LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery replacement under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 03:26 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 284 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Battery replacement under warranty

I currently have an AC/Delco Gold professional 42 month battery that was purchased approximately 2 1/2 years ago. AC delco products are sold by a number of independent retailers one of which is Bennett which might have been where I purchased the battery. I called ACDELCO.COM and they told me my battery is guaranteed for free replacement for 42 months and I can go to any ACDELCO retailer to bring the battery back. The voltage across the top of the battery disconnected from the car after a full charge reads 12.55 with my Voltmeter. A fully charged healthy battery should read 12.66 or more (2.1 volt per cell). I have replaced this identical class of battery twice before, and I just about get close to 3 years or less before the battery fails. I'm trying to be pro active here and at 2 1/2 years it might be time here in the Torrid temperatures of Florida. Regardless, the resting battery is only showing 12.55 volts which is lower than the 12.66 for a healthy battery. Should I anticipate having any issues getting this battery replaced free of charge? Of course If I purchased this from Walmart, I would not be asking this question as they take ALL BATTERIES BACK without question as long as the customer has a receipt. Of course next time regardless I'll go Walmart as it is a much easier process. What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-18, 03:40 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I currently have an AC/Delco Gold professional 42 month battery that was purchased approximately 2 1/2 years ago. AC delco products are sold by a number of independent retailers one of which is Bennett which might have been where I purchased the battery. I called ACDELCO.COM and they told me my battery is guaranteed for free replacement for 42 months and I can go to any ACDELCO retailer to bring the battery back. The voltage across the top of the battery disconnected from the car after a full charge reads 12.55 with my Voltmeter. A fully charged healthy battery should read 12.66 or more (2.1 volt per cell). I have replaced this identical class of battery twice before, and I just about get close to 3 years or less before the battery fails. I'm trying to be pro active here and at 2 1/2 years it might be time here in the Torrid temperatures of Florida. Regardless, the resting battery is only showing 12.55 volts which is lower than the 12.66 for a healthy battery. Should I anticipate having any issues getting this battery replaced free of charge? Of course If I purchased this from Walmart, I would not be asking this question as they take ALL BATTERIES BACK without question as long as the customer has a receipt. Of course next time regardless I'll go Walmart as it is a much easier process. What do you guys think?
I dont think so I know a guy who goes and exchanges his 6 batteries from various things every year and gets new ones all under warranty. He does this every year when he come back to NY from florida, he has 0 problems so I do not think you will.

Just a side note have you experimented with the optima batteries before? I have been thinking about getting another optima yellow top I had one for about 14 years and it was sold with the car it was in and still worked.
Old 02-08-18, 03:51 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

There's no predicting whether the warranty will be honored. I just had the same issue with AutoZone. They declined to honor their battery warranty since I did not buy the product from them, but got it with a car purchase. As a result, they will no longer get any of my business. As the OP mentioned, Walmart is a good source and I know for a fact that they honor their battery warranties.
Old 02-08-18, 04:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 284 Likes on 239 Posts

Thanks all. I did buy my battery from Bennett and have the receipt for almost $150. I don't know what the criteria is for their testing the battery, but 12. 55 volts is not 12.66 which will not give a full charge at 100%. I'll take the battery out within a week and bring it to one of these retailers after first calling and asking if they have an exact replacement battery with aRECENT MANUFACTURERS DATE. If so.. I'll got to the retailer for replacement.
Old 02-09-18, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

To be honest, I don't think anyone knows until you try. For the first time recently, I had a free battery replacement at the Three Stooges. Never before has a battery failed during the free replacement, always maybe 9-12 mos out of it.

I can say I had a bad experience with Advance Auto. The battery had a 84 mo. replacement and failed about 42 mos. in. The morons at the store said the computer says the warranty has expired (I was looking for pro-rata, not free). I asked them is 2009 minus 2005, does that sound like 7 years to you? The guy laughed and said he didn't know. So I said you obviously can't do math.

If it helps, my buddy put a AC Delco battery in his 2nd gen Maxima and had no problem getting a replacement at another AC Delco reseller, but this was in the mid 90's. Obviously a lot has changed since then, I had a hard time with a AC Delco starter when I tried to find a retailer in the Phila. area (small city so understandable lol).

p.s. they would likely do a load test to validate that the battery has failed (Sears and the Three Stooges did that). If it passes, they would probably say you're good to go and no replacement. i.e. a battery can be at the proper rest voltage, but when it's asked to start the motor, the voltage drops and there are insufficient amps to turn it over. Good luck, let us know....I'll probably be doing Costco from now on with all cars except the BMW...
Old 02-09-18, 08:53 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 751 Likes on 531 Posts

I only use Interstate batteries now. They have been great for any and all warranty claims or issues that I've had with their batteries. Interstate is what I have in my LS430 now.
Old 02-09-18, 05:05 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I buy Interstate batteries from Costco, and they are nearly free forever after the first buy. How can you beat that?
Old 02-10-18, 02:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I buy Interstate batteries from Costco, and they are nearly free forever after the first buy. How can you beat that?
I actually asked the Three Stooges about that, when we got a free replacement a few months ago, and the person stated the warranty is 36 mos. from the original purchase, Again, they said if it's 36 mos. from the original date of purchase, if it were anything else, you'd be getting free batteries for life. I interpreted it the way a car comes with a bumper to bumper warranty, it doesn't reset every 3 or 4 years.

