LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 LS430 started overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 11:52 PM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS430 started overheating

We purchased our LS430 last year as a 2nd vehicle. As I was driving home one day the temperature gauge began to rise as I was stopped in traffic. I immediately pulled over to keep the car from overheating. My husband came and said the coolant was a little low but said that shouldnt have caused the car to run hot. I tried driving it again the next day and it did the same thing. We took it to the shop and the guy seemed like he was a little unsure but thought the water pump needed to be replaced along with the timing. Anyone have this happen?
Old 02-18-18, 04:21 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mrslawson3
We purchased our LS430 last year as a 2nd vehicle. As I was driving home one day the temperature gauge began to rise as I was stopped in traffic. I immediately pulled over to keep the car from overheating. My husband came and said the coolant was a little low but said that shouldnt have caused the car to run hot. I tried driving it again the next day and it did the same thing. We took it to the shop and the guy seemed like he was a little unsure but thought the water pump needed to be replaced along with the timing. Anyone have this happen?
A couple other worthwhile items to inspect would be the cooling fan motors to confirm they're operating within specs and thermostat is opening and closing properly.

Best of luck and please share what your resolution is, as it's a great insight for other members!
Old 02-18-18, 05:21 AM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

replace the radiator cap and thermostat with oem parts, suspect that may be a quick and easy fix.
Old 02-18-18, 06:55 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cpcc
replace the radiator cap and thermostat with oem parts, suspect that may be a quick and easy fix.
+1 on starting with the easy fix, thermostat.
Old 02-18-18, 08:13 AM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 overheating

Thanks for everyone's input. The shop I am taking it to will be doing a thorough inspection to determine what is actually wrong. They stated that what ever the problem is they want to use genuine Lexus parts. They will be picking it up sometime this week. Will keep you guys posted on what's going on. I know this is going to be a dent in my wallet!!! 🙃🙃🙃
Old 02-18-18, 10:09 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. The shop I am taking it to will be doing a thorough inspection to determine what is actually wrong. They stated that what ever the problem is they want to use genuine Lexus parts. They will be picking it up sometime this week. Will keep you guys posted on what's going on. I know this is going to be a dent in my wallet!!! 🙃🙃🙃
In case if your radiator is leaking coolant and they order oem part, you will overpay approximately 300 dollars. Instead, you may consider purchasing a Denso radiator from online store for less than 70 dollar and it will work just as great. It is made in Taiwan. DIY replacement is extremely easy, and here you may have even more savings.
Old 02-18-18, 10:16 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Please do not just start throwing parts at it to fix the problem not to disagree with the people who posted above but you will just waste your money, you are paying a shop to tell you ehats wrong and to fix it any competent mechanic would be able to pin point what part is broken instead of just throwing parts at it.

Oem lexus parts are great quality so are some aftermarket parts.

Did your cars motor make any noise at all when this was happening? If so what did it sound like did the car do anytjing out of th ordinary before it started to overheat did uou hit something in the road, etc
Old 02-18-18, 10:34 AM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Please do not just start throwing parts at it to fix the problem not to disagree with the people who posted above but you will just waste your money, you are paying a shop to tell you ehats wrong and to fix it any competent mechanic would be able to pin point what part is broken instead of just throwing parts at it.

Oem lexus parts are great quality so are some aftermarket parts.

Did your cars motor make any noise at all when this was happening? If so what did it sound like did the car do anytjing out of th ordinary before it started to overheat did uou hit something in the road, etc
They are going to thoroughly check it to find the issue. It didn't make any noises. It happened one day when I was leaving work. I sat in traffic for awhile due to a wreck and noticed the temperature hand going up slowly. I quickly pulled in the grass and shut the car off. My husband came and checked the coolant level. He poured not even a half a cup of coolant in. The next day I took my daughter to a football stadium so she could practice driving and it did it again. I cut the car off and let it cool before I checked the coolant. It was full. I took the interstate home so we wouldn't get stuck in traffic. When I got home I sat in the driveway and let the car run for a minute and sure enough the temperature hand started going up slowly. It's been parked until we can take it to the shop next week.
Old 02-18-18, 10:42 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

They are going to thoroughly check it to find the issue. It didn't make any noises. It happened one day when I was leaving work. I sat in traffic for awhile due to a wreck and noticed the temperature hand going up slowly. I quickly pulled in the grass and shut the car off. My husband came and checked the coolant level. He poured not even a half a cup of coolant in. The next day I took my daughter to a football stadium so she could practice driving and it did it again. I cut the car off and let it cool before I checked the coolant. It was full. I took the interstate home so we wouldn't get stuck in traffic. When I got home I sat in the driveway and let the car run for a minute and sure enough the temperature hand started going up slowly. It's been parked until we can take it to the shop next week.
Most probably thermostat is stuck closed.
I went through thermostat stuck open scenario with my other vehicle just recently. Stuck open is better than stuck closed though.
Change thermostat and thermostat gasket. If coolant is old then this would the time to do coolant flush as well otherwise just drain before, refill after, and top off.

