LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18 | 03:22 PM
TLguy
Driver School Candidate

Default Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

I didn't see anyone recommending these tires in any of the tire threads, so I thought I'd share my experience with these as time goes by, as I think they're a nice value. I ended up getting them for $155 each installed. I researched extensively before deciding on these and had a hard time fine many negative reviews. I looked into Michelins and Pirellis, the usual recommended here, and some others. Quiet was my biggest concern, as I live in upstate South Carolina and weather isn't a huge issue. It does rain a lot here but my commute is only 8 miles round trip. I can't say that I had something great to compare to on this car, as the previous owner took great care of the car but put on some of the worst tires I've ever experienced. Champiros. Fronts we're almost bald after 17k miles. I've had the Cooper's on for a few days and holy cow I wasn't experiencing the full greatness of this car. It seriously rides like a new car. My initial impression of the CS5 Ultra Touring is that they're a very solid tire. Great ride. Great price. I will update after 5k miles and see if my experience changes.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLguy:
eddievegas (04-26-18), HauntedKen (04-27-18)
Old 04-26-18 | 05:23 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

What size and speed rating?
Old 04-26-18 | 06:14 PM
TLguy
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, sizing info is below:

CS5 Ultra Touring
245 /45 R18 100V XL BSW
Old 04-26-18 | 09:39 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Thanks for your posting TLguy.

My LS is a couple years away from needing tires, but I was just wondering this week if there are cheaper alternatives to Michelins, which work so well on our cars, but are pricey.

I'll make a note of your review.

Eddie

Last edited by eddievegas; 04-27-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-27-18 | 03:52 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Ok, first off the tires I recently bought were for my BMW X5, but that doesn't matter, both luxury rides.

second, I very never tried cheap tires on any of my higher end cars but for the price, I wanted to check them out.

I just got some Anteres Majoris M5. They are 275/40/20 and 315/35/20...yes. huge. These are summers replacing my studded winters and God awful run flats.

the run flats were crazy loud and wandery. You change lanes and it would pull you all over the road.

put the M5 on and WOW. For the price, it is an amazing tire. Super quiet, how a BMW is supposed to ride and very comfortable. I haven't pushed it yet so I'm not sure in performance, but for the Lexus, that won't matter too much for most people.

sorry for the long winded story lol oh and pricing was 850 installed and balanced for the 4...will bed considerably cheaper for square 18s.

edit: this is canadian BTW. Also, sorry for the derail. My point was that cheap tires aren't necessarily bad tires. Although alot of them are lol

Last edited by Neverdone; 04-27-18 at 04:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HauntedKen (04-27-18)
Old 04-27-18 | 04:58 AM
Neverdone
Driver

Another thing I'll add...I just threw on 20s on the lexus they are on some cheapish tires(nexen n2000)

because they're 20s they are a bit loud and you can definitely feel the road better than the stock 16s, but I do feel if I tried the ones I put on the BMW, they would feel much better.
Old 04-27-18 | 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neverdone
Ok, first off the tires I recently bought were for my BMW X5, but that doesn't matter, both luxury rides.

second, I very never tried cheap tires on any of my higher end cars but for the price, I wanted to check them out.

I just got some Anteres Majoris M5. They are 275/40/20 and 315/35/20...yes. huge. These are summers replacing my studded winters and God awful run flats.

the run flats were crazy loud and wandery. You change lanes and it would pull you all over the road.

put the M5 on and WOW. For the price, it is an amazing tire. Super quiet, how a BMW is supposed to ride and very comfortable. I haven't pushed it yet so I'm not sure in performance, but for the Lexus, that won't matter too much for most people.

sorry for the long winded story lol oh and pricing was 850 installed and balanced for the 4...will bed considerably cheaper for square 18s.

edit: this is canadian BTW. Also, sorry for the derail. My point was that cheap tires aren't necessarily bad tires. Although alot of them are lol
I always loved the X5 ZSP with 315's in the rear. Last winter, we saw a woman with one and she was driving like 5 mph in the snow. I told my wife, I wonder if she even knows she's got summer tires on, one would think if she doesn' know herself, her husband would have handled it...

My BMW came with RFTs and I stupidly paid $390 for a tire warranty. Since each tire cost around $4xx, it was a no-brainer. Of course, I got 3 flats after the warranty expired, which I didn't care, I plugged myself (I don't do the must be replaced game). Oddly, the tires went 49k and had a 140 A A rating from Bridgestone. Yes I have snows but that took off 6-8k tops. Replaced with non RFT

edit p.s. agreed, cheap tires aren't necessarily bad. My LS430 came with new Rydanz that cost like $88 on amazon, and are sold by Mavis. I'm in around 20k now and they are fine in dry, fine in wet. I will likely replace with Pilot Sport AS3+ (probably 4 or 5 by then), but no way I'm tossing perfectly good tires. I'm not made of money lol

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-27-18 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-27-18 | 07:56 AM
HauntedKen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this post, great discussion and you are right, a high price does not guarantee the best tire for purpose. Cooper tires have been some of the most under rated and over looked gems out there. Just starting tire research this week, so again thanks!
Old 04-27-18 | 08:03 AM
TLguy
Driver School Candidate

Was able to get them out of the interstate this morning and at speeds of 70+ there was very little road noise in my opinion. Very happy with them so far.

I can tell you with a lot of conviction to not buy any Champiro tires. The PO of my car threw these on at 83k and at 100k they were bald on the front. Loud and threw me all over the road. Huge difference in reasonably priced like the Coopers and cheap.