LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's broken on your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 08:04 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Front PS door actuator; repair in process.
Old 04-18-22, 09:58 AM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

2005 Ultra around 145k. Tilt wheel motor dead but left in OK position. XM radio dealer installed when new no longer works but probably just needs an antenna: I can get 1, but the original dual-lead type is not made any longer, so even then I might get Antenna warning and metadata would not work, from what I have seen. Subwoofer questionable but looks ok. I have found myself cranking up bass (listen to classical) to kind of compensate.

I replied however for another reason: Alternator died Saturday, stranding me. First time EVER stranded except driving except tire in this car. Got AAA 2 years ago just for this possibility. Finally getting wiser and towed it locally rather than dealer. $600 and is is good (for now) at a Firestone repair shop that had the benefit of being open on Saturday afternoon. He also mentioned signs of coolant leak (dried) and I did have to add recently. Will keep an eye... I did water pump 4 years ago (should have been done with timing belt at 90k but I am not sure they ever really did it, crooks at that old place. Hoping it is not water pump again after just 10-15k miles, but wondering if I should change radiator pro-actively, or pressure test, etc. The firestone guy did not seem eager to go there...

I want to keep car but dying on road is bad, and as it ages it makes it more likely. Still, my in-laws brand new car died twice in first 2 years (Cadillac XT5) until they replaced battery. So being stranded once for a "known wear item" could be worse. My son will be a new driver soon so it makes me wonder about safety. New cars are less likely to have a problem.

BTW they did not change my battery, 2-3 years old, with alternator. I OK'd it to be replaced but he said it tested fine. That has killed me at least 2-3X in past after just 2-3 years, so thinking I should change it soon anyway. Don't know about others, but my LS430 has always eaten batteries every 2-3 years... shocking.

Seeing the dashboard die out and car run (briefly) with no lights was spooky and sad. At least I got smarter and did not take it to a dealer. I can only imagine their price.... Hope the part is decent from a "chain store" place... time will tell.

Last edited by demark1; 04-18-22 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 11:15 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts

not broken anymore, but the dynamic laser (not radar) cruise control was broken on my Custom Luxury 2005 LS430
looked for 2 years for this car and really wanted this feature as well as ML stereo that was not on previous LS430 premium.
so cost to repair part was $1813.31 from dealer and available on line for $1185.33 and installation took 7 hours at the dealer but was only charged $125.00
and I was given a new ES for the day. dealers get a lot of crap on here, but overall I am pleased with my local LEXUS dealer and I would recommend the dealer near you unless you know for a fact that they are bad. they charge $189 an hour for labor and pretty much put that part on for a loss.
that part can be found used for as little as $500.00 but who can put it on and make it work. the dealer that's who
The following users liked this post:
aypues (04-20-22)
Old 06-18-23, 08:02 PM
Cancer430
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought from dealer with ugliest 16" 7 spoke wheels so it looks like a luxury monster truck (considering them "broken" because I "need" new ones).
Front passenger door actuator doesn't work and the drivers one just went out today.
Steering wheel telescoping doesn't work.
Backup camera doesn't work.
Drivers mirror under-glow light thingy doesn't work.
Needs bodywork all around done to it eventually but I'll do that when I repaint it (I'll learn to paint at the body shop I work at... eventually)
Need to do timing belt and water pump this summer.

Other than those things I'd say this is an amazing car, especially it being my first one.

Details:
178K miles; little to no rust; bought for $8,500; did new alternator battery brake pads rotors and tires, drives amazing 😊
Old 06-19-23, 04:57 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Everything works but the steering wheel motor make light noises. Prepared. Wheels had light curb rashes and had 2nd set wheel powder coated. When it needs a set of new tires the wheels will be swapped.
Old 06-19-23, 08:20 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Did a lot of DIY since I got my 03 about 4 years ago. The following are the "open" issues:
1. both steering wheel motors are not working
2. laser cruise control failed (normal cruise works)
3. RR door lock sometimes won't unlock (probably the locking mechanism that needs to be replaced)
4. RR power windows making noise (motor probably is on it's way out)
5. FR door soft close is not working

They are kind of annoying but no plan on fixing any of these items since they don't affect how I drive. (also, it would $$)
Old 06-19-23, 03:16 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

The door soft close has always been an issue and when under regular warranty had 2 replaced. Later years battery has died twice because wife likes the soft close and when it didn't work the dome light would kill battery overnight. I have since told her to close the door and don't ever use the soft close.
Old 06-20-23, 04:49 AM
Freddy12
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I was thinking of items I need to repair...whether to do it myself, or take to a mechanic to repair. I'm also wonder what all you guys have on your LS that's OEM broken (not working as supposed to from factory, NOT MODS/custom projects that you need to complete.)

My 2005 needs.....
  • Driver's side door lock actuator (I've had the motor for a year but can't decide to DIY or take to dealer, lol)
  • Tilt/telescoping steering wheel doesn't reliably work 100% of the time. Probably will just live with it as is.
  • Exhaust leak is throwing a code, so I have CEL and VSC lamps on. Leak is from the passenger side exhaust at a gasket.
So....what's broken on YOUR LS, whether you intend to repair it nor not? If nothing's broken on your LS, feel free to comment that also.
Only item right now is tilt/telescopic steering wheel. Pulled fuse thanks to this forum. Won't fix for now but bothers me a bit tbh. OCD....
Old 06-20-23, 07:01 PM
LS430Jim
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Oh boy - Maybe a lot?

