LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering Wheel Knock Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 07:45 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Knock Repair

04 with 185k miles. Have been getting a mild clunk when turning wheel in park back and forth kind of a "knock click". Toyota dealer said it was the lower steering shaft about 650 bucks. It isa now getting worse on uneven pavement almost a very mild shake/knock. Anyone done a repair where there is a bushing or gear that can be replaced, or is it as quoted?
This will be the first major repair ever in 250k miles on 2 LS's. Thanks
Old 05-23-18, 09:52 AM
Fussy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, we have a 2004 LS430 with the same issue, serious knock when turning wheel left/right and it has small amount of movement in it if you push the steering wheel up or down too. Over bumps it will chatter, it was there when we bought the car 10 months ago but I'd say its worsened since then. The electric telescopic adjustment doesn't work the up / down does.

I contacted Lexus in Melbourne Australia and they suggest putting a second hand steering column in her which would cost $1500. Just where that second hand column would come from I'm not sure but I will ask.

The issue for me is that the steering itself seems quick stiff / heavy our 1995 Toyota Camry has lighter steering and the LS430 seems to pull left or right quite badly on a road with any camber on it..I am quite sure it shouldn't do that..I have had wheel alignment and if the car is on the crown of the road it sits well and goes perfectly straight.

Our car had done 163,000km and sometimes when going around a roundabout or even a corner the transmission seems to slip a bit and there are two leaks from under the car not huge but worrying...I think the car is great but these issues do concern me.

I have seen the exploded view of the LS430 steering column and it has so many parts and bushes its scary...perhaps that's why Lexus in Australia suggested second hand column to fix as opposed to replacing anything.

I am keeping my eye open for another car which has non of the issues our car does...I believe our car has had a hard life of City driving cause the rotors are well worn.

I have read that there was an issue with Steering knock caused by a cable which I don't see in the exploded view but there was a recall on them and most fixed, as I say ours seems to have steering issues that go beyond a knock in the column, perhaps Control arms or rack bushes..shame cause it spoils what is a great car.

I have had a Tire place look and they say there is no adjustment for camber on these cars which seems odd.

I have just bought Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tires I put in 235/50/18 and the slightly higher side wall definitively improves ride quality. When I get some money I intend to put on Rev Classic 100 16 inch chrome wheels and fit 235/60/16 tires and I expect to get a great ride with that set up, I hate low profile tires as they just create noise and a harsh ride.

I hope you are able to sort out your knock issue so keep in touch and let me / us know what happens.

I'm hoping to find an 06 with one owner and country miles on it with less KM too..

Cheers Paul, Colac, Victoria, Australia.
Old 05-23-18, 07:37 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

they called Lexus as they have other dealerships in their umbrella. Said it is not uncommon but still there has to be bushings and such anyone?