 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
I had the same question earlier today when I went to the burrito truck.......

i pulled in the same time as this other car did. He attempted to place his order first. He was driving an old school car ( Oldsmobile or something) candy painted, 26” wheels and the speakers were blasting. He had speakers coming out the grill and the rear of the car. I stood behind him as he attempted to order his food. He parked 10ft away from the truck and the lady could not hear him. He was shouting at her and he said “ I’ll be right back”. I thought he was gonna turn down his music but he didn’t. After a minute of waiting, I just cut him in line and ordered my food. The music was so loud that I had to scream at her. The whole time wishing she wouldn’t mess up my order. After I placed my order, dude came back and ordered his food. Music still blasting.

Smh.
Yah that stuff pisses me off beyond belief its like not everyone shares the same enthusiasm for ludacris please turn it down.....you live in the south i take it, I am guessing florida?

Originally Posted by kitabel
what is the overall "endgame" modifying a car like that

It screams "I'M BETTER THAN YOU", but no one believes it.
Thats how I view it i have noticed that people that do the crazy camber vip thing are what kira x calls "the vape bro's" basically there the most unfriendly judgmental people in the car community.

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
An interesting film to watch would be "Kei To The City" It was made by a couple Australian guys who have a YT channel called Mighty Car Mods. These guys are into the whole JDM car scene, and they take a trip to Japan to immerse themselves in the car culture over there. It actually gave me some insight on the whole mindset of car modding in Japan. Not so much with the VIP scene, but mods in general. Things we do to cars over here, to make them seem more "JDM" are the things that they do to cars in Japan because that's what they have available. I always thought that was amusing...
I love mighty car mods great guys very knowlegable and in japan there car culture is just different there is no right or wrong way everyone gets along and embraces eachother, the american car scene should take a page from there book, or even Australia summernats!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Trying so hard to impress. Not my cup of tea. Having said that individual owners are 100% free to do and spend what they want on their car and what they think makes it look "good". Lots of folks love modding their car to extremes and there seems to be a good size culture and population to support this kind of thing and the shows to display their creations. There are a lot worse ways people can spend money.

I agree with that i just think it should be car show only gets trailered back and fourth i see people driving cars like that all the time and it really, aggravates me because its a health and safety type of thing. In my head why would you spend money to make your car more unsafe than it came from the factory that mindset baffles me.

Does it really need to have a defined purpose or 'endgame?' It's for aesthetics so I don't think it has a much functionality in mind (form vs. function). Some people modify a car a specific way literally 'just because they can.' I know I do.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​Yah doesnt it seem kinda silly to just throw random parts on a car in no order with no end result in mind?
Old 01-28-18, 07:58 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would feel like a limo driver in my own car with all of the VIP tables, curtains & such. I'd rather my car be to my benefit over my passengers'. That being said, some of the fender & suspension work done to the vip cars absolutely amazes me, so while I have zero interest in doing any of this stuff, I can appreciate the attention to detail that is put into it.
Old 01-28-18, 08:38 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AgedGS
I would feel like a limo driver in my own car with all of the VIP tables, curtains & such. I'd rather my car be to my benefit over my passengers'. That being said, some of the fender & suspension work done to the vip cars absolutely amazes me, so while I have zero interest in doing any of this stuff, I can appreciate the attention to detail that is put into it.
I am not saying its crappy work its a lot of attention to detail but are they not worried about getting smacked in the head with a tray table in an accident? Lol
Old 01-28-18, 08:42 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Junction Produce is extreme expensive stuff and was big in Japan in the 90s .... I'd agree its tacky stuff and pretty much useless but its made to the highest standards of fit and quality.
Try driving in North America with a bottle of alcohol on display. I expect is was developed and used mostly is car shows and exhibits. I would NOT put that sort of nonsense in my Lexus if it was given to me or if I was paid to use it !
Old 01-28-18, 09:40 AM
ptat
Driver School Candidate

People like what they like. We can sit here all day long and tell you what it is, what it does (pretty much nothing), and what it's all about, but we can't understand it for you.
Old 01-28-18, 10:03 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

People like what they like. We can sit here all day long and tell you what it is, what it does (pretty much nothing), and what it's all about, but we can't understand it for you.
So it does nothing and is a personal choice is what your saying?

Thats why i asked, if i dont understand something i dont just write it off i would rather ask questions, research and gather facts about it then formulate and opinion.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain whats so appealing about this