LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering replacing my Mercedes with an LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 02:11 PM
Andre1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering replacing my Mercedes with an LS

I'm currently driving a 2008 Mercedes E350 4Matic, fully loaded with the sport package. I love the car, but I just can't get comfortable in it. After a half hour to an hour of driving the seats really start causing me pain because of the hard bolsters aggravating my sciatica. I've had the seat pad replaced with helped a little by firming up the center portion of the seat, but it's still not great. I also can't adjust the seat high enough because I'm fairly tall and my head touches the headliner.

So, I'm looking around for a different vehicle, and really like what I see in the LS430. I found an 02 a couple hours away from me with just over 100,000 miles on it, and the seller claims that it's been dealer serviced with records available. I believe it's a base model, it doesn't have nav, cooled seats, rear shade. The body looks like it's in great shape, and the interior is nearly immaculate. It looks much more comfortable, I like that the seat bottoms are fairly flat, and it looks like there's quite a bit more headroom than my Mercedes. I haven't actually had the opportunity to sit in an LS yet, though. Before I drive three hours to go see it, are the seats really as comfortable as they look? With sciatica and a back injury comfort is probably the most important feature to me in a car. I've always owned domestic full size cars before my Benz, and like the soft ride.

I'm not sure exactly which audio system is in the car I'm looking at, but I'm assuming it's not the ML system. Not having the factory nav doesn't bother me at all due to the age of the system, I don't use the system in my Mercedes at all. I will need bluetooth and would really like to keep my Sirius subscription, though. Are there add-on modules available to add these features, or would it be cheaper/easier to replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit?

How is the LS in the snow, with good winter tires? My AWD Mercedes will go through pretty much anything, I know RWD won't be as good but is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?

What kind of maintenance costs will I be looking at? My Benz takes 7 quarts of synthetic oil and a fleece filter so even a DIY oil change is up there. I currently do an oil change once a year as per the manual, but change my filter every 6 months. I DIY a lot of my maintenance, and for repairs I don't want to do/can't do I have a reliable independent shop that I've been going to for years. I believe the timing belt in the car I'm looking at has been done, and probably won't have to be redone during my ownership. I don't drive a whole lot, maybe 5000 miles a year. I'm guessing routine items like filters, brake parts, suspension parts are around the same as Mercedes, if not less?

From what I've read so far, most of the problems seem to be with the optional equipment found on the Ultra Luxury model? I've owned cars with air suspension before (GM) and I've spent many an afternoon with a spray bottle of soapy water looking for leaks, and I don't really want to deal with that again so I've been avoiding the UL models.

I may also look into an RX, I do like the higher seating position. I'm finding that a lot of SUVs and especially trucks in the same price range I'm looking at are either beaters, or have a lot more miles on them, but every now and then a nice one comes up.
Old 02-17-18, 06:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Getting comfortable was mentioned....one downside of the LS430 (my buddy claims it's the cooled seats/foam) is it seems most cars have a sagging driver's seat. My car had 81k when I got it.....when I sit in my pass seat, I think wow, this is how it's supposed to feel....I'm just not so sure that replacing the cushion would be enough, it may be the back as well. So if having a perfect driving comfort is a must, better test drive a LS430 prior to purchase.

I watched that Doug DeMuro review of the S63s AMG wagon. It kind of shows that Mercedes is at least a generation ahead of Japanese, the features that thing has, I doubt the LS500 can even touch, it's a joke. The Lexus is all about reliability, that's what a person gets when swtiching from a German car imho....
Old 02-17-18, 08:22 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome aboard Andre. My commute each day is about an hour and 15 minutes. When I arrive at work I don't feel fatigued at all. My car just hit 183,000 miles and yes, the seat has probably flattened a little, but it's still a fantastically comfortable car for long commutes. I'm 6'1" and weigh 210, so perhaps those cars with flattened seat pads have been driven by more portly individuals? I think you'll find the LS to be a very comfortable car to drive and well worth looking at.

The base model may or may not have had the Mark Levinson sound system, as it was an option.

I had a 2000 RX300 which was also a fairly comfortable vehicle. I ended up selling it due to some serious rust concerns on the suspension.
Old 02-17-18, 06:39 PM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry you are suffering with sciatica. On the ‘04 LS430 I have with climate seats the side boosters are soft and do not have a lot of curve to hold you in place( for example a Recaro seat). In addition the seat cushion is adjustable so you can position it potentially avoiding the sciatic nerve. The seat bottom itself isn’t as hard as a never BMW, Audi or Lexus but could be softened using high-end auto memory foam. I have had spinal fusion surgery and have “pain while sitting” so until my seat is upgraded I use a thin foam pad as extra cushioning. Although I am a newbie to this forum it seems like the seat bottom in my picture is pretty typical. For sciatica you might see if a local forum member will give you some assistance before driving multiple hours. I specifically bought a ‘04-‘06” LS430 on the advice of other area people who have had severe back issues. Good luck and I hope the sciatica is resolved.
Attached Thumbnails Considering replacing my Mercedes with an LS-f3930836-ca66-49dc-8b0e-16112b2821cb.jpeg  
Old 02-18-18, 12:21 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Good luck on your search. I believe the LS430 will be a reliable upgrade to your Mercedes. Just need to be sure you do due diligence to insure you purchase a well-cared for sample. I don't think the cooled seats/sun shade were available until the 2004 models, but might have been in the UL class, but that's a different animal.
Old 02-18-18, 07:07 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

An LS430 loves to travel at triple digit speed for extended periods of time, just like how Mercedes engineers their cars.
Old 02-18-18, 07:36 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Get snows, get head unit, decent seats npt real aggressive, some seats sag some have durable cushions. Super reliable even for an 02 but its an 02. 5-6 k would be good deal.
Old 02-18-18, 07:37 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

nav cooled seats won't be missed.
Old 02-19-18, 06:43 AM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Andre. The seats will suit your back well. I have an '02 LS430 base model as well as mild scoliosis and the seats are super comfortable. I have never felt any back pain at all when sitting in my car. In fact, when I have significant back pain, I will go sit in my car because it's something about the seats that instantly takes my back pain away.
Old 02-20-18, 07:02 AM
Ls430Coy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not regret it ,as a matter of fact ,your going wonder why you didn’t do it sooner
Old 02-22-18, 03:22 AM
b16gsr
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I too made the switch from Benz E class to Lexus LS and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-23-18, 01:31 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Lexus will be far more reliable than any European car, but honestly, if you have sciatica, you'll want a low mile model with seats that are still in good condition. I've got a dodgy back as well and I can't do any more than 2 hours of straight driving without my back being in pain. My Lexus has by far been the best (my previous 3 Mondeos all had leather Recaro seats and were quite firm, and my 94 Corona has really old seats) and can do a bit longer in one hit, but I've found if you want the best in seat comfort, find an up-spec Mitsubishi sedan or the latest mid-spec Ford Fusion, those things are like sitting on lounge chairs
Old 02-23-18, 03:55 AM
Ls430Coy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t Think there is no such thing as a reliable European car