LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fuel smell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 04:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Fuel smell?

'04 138k runs flawlessly, not throwing any codes, no CEL. When idling sometimes I can smell fuel. For example, if I went and started her (she's in the garage) I would smell a whiff of fuel coming through the vents until I backed out and started driving. Just went into my garage after driving her for about 20 mins and the garage smells like gas. It's not overpowering, but there. No leaks.

I accidentally backed into my truck in my driveway a week ago and had bumper damage (whole rear bumper cover replaced), I looked underneath and there's no frame damage, and surely the fuel tank isn't located right there, right?

What gives?

Last edited by AJT123; 04-22-18 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-22-18, 04:46 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

The fuel tank is located directly under the rear passenger seats. The fuel tank pressure is monitored continuously by the ECM, so the fact that no CEL indicates that you do not have any leaks there. I suspect the fuel smell is related to the EVAP system, which handles fuel vapor within the tank, and re-rout the vapor to either the air intake manifold, or the air cleaner box. The rubber hoses used do deteriorate with time and can crack, or just simply be loosen.
The following users liked this post:
AJT123 (05-18-18)
Old 04-22-18, 07:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I really don't see how a fender bender caused this, but this issue did not present itself before the accident. I did back into my Yukon pretty hard. The impact moved said parked 6,000 lb vehicle back about a foot.

Likely will go to the dealer and have the insurance pay for the repair if dealer can document a repair is needed due to this.

On the other hand, maybe it's not related. I guess we'll see.
Old 04-22-18, 08:56 AM
mhussien32
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have the same issue and then it turns out to be the fuel evap hoses were completely disconnected..Check the below thread for pics
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...oose-hose.html
I doubt the fuel tank damage tho...
AJT123 (05-18-18)
Old 04-22-18, 12:12 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I smelled fuel the other day, pulled in to my tech's place. He couldn't smell it, but he opened the hood, and the radiator was leaking. Not sure why that would have caused a fuel smell. New radiator...still has a little burned coolant smell, but I'm sure that will go away soon,
AJT123 (05-18-18)
Old 05-17-18, 12:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Update:

I took the car back to the body shop and of course now they're saying the insurance won't cover checking out the fuel smell problem because it wasn't a front end collision. This irritates me because it's not impossible that backing into a 6,000lb Yukon (hard) might knock something loose in the front. Not rocket science to deduce that information.

I plan to take it to the dealer and have them look, and then just spend god knows how long fighting with the insurance to get them to cover it.

What is puzzling me is that there are no codes being thrown, no CEL. Car runs fine, you just smell a whiff of raw fuel when you come to a stop. I popped the hood and smell nothing.

Per previous post, it's sounding like something with the EVAP system. Is that going to cost a fortune to replace? I really don't want to have to fight tooth and nail with the insurance company, but I guess I'm not gonna have a choice.

I'm hopeful that if I just fill the tank up and drive the car a lot (the car is rarely driven, garage queen) it might just go away? Like I said, no CEL on.

If anyone has any more helpful information, please share.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-18, 02:14 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2006 LS430 had a similar fuel smell issue that occurred in a similar manner. The cause was one of the car's two fuel pressure dampers. My car had around 150k when it presented itself. The part is pretty typical among Toyota fuel systems and can cause a pretty strong fuel odor when they fail.

Jeff
AJT123 (05-18-18)
Old 05-18-18, 02:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rkw77080
The fuel tank is located directly under the rear passenger seats. The fuel tank pressure is monitored continuously by the ECM, so the fact that no CEL indicates that you do not have any leaks there. I suspect the fuel smell is related to the EVAP system, which handles fuel vapor within the tank, and re-rout the vapor to either the air intake manifold, or the air cleaner box. The rubber hoses used do deteriorate with time and can crack, or just simply be loosen.

Update:

Just wanted to thank you and the other posters for the valuable information. Gotta love these forums. I got the car back from the bodyshop today, all prepared (and reallllly not in the mood) to have to take it to Lexus and fight the insurance company etc. etc. I was frustrated with all of this to say the least.

So, I picked it up and of course smelled fuel again. Frustrating to say the least, because other than a bad door lock actuator the car still looks and drives like it just came out of the showroom. (Especially now since the bumper is fixed.) I pulled into a parking lot and popped the hood, and sure enough, the rubber EVAP hose was disconnected. I had checked under the hood before but it wasn't in the best of light, and said EVAP hose I thought was under the engine cover where I wouldn't be able to access it. But, it was right there in plain sight. Connecting it was easier than taking candy from a baby, and believe me, I AM NOT DIY INCLINED. Car was also making a slight noise like a bad bearing or belt which I had also noticed with the hood up; this fixed that as well. The sound was literally fuel vapor being pumped out of the disconnected hose.

Well, it couldn't have been any easier. No harder than putting a straw in a McDonalds cup

So, again, thanks guys for the help. You at the very least saved me $70 for the Lexus dealer to diagnose that and fix it. I was sure it was some expensive part that would have cost me at least $600, to which I would have had to fight the insurance to cover.

Oh and FWIW, the hose I reconnected looked literally brand new. '04 138k.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
dbninc (04-11-21)
Old 07-16-19, 11:17 AM
Khalusta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Update:

Just wanted to thank you and the other posters for the valuable information. Gotta love these forums. I got the car back from the bodyshop today, all prepared (and reallllly not in the mood) to have to take it to Lexus and fight the insurance company etc. etc. I was frustrated with all of this to say the least.

So, I picked it up and of course smelled fuel again. Frustrating to say the least, because other than a bad door lock actuator the car still looks and drives like it just came out of the showroom. (Especially now since the bumper is fixed.) I pulled into a parking lot and popped the hood, and sure enough, the rubber EVAP hose was disconnected. I had checked under the hood before but it wasn't in the best of light, and said EVAP hose I thought was under the engine cover where I wouldn't be able to access it. But, it was right there in plain sight. Connecting it was easier than taking candy from a baby, and believe me, I AM NOT DIY INCLINED. Car was also making a slight noise like a bad bearing or belt which I had also noticed with the hood up; this fixed that as well. The sound was literally fuel vapor being pumped out of the disconnected hose.

Well, it couldn't have been any easier. No harder than putting a straw in a McDonalds cup

So, again, thanks guys for the help. You at the very least saved me $70 for the Lexus dealer to diagnose that and fix it. I was sure it was some expensive part that would have cost me at least $600, to which I would have had to fight the insurance to cover.

Oh and FWIW, the hose I reconnected looked literally brand new. '04 138k.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Can you post a picture of this hose please.