LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

put my summers on today / observations

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 10:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default put my summers on today / observations

I put the summer tires back on today and I really like them over the winter 17's. I really nailed it because it snowed 3 days after I put them on, and I only used them 2X to work after the last snow/precipitation....preserve the life hehe

The summers came with the car in 10/16 and were brand new, so I feel like I'm riding for free. The thought did cross my mind to toss these "made in China engineered in Europe" tires, by my wife talked sense into me. They are absolutely fine in the wet, fine in the dry, not sure about snow. Two of them have a tack/staple in the very center rib, DOH! Will keep an eye on the pressure, none were flat from sitting. My experience is sometimes the tip of a staple embeds, but does not go through. Take it out, leak, plug, create a puncture that wasn't there before...so I'll observe the psis.

The front brakes are 50% gone in 23k? These are OE pads/rotors/sensor as done by the selling dealership. The only car that comes close to that is my wife's SUV--I figure heavy and undersized brakes. Maybe this is the LS430 as well. My wife's is like my BMW where rear pads wear faster than fronts (defy physics, hers is AWD, mine is RWD, but my thinking is traction control uses the braking in the rear, as does stability).

The rear brakes also seem to be beyond 50% gone, but those were not new at time of sale, and I have the Centrics, Akebono pads, and aftermarket sensor wire for later this summer. Likely will replace the front pads as well, don't want to ruin perfectly good rotors (although don't think that would happen here--my wife's is notorious for things embedding and damaging the rotors in the rears, others online have the same issue).

Front rotors are still loose, being held only by the calipers/pads. As mentioned, in 10/16 the selling dealership per my request used anti seize when doing the rotors, which I saw peeking out of the hubs.

Rear rotors are definitely frozen, but my M8-1.25 (40mm) bolt fits both rear rotors, and both fronts as well? It has a socket head and would like to get some with hex heads. Is there any possibility of still not being able to get the rotors off, given they have the extractor bolt holes? Hoping not. The only time I used such holes were on the Maxima, but stupidly, or beyond my control, the replacements which were Nissan, did not have the holes and were made in USA (so couldn't be the same as original).

I'm a little disappointed with the front pads but what can anyone do, I know they were brand new when I got this car, original pads/rotors/caliper bolts/sensor, so such is life. I guess I'll likely be putting the shims in all corners as well.

Good to see the original star rims back on!

p.s. I have a new toy which is a 20V DeWalt XR impact wrench, lugs come off in < 1 sec. I clocked it, putting them back on by hand, is 7-13 sec. I rather put back on by hand as I'm torquing them to 76....
Old 04-08-18, 03:24 PM
WindyCity1
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious what you're running for Winters and Summers. I picked up my LS430 in late February but decided not to pull the trigger on a set of Winters yet. It came with a decent set of Michelins but if the forecast called for snow I left the LS430 in the garage and took my 4Runner instead. I'm debating on what Winters to put on.
In Chicago I typically run Winters from Thanksgiving to Easter. I still have the Winters on my 4Runner and ML350 but will probably be putting the Summers back on this week if the 10 day forecast holds true for another couple of days.
Old 04-08-18, 04:20 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I put the summer tires back on today and I really like them over the winter 17's. I really nailed it because it snowed 3 days after I put them on, and I only used them 2X to work after the last snow/precipitation....preserve the life hehe

The summers came with the car in 10/16 and were brand new, so I feel like I'm riding for free. The thought did cross my mind to toss these "made in China engineered in Europe" tires, by my wife talked sense into me. They are absolutely fine in the wet, fine in the dry, not sure about snow. Two of them have a tack/staple in the very center rib, DOH! Will keep an eye on the pressure, none were flat from sitting. My experience is sometimes the tip of a staple embeds, but does not go through. Take it out, leak, plug, create a puncture that wasn't there before...so I'll observe the psis.

The front brakes are 50% gone in 23k? These are OE pads/rotors/sensor as done by the selling dealership. The only car that comes close to that is my wife's SUV--I figure heavy and undersized brakes. Maybe this is the LS430 as well. My wife's is like my BMW where rear pads wear faster than fronts (defy physics, hers is AWD, mine is RWD, but my thinking is traction control uses the braking in the rear, as does stability).

The rear brakes also seem to be beyond 50% gone, but those were not new at time of sale, and I have the Centrics, Akebono pads, and aftermarket sensor wire for later this summer. Likely will replace the front pads as well, don't want to ruin perfectly good rotors (although don't think that would happen here--my wife's is notorious for things embedding and damaging the rotors in the rears, others online have the same issue).

Front rotors are still loose, being held only by the calipers/pads. As mentioned, in 10/16 the selling dealership per my request used anti seize when doing the rotors, which I saw peeking out of the hubs.

Rear rotors are definitely frozen, but my M8-1.25 (40mm) bolt fits both rear rotors, and both fronts as well? It has a socket head and would like to get some with hex heads. Is there any possibility of still not being able to get the rotors off, given they have the extractor bolt holes? Hoping not. The only time I used such holes were on the Maxima, but stupidly, or beyond my control, the replacements which were Nissan, did not have the holes and were made in USA (so couldn't be the same as original).

I'm a little disappointed with the front pads but what can anyone do, I know they were brand new when I got this car, original pads/rotors/caliper bolts/sensor, so such is life. I guess I'll likely be putting the shims in all corners as well.

Good to see the original star rims back on!

p.s. I have a new toy which is a 20V DeWalt XR impact wrench, lugs come off in < 1 sec. I clocked it, putting them back on by hand, is 7-13 sec. I rather put back on by hand as I'm torquing them to 76....
For your reference: My 04 brake pad replacement from new at zero miles. Front pads were first replaced at 50,475 miles and rear pads first replaced at 65,724.
Old 04-09-18, 06:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jayclapp
For your reference: My 04 brake pad replacement from new at zero miles. Front pads were first replaced at 50,475 miles and rear pads first replaced at 65,724.
Thanks I guess to be about 1/2 eyeballing, at 23k, isn't unusual...

My snows are the X-ice Xi3's. I don't like that they are made in Thailand, would prefer USA, Japan, or Germany. If I had to do it again, I would try Blizzaks.

The summers came with the car, Rydanz Roadster 02's. Again, I feel like I am riding for free since they were new and came with the car! I would likely go Pilot Sport A/S 3+ from Costco, if replacing them...

Actually, it dawned on me later yesterday, no more howl/drone from the snows!! Another plus of going back to summers...
Old 04-09-18, 01:15 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Consider Toyo Celsuis. A year round "winter" tire. It has mixed properties. I have them on my 01. I will be putting them on my wife's 04 come fall.
Old 04-09-18, 07:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Love my X-ice Brakes last forever in rural driving
Old 04-10-18, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be curious to know if those mixed tires perform. If they did what they say, everybody in Montréal would have them, because already, some people don't bother to remove their snow tires.

I suppose that those of us who do put snows on all corners, should actually not use all seasons and would be better suited with full blown summers (which I think were available on these cars when new). Then again we don't really need that performance and the tendency is to trade-off for tire life, and we're back to all seasons.

If the X-Ice's last long, that's fine with me, who wants to buy another set on an old car!

btw I noticed that all 10 lugs on the fronts, needed to be retightened to 76 ft lbs--probably because it can't be tightened down when in the air as the wheels rotate. On the backs, only 2/10 needed retightening (don't tell me I forgot them, highly doubt that)...