LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Whistle or chirp when AC is on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 08:32 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Whistle or chirp when AC is on...

Hi everyone. I am really enjoying my 05 Custom Luxury I got last week. This is my fourth LS and I am hoping to keep this car for a long time. The car is so quiet, but I am noticing a hiss/chirp right in front of the steering wheel/lower firewall area when the AC is on. It cycles on and off. When the AC is off I don't hear it. Any thoughts on what this could be? It almost sounds like a loose pulley but there isn't one on that side of the car.
Old 03-29-18, 08:39 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My fan motor (under the glove box) makes some chirping when it is very cold. Could it be coming from the glove box area?

I know sounds travel strangely in cars. I can take my fan from Auto to higher speed and then back to Auto and the sound will usually go away. Again, only when really cold. Fine once the temps warm up.
Old 03-29-18, 08:44 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

I don't think its coming from the glove box. It sounds like its coming from the driver foot week under the dash.
Old 03-29-18, 10:03 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Just a suggestion maybe a bird or mouse made a nest in your car and you are hearing there offsrping?
Old 03-30-18, 09:33 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I get the very same noise coming from passenger side glovebox area. Sounds like it’s near the a/c filter. Blower motor? Any kind of fix without replacing blower motor?
Old 03-30-18, 01:19 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

You may have a mixer door not fully closing,i would also check the a/c filter for proper installation.Can't hurt!
It also could be you compressor bearing going bad.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 03-30-18 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 01:31 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Just to rule out the cabin air filter in the glovebox, remove it and see if the noise changes. The second thing to check, open your hood and look at the air intake grill(s) under the windshield. If you set your blower on maximum, you should be able to hear and feel the fresh air intake. Check to see if leaves or other debris got inside the intake. I think I had a similar noise a few years ago and it was just a leaf covering the air intake.
Old 04-01-18, 01:21 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a valve in the a/c system. Check to make sure your refrigerant is at the proper level, this noise usually appears when the level is low.
Old 04-01-18, 01:22 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Do you all recommend topping off the refrigerant? That makes me nervous but I have done it with other cars
Old 04-01-18, 01:26 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Have the system evacuated and charged properly by either the Toyota or Lexus dealer or qualified indie mechanic, shouldn't cost more than $150. They'll check for leaks too.
Old 04-01-18, 01:28 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I get the very same noise coming from passenger side glovebox area. Sounds like it’s near the a/c filter. Blower motor? Any kind of fix without replacing blower motor?
Dirty filter causing air to escape the filter box.
Old 04-01-18, 01:47 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

I misread the original post and answered for a noise on the passenger side. If it is a squelchy noise from behind the driver side foot pedal area, this could be a sign of low refrigerant. There is an expansion valve behind there that isn't soundproofed. Also, the LS430's interior is so quiet that little noises like this stand out - you might even hear this noise when refrigerant levels are correct. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ith-video.html

I had this noise for several few years but still had full AC cooling, so it was a very slow leak at first. One day the AC stopped working, dealership diagnosis was that the high-pressure line from the front of the car to the rear AC evaporator had corroded through (only available on Ultra Luxury trim with dual-AC units) and required replacement.

1hr labour for AC system inspection, $350 CAD for the high pressure tube (88716-50521) and various clamp/bolts/rings/screws, 7 hours of labour to do the work (this is the painful part), and another hour of labour to recharge the system, less than $50 for the R134a and PAG46 compressor oil. A member on these forums did a DIY for this - see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...sure-line.html
Old 04-01-18, 03:15 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Yeah I agree this is being caused by low Freon. Bummer. The AC is almost too cold in the car. Hopefully it’s an easy/cheap fix
Old 04-01-18, 07:41 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default re chirping noise behind driver seat foot area

@ 12

I have the same noise It seems to come from behind the driver seat foot well area.. When I bought the car I changed from air suspension to coilover. During this installation it was detected that the highpressure line to the rear a/c was corroded. When I found out what it would cost to replace the line I decided to cap this line off and just go with the front a/c
It was not long after that that the noice - like a squeaky squirrel cage - appeared. I had different mechanics look at the problem; none could find out. Suggestions ranged from squeaky suspension part, sqeaky swaybar (upgraded to sport) to wheel bearing (replaced) to noisy a/c compressor (replaced). All in vain - noise still there. It appears more often when the rear seat is occupied and when making a left turn. But then it can stop for weeks
What are your thoughts?
Old 04-02-18, 05:20 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Interesting. Mine doesn’t have rear AC since it’s not an Ultra.

Quick Reply: Whistle or chirp when AC is on...