2005 LS430 with ML package. 205K miles

Gizmos:
I cannot unlock the Valet Trunk Lock - although I for a fact have the original master key and emergency key - neither unlock valet trunk lock. help!!?
ABS Light - RF speed sensor has corrosion in the connection, need to clean and hope it works.
Subwoofer - Foam has left the chat
VSC Light - may have issue with steering angle sensor, YAW sensor, and ABS sensor above
AFS Disabled - Due to RF Speed Sensor

Oh and front passenger seat base does not slide forward or back.

Mechanical:
Some noise when car is stopped and in D or R, not neutral?
Bad LCA bushings - on the list to replace
Small PS Pump noise - might be normal I can't hear when driving in the car.
Front Driver Clunk - sounds like strut clunk but some days it doesn't make the noise at all - checked and it's not the sunroof
Parking Brake does not work

Overall pretty happy with my car - sure I missed a few things

Guess I am lucky that the Telescoping steering wheel and door lock actuators all seem to work, along with the NAV system.
All speakers except subwoofer have good foam surrounds still.
Doesn't leak any PS or Oil. Got lucky there!
Also the TCM appears to be holding up, shifts are slightly firm but definitely seem not to be 'hard shifts'

If anyone has suggestions for the above let me know

Last edited by LS430Jim; 06-21-23 at 07:37 AM. Reason: more stuff broken than I rememebered
Old 06-22-23, 02:06 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Just lost the radiator today after 22+ years. Timing belt had 87k so went ahead and am having the shop do that service at the same time along with WP, thermostat, etc. Finally got the driver side rear wheel bearing replaced and restored the silent ride 😀.

For an ‘01, my list is small but includes the passenger side view mirror swing out motor and the door actuators get wonky if left out in the sun while parked.

The leather is showing it’s age a bit around the center arm rest. The shelf on the nav/control screen was scratched from the day we acquired this used in ‘04 and I ended up laying down a strip of black vinyl which improved the esthetics. A/C still is cold and engine runs smooth. Did the struts and LCA bushings about 4 years ago and the wheels/tires 2 years ago with brakes 18 months ago. Still a lot less expensive than a newer car.

Almost traded this in for an RX last summer but decided to go another 2-3 years as it still is a nice ride. Will reassess then to decide whether or not to make a change.

Last edited by Duck05; 06-29-23 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 01:53 PM
HiPatrick
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As we speak

Tilt motor has gone out on the steering wheel, though telescopic still works fine.

I suspect the rear right door lock actuator is on its way out, though have not seen any problematic symptoms in some time now.

NAV unit is faulty. Has the typical "Check map DVD is correct" message and does not display any form of map.

Rear sunshade blind does not retract properly. It retracts to the left side only, causing it to rise on a angle.

Loose front left splash shield (the lowboy static life), can hear it slapping against something as I drive of rough roads. I need to ask, is this an urgent fix? Because I don't have access to any tools and would need to book in at my suspension shop to get it raised up etc.

Upper control arm clunking? Cannot tell as of yet, but I almost suspect so because it's one of the only components in the front end I have not had touched.

That's really it at the moment. Nearly all of them I could probably do a DIY fix with

Granted I have replaced a lot things on this car, I will state most of which I can remember that seem important

Full sound system replacement - Went with Focal ES all around (includes additional amplifiers, tweeters, door speakers, subwoofer (DTX not Focal), head unit (Alpine). Basically the amplifier was fried when I first got the car, door speakers began rattling a week after changing subwoofer (which was rotted) and headunit. Door speakers deemed rotted at the foam and I opted to just put a full set of Focal speakers in.

Replaced side mirrors with RHD (Celsior, I am based in Australia too) Japanese spec mirrors. Left side mirror motor was making a horrible buzzing sound on start-up. It would last 15 seconds and was incredibly embarrassing. I had the shop that installed the sound system to swap out the mirrors for me.

Replaced rear left taillight with full set of custom acrylic (Celsior) unit from Japan. Rear left taillight had dead spots in the LED board, looked patchy. Inner fog lights did not work. Now have the custom set in and it was one of the best decisions I have made with this car. Same shop that did the other work replaced them for me, as a bit of wiring was involved.

Replaced a majority of the front end suspension components. Basically original struts were leaking (rear right especially), lower control arm bushings were cracked, few other bushings were cracked like the rear sway bar bushing. Car now sits on coilovers and new balljoints, control arms, tie rods, bushings etc.

Did the full timing belt service when I first got the car. Timing belt kit, water pump, radiator, belt tensioner (which was done later due to squeaking) etc. Only part really with symptoms was the belt tensioner, because first it started with the chirping sound on start up, then after the timing belt service I noticed it was making a harsh screech sound, so opted to have the assembly replaced sooner than later.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
aypues (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 02:26 PM
HiPatrick
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgot to add - The front left headlight has condensation built up on the inside, there must be a crack somewhere causing so. It is a slow build up from the years
Old 06-28-23, 05:32 AM
FtMyersLS
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Speakers randomly sound blown on one trip, then perfect on the next. Mostly the sub. Has to be an amp issue but I have to backup amp to try.