LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Muffler Delete/Borla/Magnaflow interior noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18 | 04:52 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Default Muffler Delete/Borla/Magnaflow interior noise

I'm interested in a muffler delete for my 430, or buying some borlas to give it some rumble. However I really like having a quiet interior. How much would interior noise be effected with some loud aftermarket mufflers or a straight pipe?
Old 04-08-18 | 04:58 PM
Neverdone
Driver

I've been looking into this as well. I found some sound clips of straight pipes and although it sounds pretty good, it's too loud for my daily driver.

Muffler delete clips sound pretty good and I think it might be option 1, but if there are some decent muffler clips out there, I'd like to hear those as well to make a decision.
Old 04-08-18 | 05:02 PM
semar
Advanced

Default muffler noise

It will be VERY noisy. Had another car; installed an ANSA muffler. Drove me bananas. Sure it was an impressive noise when it just idled. But when driving around the rumbling got to me. On the highway the constant drone spoiled any music or conversation.
Took it off and went to OEM - what a relief.
Lexus are not made for loud interior. If you like the carnoise go to a dragrace
Old 04-08-18 | 05:50 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

You are fine to do a muffler delete it will not be loud at all it will have a nice burble but that's it. The exhaust goes through restrictive exhaust manifolds passing through two small cats then through a very restrictive third cat then through a long resonator then to the mufflers all through 1.8 inch piping cutting the mufflers off will make it sound like the nissan 350z or a g35 slight tone and thats it.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 04-08-18 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-10-18 | 09:47 AM
Romanova
Racer

I guess I'm just getting older. I was hard-up to do the exhaust on my car, but the more I drive it the more I appreciate how quiet it is. I love getting on it and getting up to speed in an effortless manner that draws absolutely no attention to myself. I guess at 38, the old man persona of this car is really rubbing off on me.
The following users liked this post:
DBinMD (02-17-23)
Old 04-10-18 | 05:56 PM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Muffler deletes usually result in some unwanted drone at certain throttle conditions like high gear on the freeway and going up hills. If you wanted a little more sound without losing the cabin comfort, we would recommend looking into an axle back or quality muffler upgrade!
Old 04-10-18 | 06:07 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Ha I was actually looking into Magnaflow, any recommendations for a moderate and rumbly muffler or axleback for the LS430?
Old 04-10-18 | 06:38 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Romanova
I guess I'm just getting older. I was hard-up to do the exhaust on my car, but the more I drive it the more I appreciate how quiet it is. I love getting on it and getting up to speed in an effortless manner that draws absolutely no attention to myself. I guess at 38, the old man persona of this car is really rubbing off on me.
I am 26 and could not imagine any of my cars without an exhaust, I do it to make the car go faster though not for attention. I agree with you though these cars are amazing I am actually looking at getting another one and just keeping it bone stock so I can just hop in drive and enjoy the experience of the LS430.

Originally Posted by Abernoots
Ha I was actually looking into Magnaflow, any recommendations for a moderate and rumbly muffler or axleback for the LS430?
If you can hold off when I go to look at a rx300 in nyc I can meet up with you and show you my exhaust I will be having made soon as the salts off the roads.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 04-10-18 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-11-18 | 09:14 AM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

We've found that our 4x9x14" oval mufflers are an awesome choice for an upgrade on most sport/sport compact cars. They provide enough muffling to prevent droning and resonance but still sound great and give you a bit more volume than stock mufflers. We offer them in a handful of different offset configurations and piping diameters to fit just about every application. You can check them all out here on our site:

https://www.magnaflow.com/automotive...oval/products/

The filter feature on the left side of the page makes finding the correct muffler much easier. If you have any questions about the different styles just let us know!
Old 04-15-18 | 03:39 PM
bcabano
Driver School Candidate

You should consider doing Electric Cutouts, mine are right behind the stock mufflers and I have the resonators and 3rd Cat deleted, sounds stock when they're closed and sound like this when open:
Old 04-17-18 | 09:49 AM
Abernoots
Rookie

Holy ****. That sounds incredible. I really want cutouts, but paying ~500 for the parts alone from QTP kinda stings at the moment. But this gives me a great idea for what I want, thanks!! Does removing the resonator and 3rd cat affect MPG at all? I'm in NYC, I'm lucky to get 15 mpg when I drive like a grandma
Old 04-17-18 | 03:07 PM
bcabano
Driver School Candidate

Holy ****. That sounds incredible. I really want cutouts, but paying ~500 for the parts alone from QTP kinda stings at the moment. But this gives me a great idea for what I want, thanks!! Does removing the resonator and 3rd cat affect MPG at all? I'm in NYC, I'm lucky to get 15 mpg when I drive like a grandma
Thanks! And yeah the price is a little steep but still was cheaper than most cat back exhausts for other cars. I think it’s worth it to save up for the cutouts instead of just chopping off the mufflers/resonators/3rd cat. I keep the cutouts open 99% of the time but if I’m driving with someone like my parents or someone who doesn’t care too much for cars it’s nice to be able to shut them and not having to talk over the exhaust. I didn’t notice any MPG change but if you do go this route you’ll fall in love with the sound and find yourself driving a little more aggressively just to hear it haha! Be sure to post up here whatever route you go and any questions just shoot me a message
Old 05-04-18 | 02:08 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

So I just bought a set of JEGS cutouts, I'm wondering how I'm gonna wire them, how and where did you hook up the 12v line to?
Old 05-04-18 | 04:03 PM
bcabano
Driver School Candidate

So I just bought a set of JEGS cutouts, I'm wondering how I'm gonna wire them, how and where did you hook up the 12v line to?
I had my buddy wire mine along the exhaust, into the trunk, and used a fuse tap to wire it into one of the fuses back there
Old 05-04-18 | 05:50 PM
Abernoots
Rookie

Are yours wireless? I wanted a physical switch, so mine are wired

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete/Borla/Magnaflow interior noise