LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Seat and mirrors go crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 05:55 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Thumbs down Seat and mirrors go crazy

Where do I start? Suddenly the seat position and mirror adjustments go wild slamming me into the steering wheel and turning the mirrors down. Then I reset it and for a day or two, everything is fine, then it goes crazy again??? Where are these signals coming from?
Also the drivers window will sometimes only go up in steps. an inch at a time.
Old 02-05-18, 06:11 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Where do I start? Suddenly the seat position and mirror adjustments go wild slamming me into the steering wheel and turning the mirrors down. Then I reset it and for a day or two, everything is fine, then it goes crazy again??? Where are these signals coming from?
Also the drivers window will sometimes only go up in steps. an inch at a time.
I appreciate your dramatized effects, but the seat motors aren't going to "go wild slamming" you into the steering wheel!

Perhaps you're using the 2nd key fob, and that fob has the seat and mirror MEMORY positioned so that a height challenged person would be comfortably positioned to drive? Each keyfob can be programmed/associated with the vehicle, so that when it's used, the car adjusts the seats/headrests/mirrors/etc to that keyfob's preset.

I believe the driver's window is a 100% separate issue, and aside from motor/regulator/track/etc, can't provide much insight on that issue.
Old 02-05-18, 06:14 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I suggest you start with a tow truck that takes your car to a professional automotive electrician since it isn't safe to drive. Maybe the ECU that controls the seat and mirror memory has failed.
Old 02-05-18, 06:22 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Did you look inside your driver-side door for any signs of water leakage/damage? The seat memory switches and outside mirror are all linked to the driver door ECU.

Regarding the window, water damage can cause moving parts to bind or the motor to short out.

Old 02-05-18, 06:26 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

If all else fails,Take it to a priest!
Old 02-05-18, 07:51 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

The argument I have with the first responder might be the definition of "slamming" OK the speed is measured in inches per second. BUT, yes it does push me into the steering wheel. And yes it does go wild. It does not always do the same or predictable adjustments....thus going wild.....

It always happens on entering the car and turning on the ignition. Never while driving.

It is always the same fob. The second one is in my wifes purse and mine is in my pocket. Can two fobs be in the car at one time? I did find that we cannot leave the car with her purse in the car as it wont lock.

I have not opened the door and wont until absolutely necessary. That is always a way to break anything that isnt already broken. When I trouble shoot it to that point, I do have the tools needed to take the panel off the door and I will

The window not going up or doing it only a small steps at a time came on at the same time as the crazy positioning. Did not think it was related...except in time line..... But they may be related since controls are all in the left front door and the symptoms happened at the same time.

Last edited by jimisbell; 02-05-18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 06:23 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
The argument I have with the first responder might be the definition of "slamming" OK the speed is measured in inches per second. BUT, yes it does push me into the steering wheel. And yes it does go wild. It does not always do the same or predictable adjustments....thus going wild.....

It always happens on entering the car and turning on the ignition. Never while driving.

It is always the same fob. The second one is in my wifes purse and mine is in my pocket. Can two fobs be in the car at one time? I did find that we cannot leave the car with her purse in the car as it wont lock.

I have not opened the door and wont until absolutely necessary. That is always a way to break anything that isnt already broken. When I trouble shoot it to that point, I do have the tools needed to take the panel off the door and I will

The window not going up or doing it only a small steps at a time came on at the same time as the crazy positioning. Did not think it was related...except in time line..... But they may be related since controls are all in the left front door and the symptoms happened at the same time.
Sorry for my attempt to place the situation into a less wild perspective. I knew the seat wasn't slamming you into the steering wheel, but your animation on that description caused me to ignore your other descriptions of "wild" in relation to the car. Had you simply said the seat doesn't go to the same position every time, I wouldn't have suggested it could be a keyfob issue, although you've said it slams you into the steering wheel when you enter and start the car. Isn't that the same, thus, NOT wild? Or do you mean it's moving you into it, then moving you back/away from the steering wheel, then moving you towards the wheel, them away from it, etc, or is it moving you 1x into the steering wheel each time you start the car? If it's moving you 1x into the steering wheel each time when you start the car, then I don't think it qualifies for "wild" coloring, because it IS doing the same movement.

