LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Leaking selector shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 07:55 AM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leaking selector shaft seal

Took my car to my indy because I suspected I have a leaking rear main seal. He confirmed that both my rear main seal and selector shaft seal have a slow leak. For the selector shaft seal, he told me he wasn't sure if the transmission needed to be dropped to get to it or not. Do you all know if it needs to be dropped? Either way, the tranny would still have to be dropped for the rear main seal to be replaced.
Old 02-27-18, 01:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by lexslexus
Took my car to my indy because I suspected I have a leaking rear main seal. He confirmed that both my rear main seal and selector shaft seal have a slow leak. For the selector shaft seal, he told me he wasn't sure if the transmission needed to be dropped to get to it or not. Do you all know if it needs to be dropped? Either way, the tranny would still have to be dropped for the rear main seal to be replaced.
My rear main has been wet now for quite some time. It might stay that way for years. The selector shaft seal is another story. My indy told me the trans needs to be dropped but Lexus told me not and to replace both seals would be $500 unless there is play in the shaft which is another story. Let us know how you progress. My shifter shaft is leaking also but not dripping on the ground. My rear is weaping and I have started using Mobile 1 high mileage and it seems to be the same and not getting worse.
Old 02-27-18, 07:24 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
My rear main has been wet now for quite some time. It might stay that way for years. The selector shaft seal is another story. My indy told me the trans needs to be dropped but Lexus told me not and to replace both seals would be $500 unless there is play in the shaft which is another story. Let us know how you progress. My shifter shaft is leaking also but not dripping on the ground. My rear is weaping and I have started using Mobile 1 high mileage and it seems to be the same and not getting worse.
Thanks for the info! Your post confirms that the leak might not be that serious after all. My indy didnt seem that concerned. I'll keep this updated.