I"m willing to bet that the Costco where you go, does not understand how a 36 free replacement works, or maybe they don't ask you for a receipt and simply go by the sticker on the battery, in which case, they're not doing their jobs. I can tell you when I bought the battery, it was a young kid who could not explain the warranty to me. They are terrible when it comes to accepting returns from another store (one even told me you're not supposed to do that--um, no! I don't think so!). For example, it used to be DE 0%, PA 6%, NJ 7%. Today NJ is lower. But how can you refund 7% tax, or 6% tax, when 0% was paid? And how would PA return tax revenue they never collected in the first place? I always thought, for pete's sake it's 2011 (first time I noticed), there are computers, and you guys can't get it right? (I cannot be the only person who's thought of it lol)

edit This month, I overheard a guy tell his parents he's borrowing a 4K ultra HD tv for the Super Bowl. His dad said what do you mean you're borrowing a TV for the super bowl? He said I just return it after the game. we're all paying for the returns in the price of the products....saw on the news LL Bean feels people have been taking advantage of them (wouldn't know never bought from them)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-10-18 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 07:45 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I've been buying Costco batteries for decades. Here's how it goes. I know from experience with my car that in this desert heat, that the battery will fail between 2 to 3 years. I don't wait for it to fail. At 2 years, I take the battery out and return it to Costco. Then look the receipt up on their computer and then refund me the full purchase price. They do not test the battery. I then purchase a new battery. I've done this for over 20 years, so don't tell me it is not possible. I don't question Costco policy on returns. Years ago they would prorate the refund on a failed battery, but that has changed.
Old 02-10-18, 08:53 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I dont think so I know a guy who goes and exchanges his 6 batteries from various things every year and gets new ones all under warranty. He does this every year when he come back to NY from florida, he has 0 problems so I do not think you will.

Just a side note have you experimented with the optima batteries before? I have been thinking about getting another optima yellow top I had one for about 14 years and it was sold with the car it was in and still worked.
14 years ago Optima batteries were made in the US & were excellent. When production moved to Mexico quality suffered & battery life decreased significantly. For my money the Deka Intimidator (AGM, made by East Penn in PA) is the choice. They rebrand that battery for Batteries & Bulbs, Sam’s Club & a few other retailers. Luckily in Dallas we have a Deka distribution center so I can walk to the counter and get ahead of the AAA, Sears...trucks. I first used Deka for classic cars so I could get unlabeled batteries but after taking out six AC Delco batteries (2500 series Duramax & Cadillac CTS-V) I went with their AGM. On my Lexus the battery was replaced just before I got it but when it weakens I’ll get a Deka Intimidator. To get a better battery IMO you have to get an Odyssey but they don’t cover all applications. I respect those that use their warranties to get replacement batteries but traditional wet-cell batteries are archaic in design & fail. Before they fail with sophisticated electronics they can have you chasing your tail around trying to diagnose issues that are caused by a weak battery. I’ll take 10+ years of fast starts, no outgassing and superb construction every day. Another collector tip is to routinely de-sulficate you battery with a Pulse-Tech or other “maintainer” with this technology. There are about 30 of these chargers rotating through a collection of 100 cars & dead batteries are a rarity rather than the norm now. One collector of Bentley’s forgot to connect his Pulse-Tech before going on a business trip to Asia. The Bentley battery discharged and was recharged when he came back but had to be reprogrammed by Bentley to run(at $1200 & it’s the third time so he now has a shop beside me oversee his collection). Good luck with your battery. Buy a Pulse-Tech and double it’s life and when it finally gives out get an Intimidator.

Last edited by Catalina45; 02-10-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 10:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

We're all business people here, so likely a battery is only as good as its warranty, and the seller's ability to honor it. A couple names have been thrown around as denying valid claims, Auto Zone and Advance Auto I believe, and then Costco was mentioned as free batteries for life. In a way, this is like floor jacks, a 3 ton low pro floor jack can be $80 - $1,400, depending on who you get it from. What they have in common is they're all made in China. So the place you buy it from has to be able to stand behind it. imho I like Costco for convenience and price, but not for BMW, where I'd likely haggle with the dealership (online people have paid from $250 to $550, all over the place). my .02