LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 LS430 started overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 05:12 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
on the other hand, if I earn much higher income than presently, I would probably never buy anything from rockauto
Rich people didn't get to be that way by spending their money foolishly either. So what's not to like with RockAuto? You generally have your choice on whether you want to purchase a lower quality part or a higher quality part. Many people can't afford to put the best quality part back into a car that's usually marginal to begin with. I've purchased parts from them many times over the years and the one time I had a problem with a part they we easy to deal with as far as the return. The only drawback to using them is that you need to know in advance when to order something. If your car breaks down and you need it fixed right now you obviously can't use them...
Old 02-21-18, 07:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I second the post who said it may be a cooling fan. My LS has never overheated but my old I35 did; symptoms were identical to what OP is describing. Driving is fine, but in traffic when the car got heat-soaked the temp would rise like clockwork.
Old 02-22-18, 09:47 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrslawson3
We purchased our LS430 last year as a 2nd vehicle. As I was driving home one day the temperature gauge began to rise as I was stopped in traffic. I immediately pulled over to keep the car from overheating. My husband came and said the coolant was a little low but said that shouldnt have caused the car to run hot. I tried driving it again the next day and it did the same thing. We took it to the shop and the guy seemed like he was a little unsure but thought the water pump needed to be replaced along with the timing. Anyone have this happen?
Well you certainly did the right thing pulling off the road to let her cool down.

My wife on the other hand, calls me and says "my car is on fire!" and she is angry. I say, "pull over and shut it off". She said, "I'm already home". "What?" I said, followed by, "when did the light go on?" Reply, "on my way home from work" still mad. Some times you can only laugh else you cry!

Radiator failed at the overflow tube near the filler cap (see pics). Replaced it with the $66 Denso high capacity Tow Package version , from Rockauto.com and runs like a champ. As others noted, its an easy DIY. At this age of the car, there is NO reason to pay ~$400 for Lexus radiator from the dealer, plus labor.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...,radiator,2172

Good luck and keep us posted on what they find.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 LS430 started overheating-2018-01-15-16.29.48.jpg   2002 LS430 started overheating-2018-01-15-16.30.09.jpg  
Old 02-26-18, 04:13 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. We were finally able to get it to a shop yesterday. From what I told them they dont think it is the water pump. Because I barely have enough miles from the previous owners paperwork when they had it replaced. They said it could be the radiator or fan. Will know more tomorrow when they can look at it. I had to replace the battery yesterday because it was dead and know the drivers side window wont go down. Sigh.....
Old 02-28-18, 06:20 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Just talked to the mechanic, the water pump is leaking real bad. Will get a quote on costs tomorrow. Anyone else replaced one and can give me a ball park figure on how much they paid?
Old 02-28-18, 06:24 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Galco
Well you certainly did the right thing pulling off the road to let her cool down.

My wife on the other hand, calls me and says "my car is on fire!" and she is angry. I say, "pull over and shut it off". She said, "I'm already home". "What?" I said, followed by, "when did the light go on?" Reply, "on my way home from work" still mad. Some times you can only laugh else you cry!

Radiator failed at the overflow tube near the filler cap (see pics). Replaced it with the $66 Denso high capacity Tow Package version , from Rockauto.com and runs like a champ. As others noted, its an easy DIY. At this age of the car, there is NO reason to pay ~$400 for Lexus radiator from the dealer, plus labor.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...,radiator,2172

Good luck and keep us posted on what they find.
I most definitely pulled over soon as it moved to that first notch. It is the water pump that is going bad. He said it was leaking coolant bad after he drove it around and pulled back in the garage. Will get an estimate tomorrow on the cost of it and timing belt.
Old 02-28-18, 07:09 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Just talked to the mechanic, the water pump is leaking real bad. Will get a quote on costs tomorrow. Anyone else replaced one and can give me a ball park figure on how much they paid?
Oddly enough we, most Lexus owners and especially ClubLexus members, are so used to replacing the water pump during a routine timing belt job it's fairly rare to hear of a water pump failing. The pump usually gets replaced early as it only makes sense to do so if you are in deep enough with a TB job . It's really hard to say without knowing the mileage of the car but it may be the original pump and original timing belt...? I don't want to set an expectation of price but don't be surprised if he quotes you around $1000 AND suggests replacing the TB as well.
Old 02-28-18, 07:17 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
Oddly enough we, most Lexus owners and especially ClubLexus members, are so used to replacing the water pump during a routine timing belt job it's fairly rare to hear of a water pump failing. The pump usually gets replaced early as it only makes sense to do so if you are in deep enough with a TB job . It's really hard to say without knowing the mileage of the car but it may be the original pump and original timing belt...? I don't want to set an expectation of price but don't be surprised if he quotes you around $1000 AND suggests replacing the TB as well.
We bought the car used last year from my husband's coworker. She gave us all the paperwork from all the services she had done on it. From the mileage from when it was last done it's not time. I am wondering if the shop she used put a cheap water pump or something on it or if they replaced it at all. It was not even a month after she had it done she really stopped driving it because she purchased a new car. Just going to go ahead and have it done and hopefully it will be awhile before I have to replace it. I plan on driving this car for awhile before I get something new.
Old 02-28-18, 07:21 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Rich people didn't get to be that way by spending their money foolishly either. So what's not to like with RockAuto? You generally have your choice on whether you want to purchase a lower quality part or a higher quality part. Many people can't afford to put the best quality part back into a car that's usually marginal to begin with. I've purchased parts from them many times over the years and the one time I had a problem with a part they we easy to deal with as far as the return. The only drawback to using them is that you need to know in advance when to order something. If your car breaks down and you need it fixed right now you obviously can't use them...
I have never heard of Rock Auto until my husband mentioned ordering a brake sensor for my car. It was way cheaper from them than the auto parts store and Lexus. It came today. So he will put it on when we get the car out of the shop. If it works and the warning light goes off I won't be upset because I saved money.
Old 02-28-18, 08:13 PM
bradland

That's too bad..
Sounds like the previous owner chose to save a few bucks during a TB job by skipping the water pump. Now you may be stuck with a ton of labor for a $80 part.
Old 02-28-18, 08:23 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Just curious, how many miles are on your car? When was the pump replaced before?
Old 02-28-18, 08:25 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
That's too bad..
Sounds like the previous owner chose to save a few bucks during a TB job by skipping the water pump. Now you may be stuck with a ton of labor for a $80 part.
No she paid for service now what they did or what parts were used I dont know. It sucks if you dont know about cars or watching what mechanics do. Here is a copy of what she had done that day.
Old 02-28-18, 08:43 PM
bradland

Interesting....
What's the date on the invoice ?

Funny how they listed the water pump as "NEW". Isn't that sort of implied...?!?