No lock when a keyfob is in the car is a properly working Smartkey system---preventing you from locking a keyfob in the car, obviously.

Has the wife always carried her keyfob with her when you drive? What happens when she leaves her fob in the house? That would be the simplest and first steps I'd take, and no disassembly required.

Do you have the seats & mirrors associated with a preset and particular keyfob, or do you manually move the seats each time w/o using a preset? I'm not sure what will happen if you program one of the presets and both keyfobs are in the vehicle. I'd GUESS the fob that unlocked the immobilizer would be associated with the preset that you assigned.

Anyway----if you continue to have issues with seat position and mirror position and window, regardless what keyfob you use, the next easiest step that I would do is to disconnect the battery leads for a good 15+ minutes.

Speaking of battery, how old/new is the battery? I've read the LS does really weird things when the battery is on it's way out.

Just trying to give you some ideas Jimi, not antagonize you.
Old 02-06-18, 09:35 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Sorry for my attempt to place the situation into a less wild perspective. I knew the seat wasn't slamming you into the steering wheel, but your animation on that description caused me to ignore your other descriptions of "wild" in relation to the car. Had you simply said the seat doesn't go to the same position every time, I wouldn't have suggested it could be a keyfob issue, although you've said it slams you into the steering wheel when you enter and start the car. Isn't that the same, thus, NOT wild? Or do you mean it's moving you into it, then moving you back/away from the steering wheel, then moving you towards the wheel, them away from it, etc, or is it moving you 1x into the steering wheel each time you start the car? If it's moving you 1x into the steering wheel each time when you start the car, then I don't think it qualifies for "wild" coloring, because it IS doing the same movement.

No lock when a keyfob is in the car is a properly working Smartkey system---preventing you from locking a keyfob in the car, obviously.

Has the wife always carried her keyfob with her when you drive? What happens when she leaves her fob in the house? That would be the simplest and first steps I'd take, and no disassembly required.

Do you have the seats & mirrors associated with a preset and particular keyfob, or do you manually move the seats each time w/o using a preset? I'm not sure what will happen if you program one of the presets and both keyfobs are in the vehicle. I'd GUESS the fob that unlocked the immobilizer would be associated with the preset that you assigned.

Anyway----if you continue to have issues with seat position and mirror position and window, regardless what keyfob you use, the next easiest step that I would do is to disconnect the battery leads for a good 15+ minutes.

Speaking of battery, how old/new is the battery? I've read the LS does really weird things when the battery is on it's way out.

Just trying to give you some ideas Jimi, not antagonize you.
OK, I need to be a bit more specific. It only happens on turning on the key. BUT NOT EVERY TIME I turn on the key. And not always the same things. It is not predictable...thus, "wild" It usually and I stress usually pushes the seat forward and stops there so that I then have to adjust it back to a comfortable position...sometimes, mostly, occasionally. It is totally unpredictable as to what it will do.!!!

Then, sometimes, not always, I will find that the drivers window, only the drivers window, will not move at all, or will move only an inch, intermittently. This effect may be more prevalent than I think since it would require me to desire to open the window to discover it. I dont always move the window, but ALWAYS will readjust the seat IF I am pushed into the wheel.

It ALWAYS goes away (at least up till now) within minutes and everything will work properly until the next time, maybe, 2 days later.

I think, but this is just an observation that may be false, that it can begin with an attempt to do two tings at once with the controls on the door. Like maybe the controller gets confused and goes nuts. Such as if the seat is in the process of adjusting to my driving position and I hit the button to lower the window.......maybe....? Not sure. It just doesnt seem to be repeatable except that it starts with ignition on and ends after a few minutes.....sometimes, not every time I turn the ignition on. But the sequence (on and then off after a few minutes) is always the same when it does occur.