LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's broken on your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 08:38 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

My telescoping function makes a short squeak when I try to engage it. I bought the bushing to try that, will dig into it one of these days and report back in the main thread for tilt/telescoping...
Old 04-16-18, 08:45 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Although the LS430 model is known to be a reliable car.....the actual meaning of reliable to me is that for the most part it will not leave the driver stranded. This is absolutely true. With regards to items that are not working as they were intended from new, the list can be long. I was told years ago from the head of operations at a Lexus dealer, it is not wise to attempt to fix every item on your older car that is not working properly. This can be very costly and time consuming. My 2001 LS430 currently has 135,000+ miles. Yes, I still enjoy my car very much and plan on keeping it, but here are the items that I've learned to live with:

1) trouble Code P0440 Evap emission control...Fuel smell intermittently after shutting car off. Engine/Trans performance perfect. I've made many attempts to repair, but have given up at this time.
2) Oil leak from dip stick 0 ring and rear main seal. Also transmission leak at shifter bushing. All leaks are not extensive and do not wet the garage floor. I've been using Mobil 1 High Mileage for the last year or so wihich seems to slow things down. Trans leak has stayed about the same.
3) Headlight leveling system stopped working. Does not affect oncoming traffic and lighting at night is fine. .
4) The steering automatic telescoping system when getting in and out of car was disabled when I purchased the car 9 years ago. From the car's history, the first owner had the car in to replace the entire column when the car was new! I don't adjust the steering as I am the only person driving, and all the manual controls still work.
5) Power steering pump will whine in the cold weather until warmed up. Here in Florida this is a non issue as there are only a few days a year it gets cold.
6) Intermittent sound coming from glove compartment area related to a/c. Topic has been discussed on forum, and I have lived with it for years. A/C is ice cold with no issues. .

As mentioned earlier, none of these items takes away from my car's reliability but could be costly if all were addressed. My car is 17 years old and looks and drives like a new car. I know I couldn't replace it easiily and don't plan to.
Old 04-16-18, 08:49 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
1) trouble Code P0440 Evap emission control...Fuel smell intermittently after shutting car off. Engine/Trans performance perfect. I've made many attempts to repair, but have given up at this time.
I am pretty sure thats the evap vent valve getting stuck open and thats why you are smelling gas when you shut the car off because the "system" has a "hole" in it
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18, 09:29 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I am pretty sure thats the evap vent valve getting stuck open and thats why you are smelling gas when you shut the car off because the "system" has a "hole" in it
Thank you 05LS....You may very well be right, however I've found out that there are no replaceable parts for the charcoal cannister on our cars. It is sold as one unit. The cost of the part is prohibitive not to mention the extensive amount of labor to replace it.
Old 04-16-18, 09:34 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

My telescopic motor sometimes doesn’t want to work properly. I noticed when I reinstall the negative cable on the battery it actually makes it work perfectly fine for some time. But After 5-10 engine starts, the steering wheel doesn’t want to smoothly move forwards and backwards any more. Doesn’t bother me too much, but I am actually looking at turning off this motor completely using Techstream.
Old 04-16-18, 09:36 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Thank you 05LS....You may very well be right, however I've found out that there are no replaceable parts for the charcoal cannister on our cars. It is sold as one unit. The cost of the part is prohibitive not to mention the extensive amount of labor to replace it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MHX7BY6/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523896467&sr=8-2-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ls430+charcoal+canister

Advanced auto has it for $60 that should fix your problem
Old 04-16-18, 09:59 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MHX7BY6/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523896467&sr=8-2-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ls430+charcoal+canister

Advanced auto has it for $60 that should fix your problem
Thanks again. Rock Auto also has the same part for $47. However, having said this, the problem will still need to be diagnosed properly at a qualified shop (Lexus as they have the appropriate diagnostic equipment) and the labor involved is still up there as the part is located under the gas tank. I believe one axle in the rear has to be removed or disconnected as well. For the present time, I'm living with it.
Old 04-16-18, 11:33 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree reliable means always drivable. My 01 Base was stellar. Did factory service, a set of tires and battery. Nothing else. Never left me stranded. Definitely a cross country car.

I bought an 04 ML Sports. Low mileage, one owner, dealer service. The usual stuff done by previous owner (both mirrors, drivers door lock, ML amp, etc). In 1.5 years, I've still had a steady stream of minor repairs (typically 200-300) and now the $800 PS pump replacement (my choice). I do preventative maintenance. Mirrors don't fold. Key unlocks only drivers door. Trans drain. Shin-Etsu, filters, etc. I love my LS but at some point, paying for repairs isn't going to work. DIY is the way to go with these cars.
Old 04-16-18, 11:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks again. Rock Auto also has the same part for $47. However, having said this, the problem will still need to be diagnosed properly at a qualified shop (Lexus as they have the appropriate diagnostic equipment) and the labor involved is still up there as the part is located under the gas tank. I believe one axle in the rear has to be removed or disconnected as well. For the present time, I'm living with it.
I believe that when my Maxima was newer, I had this problem...it may have been 6 y.o. or so. I distinctly remember attempting to clean it by the forum's instructions, but the code kept eventually coming back. True story, I was under my car and Jehovah's Witnesses came and my dog was on a rope which he pulled taught and was barking. I was surprised they wouldn't leave because I was worried about the jack falling and all the barking etc. Anyway, I paid the dealership about $300 which to me was a fortune in 2004, and the problem never came back to present! Maybe from the factory something was defective and corrected.....the device was under the rear left wheel well...this is altima but I remember it being very similar

https://www.justanswer.com/nissan/79...99-altima.html
Old 04-16-18, 12:21 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

My center console latch is busted, I'll get to it eventually but I consider it luxury not necessity...
Pass side steering rack bellow has a tear and the rack had a tiny leak on that side until I added some Lucas stop leak and it actually worked! Everything else in and around the engine compartment is clean and dry. I'm waiting patiently to see if the leak returns and if so I'll replace the rack.
Slight clunk in the Dr side front wheel that messes with my OCD but I'm confident new LBJ's will fix it.
Old 04-16-18, 01:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Bottom line is this.....If I was fully retired, and money was not an issue....maintaining our LS430s quirks could certainly fill my 40 hour week nicely with things to do. Yes, the car doesn't break down, but with it's age and degree of sophistication (More packages or upgrades) will determine what might fail next. If you can DIY fine... if not....the costs can be prohibitive if you want your car up to the minute. Just remember this... as I am posting this our cars are continuing to age. Still love the car.... Just have to accept that old is old and when enough is enough. I haven't gotten there yet even after 9 years of ownership. Wish they made a car like the LS430 today. Not going to happen.
Old 04-16-18, 06:19 PM
rbock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every thing on my 04 UL works at 101000 miles. It has been garage kept sense new.
Old 04-16-18, 06:25 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rbock
Every thing on my 04 UL works at 101000 miles. It has been garage kept sense new.
I wish I could have done that to bad I was like 12 when these cars first came out lol
Old 04-16-18, 07:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Nothing is broken on my 04 UL.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 10:08 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats to everyone that has a trouble free car. Am sure being an original owner helps. It must have be fun to drive a brand new 430

Quick Reply: What's broken on your LS?