LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just how great is the LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 07:26 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just how great is the LS430?

I have owned my 2002 silver black UL since 2006 (bought it from a dealer CPO). I bought it with 24,000 miles, and now it has 106,000. I am in the process of buying a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. I took my wife's Porsche Panamera to the dealer today for service and they gave me a brand new Cayenne loaner (607 miles on it). It's a beautiful car, etc. However, I think that the 2002 LS UL has much nicer leather, and has a much better ride.
My air suspension had issues, and I finally converted the car to coils and shocks. The LS has never had a better ride than after the conversion. My paint is beautiful (I wax it often with very high quality wax), and the semi-aniline leather looks new other than the driver's set, which is a little shiny (seat part), but no cracks or discoloration. Driver's seat still feels great...I'm not a big guy. The alcantera headliner is still like new, etc. Everything on the car works. Other than the air suspension, I have had two repairs - one small fuel hose, and I replaced the radiator the other day.

In my opinion, these guys are way undervalued. The Lexus tech that takes care of my LS has told me that the 430 is a better car than the 460. I've been offered $6,750 for my car from a high end used car place in town. The owner doesn't buy cars that are older than 2011. If I had a third garage or a place to keep the LS, there is no way I'd sell it.
I've bought the Cayenne (it hasn't gotten here yet), and my wife has all she wants of my occasional "car-itis." So I'm committed, but the LS430 is every bit of the car as a new Porsche Cayenne. I will miss my LS, and it is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. I wish the values reflected the car.
Old 03-23-18, 07:07 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to hear you have to sell the LS... at that price from the dealer, you're getting a good deal for very little effort on your part. Sounds like your car is one someone on here would want to pick up. Enjoy the new Cayenne as best you can. Feel free to visit anytime
Old 03-23-18, 08:51 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

So you are going to take the $6,750 offer?

Every time I do these type of "upgrade" I regret them at some point. At least the Cayenne will be under warranty for a period of miles.

If you can afford to buy and maintain 2 Porsche it likely doesn't matter. $6,750 is interest for a month. Ha ha. There will always be another unicorn LS out there for you after you get the Cayenne Diesel out of your system.

What about the diesel is attractive compared to the gas version?
Old 03-23-18, 09:00 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

It would suck to have to sell a car that good for that little money. I would just keep it if possible.
Old 03-23-18, 09:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I autocrossed the Panamera GTS and not to be a snob but I found it very underwhelming. I asked the Porsche instructor, any tips?

"Always on the gas, or always on the brakes, never coasting. When you're coasting, you're losing time."

Talk about stating the obvious? He didn't say another word afterwards, guy must have hated his job.

How good is the LS430? It was pretty great during its time. Today, it's a throwback, meaning how boring are these stories, "I bought the car and never had a problem with it in xx mos." Kinda boring. The stories of expensive breakdowns are way more exciting to hear about, and you just don't hear them here.
Old 03-23-18, 07:09 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

It's a little weird to end up with two Porsches, because I hate spending $. I have been "car shopping" for the past four or five years, and every time I've gotten over it, and kept the LS. If the Cayenne wasn't a diesel, I wouldn't even consider it. I have this thing for a diesel vehicle. I have thought about keeping the LS, and storing it at a friend's warehouse (he does have plenty of $) where he keeps his toy cars. In a year, I'll either sell the LS or the Cayenne. I'm concerned that if I don't like the Cayenne, I just assume be back in the LS. First world issue, and yes I feel guilty spending mental real estate on this nonsense while people are hungry and homeless.
Old 03-24-18, 03:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mafpolo
It's a little weird to end up with two Porsches, because I hate spending $. I have been "car shopping" for the past four or five years, and every time I've gotten over it, and kept the LS. If the Cayenne wasn't a diesel, I wouldn't even consider it. I have this thing for a diesel vehicle. I have thought about keeping the LS, and storing it at a friend's warehouse (he does have plenty of $) where he keeps his toy cars. In a year, I'll either sell the LS or the Cayenne. I'm concerned that if I don't like the Cayenne, I just assume be back in the LS. First world issue, and yes I feel guilty spending mental real estate on this nonsense while people are hungry and homeless.
When I was 27 and a newly minted grad student, there was never a doubt in my mind that I would own a 911. But for some reason, the price of cars at least to me have accelerated faster than college tuition or daycare, and my budget in my mind (I don't really have it to spend) of $80k, can't even today, buy a 4 cyl Boxster S equipped. So maybe Porsche is out, as in bye bye, gone for good, see ya. But at least the local dealer does invite me, so I was at the 991 and previous Boxster launches. Somehow I wasn't invited to the latest 718 launch? But they did invite me to the event in 2015 where I drove the 991 GTS, Cayman GTS, and Panamera GTS with lead/follow and autocross events with their instructors. I will say it again, it's like the film Risky Business. PORSCHE--There is no substitute. BMW and MB don't even come close.

You are in the US, right? Diesels have really fallen out of favor, but it has spread to Europe (did you see BMW offices in Munich were raided this past week?). Why pay extra for fuel? It's usually 20 cents more right now, and has been up to 70 cents more, than PREMIUM....imho the only configuration a diesel should be in is an inline 6. If it's a modified gas V6, uh oh

Old 03-24-18, 07:32 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Is that dude from Poland? Actually the warrantees on the VW TDI motor used in the Cayenne post emission fix makes it a pretty sweet value if the Cayenne is bought at a good price. Then get it certified you have long bumper to bumper warrantee.

