LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

FR air ride sagging after ditching car but no visible damage...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 12:01 PM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default FR air ride sagging after ditching car but no visible damage...

Hey all, I'm sitting at my local mechanic right now typing this. I just brought my '04 UL in for an oil change and to have my tires rotated. They noticed that the right front end of the car was low compared to the rest of the sides. I can't believe I didn't notice but now that they pointed it out, I can totally see it.

The thing is, despite driving extra super duper careful the other day, I slid off the road at about 30 MPH into a marshy kind of ditch. The car sat really crooked for a couple hours until the tow guy came and pulled me out. I looked over the car and could find no visible damage (thank God) and the car seemed to drive fine. But now I have this issue.

I'm almost certain it is from the incident as my mechanic said that he didn't notice anything wrong last time and he would remember since he actually had to adjust the hoist this time to compensate for the sagging.

They can't find anything wrong. They can see a control arm is a bit low but why it is low, they don't know. They said they can't see anything wrong. They aren't sure if they want to go any further due to the nature of the system and the headaches they could have over it. They suggest I get an alignment just to see if there is anything preventing that from being done because possibly that could be related however, I don't feel like the car isn't driving straight.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-18, 01:15 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

The height sensor on that corner might have gotten moved. If it's not damaged you can adjust it to match the other corners.
Old 04-17-18, 05:26 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyaa
Hey all, I'm sitting at my local mechanic right now typing this. I just brought my '04 UL in for an oil change and to have my tires rotated. They noticed that the right front end of the car was low compared to the rest of the sides. I can't believe I didn't notice but now that they pointed it out, I can totally see it.

The thing is, despite driving extra super duper careful the other day, I slid off the road at about 30 MPH into a marshy kind of ditch. The car sat really crooked for a couple hours until the tow guy came and pulled me out. I looked over the car and could find no visible damage (thank God) and the car seemed to drive fine. But now I have this issue.

I'm almost certain it is from the incident as my mechanic said that he didn't notice anything wrong last time and he would remember since he actually had to adjust the hoist this time to compensate for the sagging.

They can't find anything wrong. They can see a control arm is a bit low but why it is low, they don't know. They said they can't see anything wrong. They aren't sure if they want to go any further due to the nature of the system and the headaches they could have over it. They suggest I get an alignment just to see if there is anything preventing that from being done because possibly that could be related however, I don't feel like the car isn't driving straight.

Any thoughts?
Possible the car had frame damage and thats why it does not drive straight and has crooked control arms?
Old 04-17-18, 07:34 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Possible the car had frame damage and thats why it does not drive straight and has crooked control arms?
This car doesn't have a frame and she said that it drives straight.

As suggested by chrispy, I'd check the height sensor on that side. You could check the air line running to that shock but I would think that if the air line got mangled, the car would be pretty low in that corner. What part of the state are you in? Hopefully not in an area that got 24 inches of snow this past weekend...
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (04-19-18)
Old 04-23-18, 01:31 PM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you so much for the help everyone. The mechanic actually figured out the problem before I left the shop. It turns out the driver side rear height sensot thingy had broken off at the bottom. The shop was able to temporarily fix the problem by zip tieing it back in place.

They didn't have a welder so that was the best they could do minus actually replacing everything which would make zero sense since this is an easy welding fix. After tieing it in place, my car is perfectly level again and the height adjustment works just fine.

Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner. I got caught up in other things right after they fixed it and I forgot to provide an update. Plus, I should have waited to see if they could figure it out in the first place before posting but I panicked right away.

Anyway, thanks all!