LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another...which tire to get post

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 10:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Believe me, I know where you're coming from, because for most of us, it is a "major" purchase and we want to be done with it for probably 60k miles which may be 4 yrs. I bought Bridgestone RE960 A/S from memory, highly rated, and not cheap, and they wore out fast. I was disappointed. That's why from that point forward, cheap Kumhos for my Maxima. They didn't last that long either, but I didn't feel that I paid a premium or a lot. These LS430s deserve good tires, but I think nobody really knows unless they've been through multiple sets of a tire. That's usually not the case because the tire has a new generation 4 yrs. later...
Old 03-20-18, 04:00 PM
Davidsofia
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by caverman
I'm know I'm starting to beat a dead horse here but I'm just about to pull the trigger. Every time someone recommends a tire someone else will have a reason not to buy it. Over in the 4th Gen LS section someone just happen to post that Pirelli will have a $70 rebate for a set starting in 3 more days and they also recommended the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. I think I've narrowed it down between the Pirelli and the Michelin Defender T+H. The Pirelli is a "V" tire and the Defender is "H".

I called DiscountTire (TireRack's prices are higher for both) and they would have to order both brands and it will take a day to get here. The turn key price for the Pirelli is $671 ($600 if the rebate does happen in a couple days) and turn key price for the Michelin is $796. I'll probably wait out the next few days but if they do give a $70 rebate then I'll probably just pull the trigger on Pirelli. Even without the rebate I'm leaning to Pirelli just due to the price and just hope they are as good as some have said.
One of the recent posts was correct, it is being over thought. $220 difference between to top tire choices. Like you said, your going to live with this choice for the next 4 years. $55 per year. That’s a tank of gas. You can take your wife to dinner once a year, but you can’t eat. If you kids are young it might get you a birthday present. Above all, keep perspective! Lol

Last edited by Davidsofia; 03-20-18 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Math
Old 03-20-18, 04:53 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidsofia
One of the recent posts was correct, it is being over thought. $220 difference between to top tire choices. Like you said, your going to live with this choice for the next 4 years. $55 per year. That’s a tank of gas. You can take your wife to dinner once a year, but you can’t eat. If you kids are young it might get you a birthday present. Above all, keep perspective! Lol
Agreed....and it's not all about money. If all I had to pay was $225 more to guarantee good smooth ride and good tread life I wouldn't have an issue with that at all. The problem is that every time one person recommends say Michelin then another guy says he had a terrible experience with them and would never use them again, so you never know who side with.

I'm getting to where it's like mentioned before, bottom line is both of these would probably be a good tire and both have their pros and cons so either way I probably won't go drastically wrong. So then it starts to come down to money and hopes that which ever one I choose will not disappoint because I'm going to have to live with them for the next 4 - 5 years. Both of them are rated as "Best" tires on both TireRack and DiscountTire and both have several high reviews.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 03-21-18, 09:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidsofia
Isn't this similar to the "do I really have to change my timing belt every 90k miles, or x years?" question? No doubt people don't, and go 130k all day long. So say you do it at 90k, when in reality you could have waited another 40k and it would have been just fine (which likely is the case)? Just divide the $850 indie price by 9 to represent 10k miles. Maybe you waste $95 for every 10k you change it out early. That's one impulsive lunch out with the family after mass. And then you have to be able to choose and feel justified. If I were to do the timing belt at 90k, I have the factory recommending it, so to push it 130k, 180k, is almost nice but one of those true, true, unrelateds...
Old 09-12-21, 04:14 PM
mickb
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rydanz tire?

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think you guys are overthinking this...they're tires.....you are often going to get what you pay for, so you can go to the head of the class by getting Premiers. What will you complain about then? The price, and the appearance of the outer edges having slivers falling off (personally I don't like it, Michelin says normal and don't worry), and the shallow tread as it starts at 8.5/32, not 11/32. Will your car suffer as a result? Not likely.

Or, you can go the other extreme, and get what came on my car, Rydanz Roadster 02's, they cost about $90, and what will happen? Nothing, they will be great in the wet, great in the dry, and 20k miles later, they will have more tread than a Premier starts out at....the Rydanz are W rated to 168 mph (this is self reported so I wouldn't take the LS430 up to 168 mph, I don't even think it can go beyond 130, unlike the original which may do 147). Just my thoughts, there is nobody here that has enough money, to conduct their own tire test of say 12 tires, and rate them over 1,000,000 miles, and then provide a scientifically valid report. So why not let the folks who can do this, make some recommendations, and follow them knowing ymmv....come's a time, when the blind man takes your hand, says don't you see
Rydanz tires are made in China and can never be compared to a quality US or European tire. Just because it is "W" rated in China doesn't mean it was tested here.
Old 09-14-21, 10:56 PM
V12Jake
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had Michelin Defenders on my LS400, Continental DSWs on my S600, and now Michelin Pilot Sport AS4+ on my LS430, and I have to say that by far and away I'm most impressed with the Pilot Sports. When I put new tires on El Benzo next summer I know what I'll be getting...
The following users liked this post:
mxyztplk (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 03:39 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 212 Posts

I just had fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on all 4 corners in size 245/45-R18 100Y. They handle well and grip well but are definitely noisier than the Avon ZZ5s that they replaced. I would have fitted another set of the ZZ5s but they are now discontinued. The ZZ5s lasted 35k miles of heavy use and 3 of them had over 3mm of tread left, but the 4th was badly worn on both edges. I had the tracking checked and the worn one (front left = kerbside in UK) was 5° out so I guess that a pothole somewhere caused that.
Old 09-16-21, 07:22 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I think very few of us have the training or experience to finely critique every tire, but I have noticed that in general tires are yet another thing where you will get what you pay for. All new tires feel amazing and there will always be a Kumho or someone else new who gets great reviews and undercuts everyone on price.
*Going with trusted names and spending a little more dough will get you better compounds which will drive more safely and wear more evenly, and give you more of the stated mileage.
That is really the big deal.
Personally I wait for sales and buy Michelin. Primacy's for 6 months and X-ICE 3's for 6 months. They are quiet and provide good life. I had good experiences with Good Year on one of my past cars also.
Old 09-16-21, 08:53 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires for maximum summer wet/dry performance yet still a very smooth ride (and the only Ultra High Performance tire from anyone that comes with a warranty)

Michelin Premier A/S full-size spare in trunk (long time warranty, perfect for sitting in a trunk for years)

Michelin X-Ice for winter

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the other big tire thread?