LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Long-distance drive: questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 01:22 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
FYI, I used these aftermarket sensors on my wrecked LS. It got rid of the Parking Sonar error message in the instrument panel and seems to work fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-OEM-PDC-Ultrasonic-Reverse-Parking-Sensor-for-Lexus-LS430-89341-50011/162505156475?hash=item25d60fe77b:g:SFcAAOSw-K9ZDTjN&vxp=mtr
For others looking to purchase this....That doesn't sound like the right part number even though the listing says Ls430. The compatible vehicles in the listing details does not show it compatible with lS430

I bought this part and worked fine for both front and rear bumpers. Search this text below on e bay.
For 2004-2006 Lexus LS430 PDC Ultrasonic Parking Aid Sensor Radar 89341-50050

This is for silver color. Part numbers for other colors are probably going to be different.

Here is the sample listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2004-20...-/172052720615

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 02-25-18 at 01:25 PM. Reason: color
The following users liked this post:
LS430inDE. (02-25-18)
Old 02-25-18, 02:13 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These sensors seem to be an interesting idea now that I can see one can get it cheap. I won't do it now but are all the sensors the same or the back and front different? Also, can one get them in a different color?

Last edited by ipstat; 02-25-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 02:16 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ipstat
These sensors seem to be an interesting idea now that I can see one can get it cheap. I won't do it now but are all the sensors the same or the back and front different? Also, can one get them a different color?
The sensors can be painted whatever color you want.
Old 02-25-18, 02:18 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

These sensors seem to be an interesting idea now that I can see one can get it cheap. I won't do it now but are all the sensors the same or the back and front different? Also, can one get them a different color?
No, pretty sure if one looks at the 6 on the front, only the middle two are the same, the outside 4 are smaller and the same...not sure about the back. Yes they come in the exact color just like door caps, etc., but they are way too expensive, I think they list for $350 each....so the eBay ones seem like they're worth a shot
Old 04-26-18, 09:13 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Hey all,

I ended up not fixing the bushing or the gaskets. My mileage for the trip with hwy driving was about 22-27 mpg depending on how I calculated it. 95/5 hwy/cty. When it was 85/15 on the days we were in a city and staying over it was ~20 mpg.
Old 04-27-18, 05:02 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey all,

I ended up not fixing the bushing or the gaskets. My mileage for the trip with hwy driving was about 22-27 mpg depending on how I calculated it. 95/5 hwy/cty. When it was 85/15 on the days we were in a city and staying over it was ~20 mpg.
What do you mean how you calculated it? The LS has the "tank average" that display's your mpg, and resets it after a pumping of gas. 22 sounds low for 95% highway, unless you were on a crowded bumper to bumper California highway!? lol

Last week when I drove a 12 hour 1-way trip to Nashville, my tank average (as displayed on the dash screen, was never below 26MPG for all 6 fill-ups (roundtrip). Heck, I almost made 28MPG, as 1 tank average was 27.8MPG, and I was easily going from 75-80 MPH, loaded with luggage for 2 people, and 1 other passenger besides myself! I did the fuel economy improvement trick by putting a couple extra PSI into the tires, too.
Old 04-30-18, 06:19 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
What do you mean how you calculated it? The LS has the "tank average" that display's your mpg, and resets it after a pumping of gas. 22 sounds low for 95% highway, unless you were on a crowded bumper to bumper California highway!? lol

Great that you got that mileage.
Last week when I drove a 12 hour 1-way trip to Nashville, my tank average (as displayed on the dash screen, was never below 26MPG for all 6 fill-ups (roundtrip). Heck, I almost made 28MPG, as 1 tank average was 27.8MPG, and I was easily going from 75-80 MPH, loaded with luggage for 2 people, and 1 other passenger besides myself! I did the fuel economy improvement trick by putting a couple extra PSI into the tires, too.
I was mistaken. Either way, I do feel my car gets less mileage (especially when mostly city driven about 14) but the 95/5 was about 26-27 the ones between 22-24 were 80/20 or something. We did the PSI thing beforehand too. I was told that the tank avg on the dash is not 100% accurate so I calculated it also using a formula which may be totally off. (subtract how much was filled by the tank capacity and divide by he previous mileage)
Old 04-30-18, 09:19 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I bought my car with 81k, 2006 in Oct. 2016. I sorta made the mistake in letting lexus do a multipoint, and suddenly my car needed about $6k of work (none was needed at all per indie). This scare tactic is likely why people part with 10 y.o. LS430s, dealers scare the original owners.

One of the items were the LCA arms and bushings to the tune of $1500, and they implied I might not pass an inspection (bold faced lie). The indie installed bushings that I bought on eBay, OE, charged me I think almost $300 labor to press the old out, and the new in (I think someone here got $150 in FLA?), but he also cautioned me that I would feel NO difference. What he was trying to say was that yes they have cracks, but there is no free play. I have seen on YouTube where they are totally gone on a maxima and the guy can move the arm by hand as a result. So I am skeptical about what improvement new bushings will accomplish, but I did it and it's done.

Valve cover gaskets are good to take care of because eventually oil will be getting everywhere and it just gets worse...one can top off the oil if a minor leak, but it is a good thing to address imho...maybe tube seals, I dunno as haven't crossed that bridge yet.
I've heard the horror stories about the Lex dealer inventing work. Had my trans DF#3 done last week. They did a multi point inspection and I wondered what work they'd recommend. Nothing. Said the car was in excellent shape and sent me home. Hint: it never hurts to provide good Yelp reviews on your Service Advisor.
Old 04-30-18, 11:11 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

IMO, there are 4 types of mechanics.
  1. Best: Those who would inspect and fix what they are supposed to and not bother you for other unrelated small issues.
  2. Good: Those who would inspect and fix issues but would recommend that other small issues that may have to be done. May or may not fix more than they need (OEM parts, etc.).
  3. Fair: Those who would insist that small issues need to be done and recommend large issues that may be done. May or may not fix more than they need. (OEM parts, etc.).
  4. Poor: Those who insist issues need to be fixed that do not need to be fixed and amplify other issues that have no bearing on the car's shape and service.
Old 05-01-18, 05:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

IMO, there are 4 types of mechanics.
  1. Best: Those who would inspect and fix what they are supposed to and not bother you for other unrelated small issues.
  2. Good: Those who would inspect and fix issues but would recommend that other small issues that may have to be done. May or may not fix more than they need (OEM parts, etc.).
  3. Fair: Those who would insist that small issues need to be done and recommend large issues that may be done. May or may not fix more than they need. (OEM parts, etc.).
  4. Poor: Those who insist issues need to be fixed that do not need to be fixed and amplify other issues that have no bearing on the car's shape and service.
It's almost like restaurants...the excellent ones, I would personally feel sad if they closed.

My BMW indie--I paid them I think around $110-$120 to mount/balance 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and swap out my customer provided TPMS, and return old parts. Why? Because my original valve cover caps are unavailable from BMW. They are a special cap, have writing on them, and maybe some classic car collector 30 years from now (doubtful!) would want accurate valve cover caps. I know that this type of shop won't crush all 4 jack pads, they just wouldn't. When I come to pick up my car, it's in the garage being bucket washed by hand. WINNING!

The Japanese indie--willing to show me my car on the lift and explain anything and everything. Looking for anything broken missing after timing belt job, can't find anything. All original parts returned in Aisin boxes (they added the tensioner afterwards by my request). Willing to install customer parts, entire wall of customer 200k mile cars, 300k (smaller)....etc. They even found a rear output shaft leak where the Lexus dealer in advising $6k worth of work, overlooked (why would they want to replace a $12 part)....