LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can I have a used dealer request a service history from a Lexus dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 10:45 AM
awesomefar
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I have a used dealer request a service history from a Lexus dealer?

I searched the VIN of the car and saw a service history of the car they're selling but they say they don't have a service history so Im assuming they're not aware of it. Can I request that they go get a full service history from the dealer printed out?
Old 04-16-18, 10:54 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

Go to this site. Create an account. Add the VIN of your Lexus to your list of cars. You should be able to see all the Lexus provided service history. You can add manual records if you have paper invoices from non-Lexus service.

Once set up, you can temporarily add cars you are shopping to see the history. Just remove them when done.
Old 04-16-18, 10:55 AM
awesomefar
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I can see it in the website I want to know whether the dealer can request a paper copy because they hard copy is more detailed than the online version.
Old 04-16-18, 11:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My hope is that the answer is no? Only to respect peoples' privacies? I find it odd when people say they talked to a previous owner--my paperwork is from NYS so it absolutely shows me who owned my LS430 before me, but imho that doesn't mean I can make contact and start asking about the car?

Get this--with BMW, BMW will NOT provide service histories to the rightful owners. A dealer did give me such history to my own car and I am the original owner. The finance mgr of a random dealer pulled it, and he told me he would not be unhappy in any way, if he mistakenly left it on his desk, and I accidentally took it on my way out. He then shook my hand and left his office. It was almost like an Experian credit report, really official, stated proprietary, and not to be shared with the owner. It wasn't like lexus owners, it was more like a credit report, very official.
Old 04-16-18, 01:17 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Local Lex dealer serviced my 04 for the previous owner. I bought the car from the local Infiniti dealer, had a signed contract and possession of the car. Lex dealer knows me personally (serviced my 01) but would not release service records. If a dealer can't do this directly (to a verified owner) how is the info is available at Lexus. com?
Old 04-16-18, 01:20 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Local Lex dealer serviced my 04 for the previous owner. I bought the car from the local Infiniti dealer, had a signed contract and possession of the car. Lex dealer knows me personally (serviced my 01) but would not release service records. If a dealer can't do this directly (to a verified owner) how is the info is available at Lexus. com?
I can't speak for Lexus, but if BMW, what the dealer can generate, again, is official. Maybe it was Lexis Nexis I don't remember, it was not a joke like lexus owners. And it said not to be shared with owner of vehicle, proprietary. But as far a a dealer taking it upon themselves to give out previous owners' invoices, that would be very bad. For one, who I am and where I live. For two, how much I paid. This should not be shared. But if I sold you my car used, sure, I can just give all those to you because they would be helpful, maybe even seal the sale. But nobody else should be able to do that imho...
Old 04-16-18, 07:00 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rsahu
Yes I can see it in the website I want to know whether the dealer can request a paper copy because they hard copy is more detailed than the online version.
The hard copy is exactly the same as the online version.
Old 04-16-18, 10:15 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I can't speak for Lexus, but if BMW, what the dealer can generate, again, is official. Maybe it was Lexis Nexis I don't remember, it was not a joke like lexus owners. And it said not to be shared with owner of vehicle, proprietary. But as far a a dealer taking it upon themselves to give out previous owners' invoices, that would be very bad. For one, who I am and where I live. For two, how much I paid. This should not be shared. But if I sold you my car used, sure, I can just give all those to you because they would be helpful, maybe even seal the sale. But nobody else should be able to do that imho...
I completely agree about not wanting to have my name or address released. However if the online Lexus site didn't exist, I'd be hesitant to buy one of these cars given the cost of repairs. Service history also gives some clues on how the owner treated the car. I checked one and found subframe had been straightened. Owner hit a curb.
Old 04-17-18, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I completely agree about not wanting to have my name or address released. However if the online Lexus site didn't exist, I'd be hesitant to buy one of these cars given the cost of repairs. Service history also gives some clues on how the owner treated the car. I checked one and found subframe had been straightened. Owner hit a curb.
I truly do not understand the NYS law--it is SO in favor of the consumer (long ago I stupidly put a deposit on a Toyota, $5k. Changed my mind, and it said, deposit not refundable. I went to the dealership and they laughed and said you just lost 5 g's. You do dumb things when you are 20. Went to file a complaint, and NYS atty general said they said you can pick up your refund in 2 days.). My LS430 came with a form showing the person who traded it in, and their address. Why am I entitled to that, seriously?

Salesmen have really active imaginations, too. He told me yeah, the car came from Florida and was owned by an elderly person. He gave the car to his son, who traded it in for a Yukon Denali, because he had a 2nd young child and needed a bigger car. I decide to google the woman on that NYS form, and she's elderly, living in NJ. I'll never put anything past a car salesman.
Old 04-17-18, 07:56 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

The Lexus Service History log-in has a multi-paragraph disclaimer you must positively answer
that states unequivocally that you can not/must not/ever release or display any part of it to anyone
anywhere, so help you God...
Old 04-17-18, 07:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The Lexus Service History log-in has a multi-paragraph disclaimer you must positively answer
that states unequivocally that you can not/must not/ever release or display any part of it to anyone
I don't know where you got that from. I have tracked my car service on the Lexus site for over 10 years and have never run into a "disclaimer clause". Maybe we're not on the same "Lexus" site. But, my Lexus service adviser and I are looking at the same service history.
Old 04-18-18, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcomer
Just to poke fun at it all...BMW, you as the original owner, cannot get the service records that they the mfg have. (you can because a person a the dealer might accidentally print it out, forget that they left it on their desk, wink at you, leave, and then you accidentally pick it up on your way out)

But if someone got married in NYC, between 1950 to 1995, you can look up their license, their spouse's maiden name, and their license number, and get this info in < 60 sec. due to it being public records. I accidentally found that my former uncle had licenses to two women as a result. Anyway, it is a bit strange yet at the same time, I think it protects revenue somehow and also imho prior owners info should be kept private.
Old 04-19-18, 10:40 AM
Wilson430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bloomwcjkl - Thanks for the tip about the Lexus web site. That is cool. I now know my cars service history from day one with Lexus.