The emission warrantee covers fuel pump turbo the whole engine a whole lot of stuff to 120k. There was a 015 with 20k miles with hitch bunch of accessories I missed out on for under 45k$. Diesel is pretty competitive with regular in my area, otherwise you get a gasser Cayenne S or GTS U run pricey Premo. Good pickup on the Cayenne Diesel I have the same motor it is bulletproof and 406 lbs of torque and the 8 speed tranny is a hoot to drive.
Old 03-24-18, 07:36 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I was told Porsche makes more $$ selling its technology to other manufacturers than selling cars. But the Porsche brand is a high profit line in Skoda, VW Audi and a couple others. Drive a Cayenne they are sweet
Old 03-24-18, 08:51 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

I'm in the US, and diesel around here is the same price as premium. I am getting a good deal, and it is a CPO plus the diesel warranty. I feel good about all that.
Old 03-24-18, 08:59 AM
kelleher2
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I have owned my 2002 silver black UL since 2006 (bought it from a dealer CPO). I bought it with 24,000 miles, and now it has 106,000. I am in the process of buying a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. I took my wife's Porsche Panamera to the dealer today for service and they gave me a brand new Cayenne loaner (607 miles on it). It's a beautiful car, etc. However, I think that the 2002 LS UL has much nicer leather, and has a much better ride.
My air suspension had issues, and I finally converted the car to coils and shocks. The LS has never had a better ride than after the conversion. My paint is beautiful (I wax it often with very high quality wax), and the semi-aniline leather looks new other than the driver's set, which is a little shiny (seat part), but no cracks or discoloration. Driver's seat still feels great...I'm not a big guy. The alcantera headliner is still like new, etc. Everything on the car works. Other than the air suspension, I have had two repairs - one small fuel hose, and I replaced the radiator the other day.

In my opinion, these guys are way undervalued. The Lexus tech that takes care of my LS has told me that the 430 is a better car than the 460. I've been offered $6,750 for my car from a high end used car place in town. The owner doesn't buy cars that are older than 2011. If I had a third garage or a place to keep the LS, there is no way I'd sell
I've bought the Cayenne (it hasn't gotten here yet), and my wife has all she wants of my occasional "car-itis." So I'm committed, but the LS430 is every bit of the car as a new Porsche Cayenne. I will miss my LS, and it is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. I wish the values reflected the car.
I am now on my 5th LS430. Every time I sell one I want it back. I just sold a 2004 UL 49000 miles for $17500. I just Bought a 2004 UL (sticker was $70,000) with 61,000. I love this car. Have to replace rear air struts. Dealer price was $4100. The subwoofer has gone and just fixed door actuator. Took all day. My son and I did it. He hooked the brass arm on the wrong hole. Heard that before. Yesterday i had tint installed. Best car on the road
Old 03-24-18, 12:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Has anybody on this forum gone from LS to S550? Or will I be the first idiot someday lol I'm just thinking there has to be a bunch of stuff one can DIY, but maybe I am being naive as I would never touch a V8 BMW (inline 6 all day long)....I was thinking maybe 2009'ish....LS is awesome, reliable, and even affordable to maintain with a combo of DIY and indie. So when the S550 is broken down, the LS will be on the road. I just can't see multiple LS', it's not uber exciting, just reliable and a comfortable car...
Old 03-24-18, 02:31 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Has anybody on this forum gone from LS to S550? Or will I be the first idiot someday lol I'm just thinking there has to be a bunch of stuff one can DIY, but maybe I am being naive as I would never touch a V8 BMW (inline 6 all day long)....I was thinking maybe 2009'ish....LS is awesome, reliable, and even affordable to maintain with a combo of DIY and indie. So when the S550 is broken down, the LS will be on the road. I just can't see multiple LS', it's not uber exciting, just reliable and a comfortable car...
Reliability does come into play and makes a heavy statement when you are on the side of the road with an Benz 500 or BMW 7 series which is not uncommon. The grief you might experience with a late model Benz or Bimmer that breaks down is enough to wish you were even driving a Toyota Corolla! Reliability comes in first for my choosing a daily car. Second is looks, and how I feel about driving it. Yes... there are a zillion cars in my development that are upscale, and most are leased. I own my car free and clear, gets me everywhere, shines and looks new and everyone knows me because I've had it so long. Visiting a Mercedes or Bmw dealer is not a fun thing with a new car and especially when it's their flagship.. I stick with my "old man's car" 2001 Lexus LS430....Comfy and gets me where I need to go with never a worry. Who's the hero?
Old 03-24-18, 06:42 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Reliability does come into play and makes a heavy statement when you are on the side of the road with an Benz 500 or BMW 7 series which is not uncommon. The grief you might experience with a late model Benz or Bimmer that breaks down is enough to wish you were even driving a Toyota Corolla! Reliability comes in first for my choosing a daily car. Second is looks, and how I feel about driving it. Yes... there are a zillion cars in my development that are upscale, and most are leased. I own my car free and clear, gets me everywhere, shines and looks new and everyone knows me because I've had it so long. Visiting a Mercedes or Bmw dealer is not a fun thing with a new car and especially when it's their flagship.. I stick with my "old man's car" 2001 Lexus LS430....Comfy and gets me where I need to go with never a worry. Who's the hero?
Remember James Caan in, "The Gambler?" I used to watch late night reruns with my dad, and I guess I was too young to understand the end. In a way I feel like the character did in the movie. Driving a LS430 is just too easy, you buy it, it's nice, fix a couple of things, and then just drive it for years without anything going wrong. Almost like we're getting away with something. Too easy.....want to get caught, need some more excitement! hahahahahaha
Old 03-25-18, 02:24 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default I have not but...

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I have not, but my dad has the coupe version of that car. I have driven it when mine has been in the shop. It feels heavier, and more cumbersome. I personally prefer the LS. The dash on the MB looks more upscale, but not to where I would think of buying it. I do like his seat bolsters, but that is the only thing I prefer on that car.

Quick Reply: Just how great is the LS430?