LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Weird trunk issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 03:34 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weird trunk issue...

Alright, now that I'm driving the LS, I'm noticing a few random things, but have figured out most everything except for this...

I'll use the trunk button to open the trunk, close it and it looks closed, no light on the dash, but I can just open it if I pull up on it.

also, I'll note that it doesnt open while I'm driving or anything and again, no notification the the trunk is open unless I actually open it...

any ideas?
Old 04-13-18, 03:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Might be good to clarify which 'trunk button' you're using. The lever inside the car, or the touch opener on the trunk.

When you 'pull up on it', are you certain you're not pulling up in the exact spot where the touch open button is?

Probably not but sometimes the most obvious things can be the answer
Old 04-13-18, 03:51 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Hahahhahaaaaa....

oh man. See I thought it was something like that but I couldn't find anything on the trunk having a button on it.

ya. I'm a new to these cars lol
Old 04-13-18, 04:01 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverdone
Alright, now that I'm driving the LS, I'm noticing a few random things, but have figured out most everything except for this...

I'll use the trunk button to open the trunk, close it and it looks closed, no light on the dash, but I can just open it if I pull up on it.

also, I'll note that it doesnt open while I'm driving or anything and again, no notification the the trunk is open unless I actually open it...

any ideas?
Possibly the trunk is not latching spray it with some kinda of grease (I use fluid film) and use the button to unlock the trunk when its open all the way. You should hear a mechanical sound of the lock engaging and when you go to close it it should have the same sound, but it will pull the trunk closed all the way.

By chance are your rear trunk struts shot causing the trunk to slam down? I know that if I close my trunk with force it will not close.
Old 04-13-18, 04:43 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Possibly the trunk is not latching spray it with some kinda of grease (I use fluid film) and use the button to unlock the trunk when its open all the way. You should hear a mechanical sound of the lock engaging and when you go to close it it should have the same sound, but it will pull the trunk closed all the way.

By chance are your rear trunk struts shot causing the trunk to slam down? I know that if I close my trunk with force it will not close.
thanks man, I'm sure it's just me being an idiot and didn't realize there was a button there . It does make a sound, it seems to work fine lol
Old 04-13-18, 09:00 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

thanks man, I'm sure it's just me being an idiot and didn't realize there was a button there . It does make a sound, it seems to work fine lol
You are not an idiot! There is a great difference between being ignorant and being an idiot. We are all born being "ignorant" of the world we live in. The more we learn, the less ignorant be become. An "idiot" is incapable of learning to a great degree. There is no reason to be ashamed of being ignorant. We are all ignorant to some degree and that does not mean that some are of less value than others. Cheer up.
Old 04-13-18, 09:52 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Yah no problem and there is a bajillion buttons and gadgets on these cars no apology needed, there is no stupid questions so ask away.
The following users liked this post:
Hugh9591 (11-28-19)
Old 04-13-18, 10:03 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Here's the thing....im a HUGE car guy and I pride myself in knowing and researching everything I can, especially before i make a thread lol

so, it's more embarrassing than anything really lol I really appreciate the kind words though guys!
Old 04-14-18, 03:55 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Hugs all around!
Old 05-02-18, 03:28 PM
Neverdone
Driver

So...some people may remember my other thread about an annoying "binging sound". Well today I saw a notification really quick while it binged and it was a "trunk open" message.

so its closed and while I did make this thread about pulling up on it, I noticed that if I pull up anywhere, it will just open not just around the button area.

I'm only adding to this thread, because now I can solve 2 annoying issues, the binging and the trunk not closing and ya maybe his will help some other poor sap.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (05-03-18)
Old 05-07-18, 06:46 PM
Neverdone
Driver

Another addition and a resolution to this issue. I put my key in the trunk lock and I heard the mechanism making a noise and popped the trunk.

closed the trunk, and unlike every other time, the mechanism made a sound again....and it was fully closed.

pulled the trunk button in the cabin, popped perfectly, let it down slightly and the soft close initiated....fully closed.

issue resolved...let this be a lesson to other people that might have the issue...or maybe I will be the only one lol
Old 11-28-19, 06:26 PM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Not an idiot

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Yah no problem and there is a bajillion buttons and gadgets on these cars no apology needed, there is no stupid questions so ask away.
Coming here and asking a question is proof positive you are not an idiot. This is a new car to you and the manual is several hundred pages long. You could spend weeks reading it and not find the answer. You did the smart thing and asked for help.

Old 11-30-19, 08:33 AM
Diplocar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piggybacking on this thread, has anyone had luck replacing the rubber cover on the underside of the trunk near the license plate? Mine has turned to goo.
Old 11-30-19, 10:57 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Diplocar
Piggybacking on this thread, has anyone had luck replacing the rubber cover on the underside of the trunk near the license plate? Mine has turned to goo.
Pretty common issue across the lexus line. This should get you started.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tch-today.html
Old 12-01-19, 05:29 AM
Hugh9591
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Diplocar
You don't have to replace the entire switch; you can replace the rubber cover. That's what I did. My switch was working fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trunk-Hatch...-/233173569777

Quick Reply: Weird trunk issue...