LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying an LS430 from a Lexus dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 08:29 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying an LS430 from a Lexus dealer.

To my understanding I would assume a Lexus dealer would want to keep their reputation so they would not want to sell a car that would warrant complaints. I'm thinking of buying a 2005 LS430 ML w/ 130k miles. The thing literally looks like it came out f the factory and the service history is perfect - perfect. They're offering $9500. The transmission fluid was flushed at 90k and the coolant and brake fluids were changed as per the maintenance schedule. The tires are brand new primacies. Says the transmission and engine oil pan was leaking and a muffler leak was repaired. I honestly think this is a fair price but what are your guys' thoughts? Should I negotiate like a free service or something, I heard someone mention that in here. It's a one owner and garage kept so I don't know if there would be any rust, but its in the midwest.
Old 05-01-18, 02:08 AM
bradland

Received 684 Likes on 560 Posts

Buy it before someone else does.
Old 05-01-18, 04:46 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

The price seems a tad high to me given the mileage, but it has an outstanding pedigree (especially if the timing belt was done as part of the 90,000 mile service). Nice LS 430s rarely last long at any dealer, so don't delay if you like it.
Old 05-01-18, 05:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I find the price to be high myself.

Back in 2016 I "assumed" that Lexus dealers only sold the cream of the crop, but I find this to be not the case from my travels. I think they only sell the highest margin cars, that they can advertise as cream of the crop. As mentioned, one that I saw was nice, but $22k in 2016? The other two were $15k and $14k. Only the $22k would I consider to have been pristine. The $15k had been hit both sides with overspray and even black paint splashing the rims, and would not start.

So imho, the only thing you are getting by going to the new car dealer, is "service after the sale." For me, I got my car at a GMC dealership. When I discovered the door actuator wasn't working on the driver's door, and brakes pulsated, they fixed these for free. Brakes were Lexus OE parts (returned the boxes to me, and even to this day I smile when I see the front rotors are loose, held by the pads--they put anti seize as I had asked on the hubs).

But they did take the nearly unused spare tire, with a rim that still has factory markings on it, mount it on the car, and take pics for the cars.com ad. Then, they placed it back in the trunk. So I thought oh it has Dunlop SPs and even the red dots on the sidewall. Car dealers are tricky, so just be aware of all the games....and the price is always negotiable. If a Lexus dealership, have them do the timing belt for no charge. make sure tensioner and pulley too.

p.s. did anyone here buy that 2006 moonlight from Cherry Hill? Carfax 5 owners, think it had 37k, and the ad said, "Perhaps the best LS430 in the northern hemisphere?"
Old 05-01-18, 05:51 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

Was the timing belt done? At 130k, you can have a whole host of small things pop up, so be ready for that... brakes, suspension bits... can add up pretty fast. I would carefully go over all the records and see what has and has not been done.

You would think Lexus dealers would only sell the best, but at the end of the day they are a business just trying to make a buck. And of course, some dealers are going to be better than others...
Old 05-01-18, 07:01 AM
awesomefar
Rookie

The timing belt was done at 83k and the 30k intervals were all done. brakes are brand new. What else would you guys want them to "tune up"
Old 05-01-18, 07:06 AM
Romanova
Racer

Plugs been done?
Coolant?
Rear diff service?
Brake fluid?
How about the shocks?
Old 05-01-18, 07:07 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Price will always be higher from a dealer than a individual. While high, there's a lot of good history here with the car and seems to be well taken care of. I would not be afraid to pursue the deal.
Old 05-01-18, 07:13 AM
awesomefar
Rookie

Sparks done assuming he did everything on the 120k service and diffs been done one time at 60k and one time at 83k. Coolant and brake fluid had been done again considering he did the 30k intervals fully. But I don't have much doubt will check the detailed service history before buying.
Old 05-01-18, 07:19 AM
awesomefar
Rookie

And I was also concerned about the shocks. But not having been replaced by this many miles hints at good driving and smooth roads. I could do a bounce test to see if theyre good or not.
Old 05-01-18, 07:41 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If this is "Your" car...color, condition,mileage and price, buy it.

It is a "used car". That being said, it is also one of the best ever built with regards to fit and finish, longevity and a great long distance cruiser.

Pay to play, Enjoy the ride!

Doug k
Old 05-01-18, 08:00 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Buy it before someone else does.
+1. You may find one for less but will it have the same service history? That IMO is worth more to me than just the list price.
Old 05-01-18, 08:52 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by rsahu
And I was also concerned about the shocks. But not having been replaced by this many miles hints at good driving and smooth roads. I could do a bounce test to see if theyre good or not.
If you look around here, you'll find that OEM shocks go out at different times. The best way is to physically look at them and look for signs of a failed seal in which the body of the shock will have oil on it that will then collect dirt. My 06 was bought in almost mint condition, but has a leaking rear shock that I haven't tackled yet. Something to look at...
Old 05-01-18, 12:31 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally think its more than a fair price considering the upkeep its had and being garaged. I wouldn't sell my '05 for less than 10K so I think you're getting a deal especially if its from a reputable Lexus dealer. Make sure you do your due diligence and check for any accidents or flooding of said vehicle. You'll get years and years of trouble free driving out of it so if it fires your rockets than go for it.
Old 05-01-18, 12:55 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought an 06 ML two years ago with 104k miles for $15k with all service history. Add two years time, a year older car (2005 vs 2006), and 25k more miles, I think the price is fair if it’s in almost perfect shape. I have literally had to fix nothing on it. I spend more time waxing it than repairing. Now I jinxed myself, oh well.

I do remember when i bought it, the dealer had stripped the oil drain plug, never said anything to me, until it came time for my first oil change (DIY). Damn plug was barely hanging on and wouldn’t tighten up. I called them out on it citing the perfect oil change history so it had to be their fault. They replaced my oil pan for free.

Quick Reply: Buying an LS430 from a Lexus dealer.