LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Front central armrest removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 09:23 PM
Ajd43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front central armrest removal

Lexus LS 430 2002. I need to remove the front central armrest to repair the upholstery which has a hole in it. I have tried to remove the ten screws on the underside of the armrest but nothing moved. Do I have to remove the whole box that contains the upper tray and the lower box which has a cigarette lighter in it.
Old 04-23-18, 06:59 PM
dandepries
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, removing it seem the easiest way. I'm i the middle of doing that, too, for the same reason. Once you get the two hex bolts out of the bottom of the box and the four bolts and one screw under the rear vent ( the vent pulls out easily from inside the box), you have to just coax the box out from the rear of it forward. I used a stiff putty knife to gently pry it loose all around and then it popped out easily. The hard part I've found is unplugging the little lamp and power outlet to free the box from the console frame. I haven't figured that out yet.
Old 04-25-18, 10:38 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dandepries
Yes, removing it seem the easiest way. I'm i the middle of doing that, too, for the same reason. Once you get the two hex bolts out of the bottom of the box and the four bolts and one screw under the rear vent ( the vent pulls out easily from inside the box), you have to just coax the box out from the rear of it forward. I used a stiff putty knife to gently pry it loose all around and then it popped out easily. The hard part I've found is unplugging the little lamp and power outlet to free the box from the console frame. I haven't figured that out yet.
I just did this job yesterday so may be able to help. The reason why I had to do it is because of the latch not working properly but the same procedure applies. I found it difficult to get to the elec connectors also but found that by removing them from the plastic holders first I was able to get both hands in there, unplug the connectors and then was able to remove the whole box and work on it. The connectors could be removed by sliding it up on the holder and then it came free allowing me more room to unplug the connectors. After completing the fix to the latch it was easy to place the box back in the console, reconnect the elec and then slide it back on to the holders. In addition, I used a plastic trim removal tool to help coax the box out of the console to prevent scratches etc.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by LSGarry; 04-26-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-26-18, 12:02 PM
markwhit
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default armrest

You will have to start at the very bottom and pull up the little pad you will see i think two 10m screws. I would do a search on arm rest removal since alot of us already had to remove it including me. You cant just remove the 10 little screws (that would be too easy)..