LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No XM radio when toggling AM/SAT button.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 03:14 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default No XM radio when toggling AM/SAT button.

I see that satellite radio was installed as a dealer option when the original owner bought my '06. The XM antenna is on the roof.

When I press the AM/SAT button the radio stays in AM mode.

Any ideas what's going on? Is there a separate fuse for the XM module?
Old 04-15-18, 04:22 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Attached are pages from the 2006 Owner's Manual. It appears that you have to subscribe to separate XM satellite services to receive broadcast signals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XM Radio.pdf (144.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 04-15-18, 04:38 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Attached are pages from the 2006 Owner's Manual. It appears that you have to subscribe to separate XM satellite services to receive broadcast signals.
The problem is that the satellite functionality isn't working at all -- it's like the XM receiver is not present. When I press the button nothing happens. So I cannot tune to channel 000. So I'm wondering if the receiver is getting power. That's why I'm wondering about a fuse.
Old 04-15-18, 07:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I see that satellite radio was installed as a dealer option when the original owner bought my '06. The XM antenna is on the roof.
I don't think I've ever seen a dealer installed sat radio antenna on the roof of an LS430 - only on the edge of the trunk lid as shown in the following post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tml#post930984

If you are referring to the stubby antenna on the roof, it was used only for Lexus Link beginning with the 2004 model year or for dealer installed phone systems before that.
Old 04-15-18, 07:48 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kansas
I don't think I've ever seen a dealer installed sat radio antenna on the roof of an LS430 - only on the edge of the trunk lid as shown in the following post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tml#post930984

If you are referring to the stubby antenna on the roof, it was used only for Lexus Link beginning with the 2004 model year or for dealer installed phone systems before that.
The antenna says "XM" and is on the roof just above the middle part of the windshield:

Old 04-15-18, 08:39 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how can i find out if mine came equipped siriusXM ready?
Old 04-15-18, 08:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The antenna says "XM" and is on the roof just above the middle part of the windshield:
It's hard to say what kind of aftermarket product you've got. You might have to pull the head to see if an XM tuner is plugged into it. There are inexpensive XM kits on eBay if what you have is defective.
Old 04-15-18, 09:01 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I've never seen one mounted there. It seems that either the windshield weather seal was broken for the install or the cable snakes its way around the windshield channel to get to that position. Your problem could easily lie with the antenna cable. Typically, the antenna is mounted on the edge of the trunk lid or centered at the bottom of the rear glass.
Old 04-15-18, 09:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TriC
I've never seen one mounted there. It seems that either the windshield weather seal was broken for the install or the cable snakes its way around the windshield channel to get to that position. Your problem could easily lie with the antenna cable. Typically, the antenna is mounted on the edge of the trunk lid or centered at the bottom of the rear glass.
I doubt if the antenna cable is damaged. Punching through a windshield gasket is a typical method used by aftermarket installers to avoid the interior disassembly required to run the antenna cable to the rear. The antenna cable is probably harmlessly tucked behind the interior windshield post trim and headliner.
Old 04-15-18, 09:28 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kansas
It's hard to say what kind of aftermarket product you've got. You might have to pull the head to see if an XM tuner is plugged into it. There are inexpensive XM kits on eBay if what you have is defective.
The installation took place at the dealership one week after the car was purchsed:

From the service history:

Service: XM SATELLITE RADIOdescription: XM SATELLITE RADIO ~ ~INSTALL XM SATELLITE RADIO - AUTO SOUND ~ ~. ~ ~XM SATELLITE RADIO INSTALLED - AUTO SOUND
Old 04-15-18, 10:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The installation took place at the dealership one week after the car was purchsed:

From the service history:

Service: XM SATELLITE RADIOdescription: XM SATELLITE RADIO ~ ~INSTALL XM SATELLITE RADIO - AUTO SOUND ~ ~. ~ ~XM SATELLITE RADIO INSTALLED - AUTO SOUND
That doesn't mean that the XM system you have is a Lexus product or installed by a dealership employee. Dealerships often bring in outside people to install aftermarket products.

For example, when I bought my first Lexus LS in early 1990, the dealer installed Lexus brand car phone was nose-bleed expensive. The Lexus dealer offered a much less costly President phone system that looked and worked similar to the Lexus phone except for not having the steering wheel control module. Installation of the President phone system was done at the Lexus dealership by a Southwestern Bell employee or contractor.