Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 08:39 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update:

Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies.

I ended up researching and buying the Kumho lx platinum tires from Tire Rack. I had them installed in a local tire shop after I picked them up from the warehouse. It was a big hassle since apparently, the keyed lug nut was a special one that was like a ratchet wrench, so the tool could not get it off. Even when I went to the Lexus dealer to get new lug nuts they could not get it off so I went to discount tire and they hammered the lug nuts off.

Currently, they seem to be driving a little smoother. I can't really tell much yet so far. The noise is a little better but I am not attuned to subtle differences. My wife says it is better on both accounts.

What does "breaking in" tires mean? Does that have any impact?

Last edited by ipstat; 05-15-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-13-18, 11:58 PM
ALISC400
Rookie

Well I also have a question: What is a good summer tire? I live in a place where winter is basically non existent so it is hot all year round.

Furthermore, I would say tires are at fault but you should also check your suspension. That also can create wear on your tires but also affect the how the car handles and the noise levels. Recently got my bushings and shocks changed and WHAT a difference. Tiny squeaks and rattles? GONE. I do want to get good tires soon though... Thinking what could be a good tire for comfort. Something that just makes the LS at its prime.
Old 05-15-18, 06:09 AM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ipstat, what size wheel do you have on your LS and what year?
When I had my '01 LS, I was driving 16s and they were the *smoothest* of the 4 LSs I've owned.
When I had my '04 LS, I was driving 17s and they were so so (UL)
When I had my '07 LS, I was driving 18s and it was AWFUL!
Now I have an '05 LS, also on 18s and it's definitely a hard plonk on the pot holes, even with the UL air suspension.

When it comes to sound, I find that the side windows seem to squeak, I think- rubbing against the weatherstripping when turning or driving over bumps. Someone mentioned "Honda Shin-Etsu grease on the rubber weatherstrips around the doors" as a potential solution. Anyone find this useful? Would WD40 do the same?

Last edited by ahxks1; 05-15-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-15-18, 07:04 AM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahxks1
ipstat, what size wheel do you have on your LS and what year?
When I had my '01 LS, I was driving 16s and they were the *smoothest* of the 4 LSs I've owned.
When I had my '04 LS, I was driving 17s and they were so so (UL)
When I had my '07 LS, I was driving 18s and it was AWFUL!
Now I have an '05 LS, also on 18s and it's definitely a hard plonk on the pot holes, even with the UL air suspension.

When it comes to sound, I find that the side windows seem to squeak, I think- rubbing against the weatherstripping when turning or driving over bumps. Someone mentioned "Honda Shin-Etsu grease on the rubber weatherstrips around the doors" as a potential solution. Anyone find this useful? Would WD40 do the same?
'04 LS and 17"
Old 05-15-18, 07:17 AM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahxks1

Not sure about wd40? Have the same questions? Also, how does one apply it to the doors and trunk and how much does one apply? There were no instructions on the amazon page. Can one use the Honda Shin Etsu grease on bushings?
Old 05-15-18, 07:29 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My 01 with 16 inch tires drives "smoother" than my wife's 04 with 17s. If I could put 16s on the 04, it might be the perfect car. The 04 just feels more solid/refined. Of course, it has 50% less miles on it.

I bought a tube of Shin Etsu from eBay for ~$15. It does work. I greased both sunroofs and covered as much of the rubber weatherstripping as I could reach. It is a good product.

I put on a rubber glove and put some on my first finger and smoothed it on so it was well covered, but not over-applied. Not an exact science to applying.
The following users liked this post:
ipstat (05-15-18)
Old 05-15-18, 07:37 AM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bloomwcjkl
My 01 with 16 inch tires drives "smoother" than my wife's 04 with 17s. If I could put 16s on the 04, it might be the perfect car. The 04 just feels more solid/refined. Of course, it has 50% less miles on it.

I bought a tube of Shin Etsu from eBay for ~$15. It does work. I greased both sunroofs and covered as much of the rubber weatherstripping as I could reach. It is a good product.

I put on a rubber glove and put some on my first finger and smoothed it on so it was well covered, but not over-applied. Not an exact science to applying.
So I guess I would apply it under the rubber weather stripping on the door and trunk. How much is too much? Also, it's not for squeaks. It's for the highway sound. Does it work for that too? Some reviews on Amazon say no.
Old 05-15-18, 07:48 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe apply like it is sunscreen. No big globs. Smooth it in so the areas are covered, but not oozing/dripping. The goal is to make the rubber bits softer, so they adhere to the car and allow less wind noise and squeaks. It will only do so much if you have gaps or tears in the rubber. Like adding moisturizer to your rubber bits.
The following users liked this post:
ipstat (05-15-18)
Old 05-15-18, 08:34 AM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Here are pictures of the broken weather stripping.

Old 05-15-18, 09:21 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 743 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by ipstat
Here are pictures of the broken weather stripping.
Not to get off topic, but check recent threads for how to replace the weather stripping. Pretty cheap and easy to go... great how-to on the forum. I just did my rears, will do the fronts next pay day.
Old 05-15-18, 02:45 PM
ipstat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Not to get off topic, but check recent threads for how to replace the weather stripping. Pretty cheap and easy to go... great how-to on the forum. I just did my rears, will do the fronts next pay day.
I found a few threads. Can you link any good ones?