LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trouble with slow leaks in tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 10:42 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Trouble with slow leaks in tires

I have recently been having troubles with the tires leaking down slowly. It has been since the hurricane so I though I might be picking up nails. No nails were found. Then I remembered that about that time I had added valve caps that has a red/blue indicator to tell at a glance if you tire was loosing pressure. Took a while but I realized that they were the culprit. Inside the cap is a piston/diaphragm that is pushed by the tire pressure to make the indicator change. When you put the caps on they push down to valve center pin to let air into the cap. If the cap is poorly designed the piston/diaphragm may leak slowly. I removed all the caps and my slow leaks disappeared. And, to answer the obvious question, the caps were tight so that was NOT the problem. My suggestion is to NEVER use these.
Old 03-10-18, 10:05 AM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive heard with the chrome wheels and over time the chrome breaks down and starts to leak air. I haven't had the problem yet. I have the chrome 18s and chrome is starting to come off around where it wheel meets the tire
Old 04-02-18, 02:57 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

It's more or less normal for the chrome wheels to slowly leak with the OEM caps (non-leak detecting), other people here have been reporting the same for years. With my Canadian 2002 UL, at least 3 of my 4 chrome 17's have slow leaks, I don't have TPMS, and I have separate wheels and tires for winter, so these chromes have had some but minimal exposure to road salt. After the chromes sit in my garage for all winter (5 months), they go from 32psi at the end of summer to low 20s by the start of spring.

I use a Lezyne Digital Drive (bicycle tire pump with in-line gauge) to top up the tires every 3-6 weeks (between 2-4psi loss per month). A few years back, one slow leak turned into a fast leak, so I had a local independent shop dismount the rubber, sand off the corrosion, remount and roadforce-balance the tire for $28 CAD after tax.

If you have a fast leak, get a good technician to take the time to clean off the corrosion and to mount the rubber correctly - a good job of this should get you another few years of very minimal leakage.
Old 04-02-18, 03:34 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

My leak is from 35 to 10 in 4-5 days. I dont have the internal TPMS but the external ones so I used "stop leak" to see if it would seal.
Old 04-02-18, 03:45 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Issues to be aware of when using stop-leak products are some products are not specifically TPMS-safe and can ruin your TPMS sensors (2000-2003 do not have TPMS), can ruin your wheels ("rims"), can cause your tires to become unbalanced if the tires are exposed to winter temperatures (the product pools at the bottom of the tire), and if you hit a nail/screw, the tire shop will not be able to apply a patch. It is best to get the bead cleaned and corrosion removed.
Old 04-02-18, 04:33 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I have recently been having troubles with the tires leaking down slowly. It has been since the hurricane so I though I might be picking up nails. No nails were found. Then I remembered that about that time I had added valve caps that has a red/blue indicator to tell at a glance if you tire was loosing pressure. Took a while but I realized that they were the culprit. Inside the cap is a piston/diaphragm that is pushed by the tire pressure to make the indicator change. When you put the caps on they push down to valve center pin to let air into the cap. If the cap is poorly designed the piston/diaphragm may leak slowly. I removed all the caps and my slow leaks disappeared. And, to answer the obvious question, the caps were tight so that was NOT the problem. My suggestion is to NEVER use these.
i had a slow leak in all four tires until I switched from Falken (=garbage tires) to Kumho. No more issues. Previously I would stop by a tire shop to have tires reinstalled as well as rims serviced against corrosion - but these Falken will still leak .
Old 04-02-18, 06:36 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Issues to be aware of when using stop-leak products are some products are not specifically TPMS-safe and can ruin your TPMS sensors (2000-2003 do not have TPMS), can ruin your wheels ("rims"), can cause your tires to become unbalanced if the tires are exposed to winter temperatures (the product pools at the bottom of the tire), and if you hit a nail/screw, the tire shop will not be able to apply a patch. It is best to get the bead cleaned and corrosion removed.
My 2004 does not have internal TPMS. The TPMS is external to the tire.
We dont have hard freezes here in south Texas.Freezing fix a flat take real low temps. We rarely get to 30F
My shop has no problems patching my tires after using the "fix a flat". And if the fix a flat is doing its job, there no worry with a nail.
Old 04-02-18, 08:57 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree with Stan. Do U have chrome wheels?
Old 04-02-18, 09:13 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Agree with Stan. Do U have chrome wheels?
I dont know. I am not a metallurgist. They could be polished aluminum, chrome, or shiny silver powder coat. These days unless you scratch them its hard to tell. Not going to scratch them.
Old 04-03-18, 06:47 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

for what the cost is to have the bead cleaned up and sanded- our wheels are all but guaranteed to be corroded and loose air. Certainly have them cleaned up if you have the chance.

Flat tires can be way more of a problem/cost that a bit of prevention.
Old 04-03-18, 09:01 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been having a slow leak in one of my 2013 GS wheels on the 430. One day, I decided to overinflate that tire by 7-9 lbs as I was going on a trip.

Never had a problem afterward after deflating it to the normal pressure a couple days later. I could only surmise it seated the tire to the rim.
Old 04-03-18, 09:35 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

My 2012 GX460 has OEM chrome wheels and one of them was leaking badly. Took it to Discount Tire where they were able to clean up the rim and remount the tire which has fixed the issue, for now. Discount Tire was nice enough to do this free of charge.
Old 04-03-18, 09:55 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Get rid of those fancy valve caps. IMO, these caps are the culprits. Just use regular plain vanilla caps.
Old 04-03-18, 02:19 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If the problem continues, have a tire shop break the bead and put some of the bead sealer between the tire and wheel. I did that on a car with leaky aluminum wheels. The tire shop did it as part of a tire rotation.
Old 04-04-18, 01:15 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I put "fix-a-leak" in the right front and it is no longer leaking.

Quick Reply: Trouble with slow leaks in tires