Edit: When was water pump changed lat time and how many miles ago?

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 02-18-18 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added question
Old 02-18-18, 10:52 AM
mrslawson3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Most probably thermostat is stuck closed.
I went through thermostat stuck open scenario with my other vehicle just recently. Stuck open is better than stuck closed though.
Change thermostat and thermostat gasket. If coolant is old then this would the time to do coolant flush as well otherwise just drain before, refill after, and top off.

Edit: When was water pump changed lat time and how many miles ago?
We purchased the car from my husband coworker last year. She gave me all the papers from all the service she had performed on the car. I need to sit down and go through them. I know she told us she has replaced the water pump when she had it. Need to compare the mileage from when it was done.
Old 02-19-18, 04:10 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

If it only gets hot when the car isn't moving then it's most likey a cooling fan problem. Either the fan motor itself or the variable speed controller.
Old 02-19-18, 11:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think the beauty of our cars is that costs can be contained, and issues can be isolated.

Contrast that to slightly newer 2008+ cars where they can stall, dealer can't duplicate, yet they stall again, etc. Or, a brand new Range Rover whose screen stack freezes up, even after shutting down 3X (Doug DeMuro test drive video). Again, nobody will know what could have happened other than a dealer or the mfg., and even they often can't figure it out.

Our cars don't have to break the bank, for example going with an Aisin water pump kit instead of genuine Lexus, or a Bando serpentine belt rather than genuine Lexus, hoses as well, etc. The "OEM" is blurred but many of these parts are original quality (with German parts OEM is just that--same part, lacking the mfg's logo--same, identical, for less)....look at ridiculous brake sensors for $70+, when BMW OEM is $13. So not always is original necessary imo

Just me, if a radiator is needed, I think our cars deserve more than a $70 radiator so I'd go $300+ for original. It depends on the component. There is at least one documented case of that radiator failing more than once...
Old 02-19-18, 03:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I think the Lexus OEM radiator and the Denso brand radiator is the exact same radiator. Although there are two versions of the radiator available, one is a little more capacity and is designated heavy duty or for towing.
Old 02-19-18, 04:26 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Johnhav makes a valid point but this is an example of differentiating between those of us who do our own labor and those who pay someone. I can usually justify paying more for a part from Lexus or Toyota as I know there's no additional labor cost involved. I consider it a wise investment but not everyone has that luxury. The math can change dramatically when you're paying someone else to work on your car. Attempting to offer advice on the forum is sometimes tricky as we don't know if the user will do their own labor or pay a mechanic...

That said a radiator on an LS is such a quick and easy replacement buying a $70 Denso is a no-brainer because if it fails, which I doubt, I'll buy another and have it installed in about an hour.
Old 02-19-18, 04:54 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think the beauty of our cars is that costs can be contained, and issues can be isolated.

Contrast that to slightly newer 2008+ cars where they can stall, dealer can't duplicate, yet they stall again, etc. Or, a brand new Range Rover whose screen stack freezes up, even after shutting down 3X (Doug DeMuro test drive video). Again, nobody will know what could have happened other than a dealer or the mfg., and even they often can't figure it out.

Our cars don't have to break the bank, for example going with an Aisin water pump kit instead of genuine Lexus, or a Bando serpentine belt rather than genuine Lexus, hoses as well, etc. The "OEM" is blurred but many of these parts are original quality (with German parts OEM is just that--same part, lacking the mfg's logo--same, identical, for less)....look at ridiculous brake sensors for $70+, when BMW OEM is $13. So not always is original necessary imo

Just me, if a radiator is needed, I think our cars deserve more than a $70 radiator so I'd go $300+ for original. It depends on the component. There is at least one documented case of that radiator failing more than once...
i see your point.

To my knowledge, certain parts supplied to produce certain toyota and Lexus cars in the factory are different to the same OEM parts sold by online retailers. They are different in quality, and in branding as well. Two Perfect examples:

1) LS430 oem wheel bearing and LS430 Koyo wheel bearing. Both are the same products with identical components. First one costs 350 dollars, while the second one is hundred dollar cheaper. First part is manufactured by Koyo.
2) Lexus GX 460 oem brake pads and oem replacement pads are two different products. First one that was supplied to the factory has slightly better compound compared to the oem part. Advics (manufacturer) supplies different grades of same products based on their vision. Brake pads may look identical ( same color, same branding) but the material will be slightly different.

To summarize, I would support your viewpoint that OEM part may be a little bit of a better quality (eapeciallly if made in Japan), but also due to substantial difference in price I can’t recommend to purchase it when Denso (oem supplier) is offering a cheaper aftermarket radiator.

on the other hand, if I earn much higher income than presently, I would probably never buy anything from rockauto )

Quick Reply: 2002 LS430 started overheating