LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 ls430. crank no start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 02:13 AM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mbodall
Hmm. The needle may jump a little just from cranking as it spins the engine just fast enough to start to register RPM on the tach.

i thought maybe my mind was playing tricks on me I was replacing my fuel pump and like the fumes and stuff. I was in an open area but just no wind. Crap

Do you have a TechStream? If not, this might be a great time to get one. It may be something related to the theft ECU/immobilizer.
No sir I don’t. Is this something I can buy?
I have both keys. Tried one of each nothing.
One day car was fine. Went to the cemetery to visit family and run errands and the next day to move the car nothing. Just cranks and does not turn over. Really miss driving this car. I love this car. By far my favorite vehicle I ever owned👍

Thank you for the help btw. Appreciate it
Old 07-01-18, 02:29 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hnlcelsior

No sir I don’t. Is this something I can buy?
I have both keys. Tried one of each nothing.
One day car was fine. Went to the cemetery to visit family and run errands and the next day to move the car nothing. Just cranks and does not turn over. Really miss driving this car. I love this car. By far my favorite vehicle I ever owned

Thank you for the help btw. Appreciate it

Yes, it is something you can buy. A couple of members on this forum (owners of SC, GS, IS, LX, etc) have bought them on eBay for ~$30. TechStream is the software that Toyota/Lexus uses at dealerships to access any and every computer system in the car. You'd be buying the software (usually on a CD) as well as a "mini VCI" (OBD-II on one end and USB on the other) cable which usually come bundled together. With a laptop, you can plug into the car's OBD-II port and use the software to check out all of the systems like the theft deterrent ECU and immobilizer state. You can also customize a plethora of settings like whether just the driver's door unlocks with the first click of the unlock button on the key fob, or all 4 doors unlock; change it so all the doors unlock when you shift into park, which lights turn on/stay on when you shut the car off and for how long; tooooons of stuff. Check out some of the YouTube videos on TechStream to see what all you can do with it. Link to YouTube videos

Last edited by Mbodall; 07-01-18 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-02-18, 04:53 PM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

Yes, it is something you can buy. A couple of members on this forum (owners of SC, GS, IS, LX, etc) have bought them on eBay for ~$30. TechStream is the software that Toyota/Lexus uses at dealerships to access any and every computer system in the car. You'd be buying the software (usually on a CD) as well as a "mini VCI" (OBD-II on one end and USB on the other) cable which usually come bundled together. With a laptop, you can plug into the car's OBD-II port and use the software to check out all of the systems like the theft deterrent ECU and immobilizer state. You can also customize a plethora of settings like whether just the driver's door unlocks with the first click of the unlock button on the key fob, or all 4 doors unlock; change it so all the doors unlock when you shift into park, which lights turn on/stay on when you shut the car off and for how long; tooooons of stuff. Check out some of the YouTube videos on TechStream to see what all you can do with it. Link to YouTube videos

thank you soo much!
I just ordered the tech stream online for like 30 bucks. It should be here by Friday and I will keep you guys posted!
Old 07-08-18, 09:14 PM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

So thanks guys for the Techstream tip. It’s works fine. I went to key section and not sure if the values are
Old 07-09-18, 10:57 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

So thanks guys for the Techstream tip. It’s works fine. I went to key section and not sure if the values are
I haven't gotten my TechStream to work yet... still battling getting my XP VM to work with a driver for my cable...

But, I'd imagine that the "master key" shouldn't say "unreg"... I'd guess that means that your car doesn't have a master key registered to it, hence the no-start condition...?
Old 07-09-18, 03:31 PM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

I haven't gotten my TechStream to work yet... still battling getting my XP VM to work with a driver for my cable...

But, I'd imagine that the "master key" shouldn't say "unreg"... I'd guess that means that your car doesn't have a master key registered to it, hence the no-start condition...?
I was having a hiccup with the tech stream it would kick me out. But the seller help me out with newer update and bug fixing and now it works good👍

thats what I was thinking. Im not sure about the unreg. I’m wondering what it’s supposed to say?!
Im gonna retrace my steps and see what’s going on.
Old 07-09-18, 07:24 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The other guy with a crank/no start found a mouse ate thru his wiring. Check around for signs, just to be sure.
Old 01-03-19, 08:25 PM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

sorry to bring up an old thread. but i did get the problem fixed during the time i made this thread. the shop i took it to condemned it was the fuel pump. replaced fuel pump car started no problem. joy to my ears and tears in my eyes cause i really love my ls. any who I've noticed maybe within the last month or so I've noticed the car cranking a lot longer to start more then usual. I'm thinking hey maybe it might be starting issue. car has 130xxx miles maybe starter could be going out. i won't suspect fuel pump its new. well i replaced starter with new im gaskets and fuel damper gaskets. car fire right up. road tested vehicle, its fine. did couple cranks. fired up pretty good. well today was bad. driving the car for awhile going to the store and then i notice that long crank again??! I'm like aghh crap maybe it wasn't the starter. while driving home car did not want to accelerate. no power nothing. cranks but does not start. so i had the car towed to the house and now I'm back at step 1. it can't be the fuel pump again can it?

thanks guys. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-19, 04:57 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

sorry to bring up an old thread. but i did get the problem fixed during the time i made this thread. the shop i took it to condemned it was the fuel pump. replaced fuel pump car started no problem. joy to my ears and tears in my eyes cause i really love my ls. any who I've noticed maybe within the last month or so I've noticed the car cranking a lot longer to start more then usual. I'm thinking hey maybe it might be starting issue. car has 130xxx miles maybe starter could be going out. i won't suspect fuel pump its new. well i replaced starter with new im gaskets and fuel damper gaskets. car fire right up. road tested vehicle, its fine. did couple cranks. fired up pretty good. well today was bad. driving the car for awhile going to the store and then i notice that long crank again??! I'm like aghh crap maybe it wasn't the starter. while driving home car did not want to accelerate. no power nothing. cranks but does not start. so i had the car towed to the house and now I'm back at step 1. it can't be the fuel pump again can it?

Is your check engine light On? What DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) do you have?

Most likely the problem is "electrical" in nature. As the LS430 aged, plastic connectors in the engine bay become more brittle. Anytime you unplug or tug on these connectors, there is a chance that the connection become compromised. DTC is the good starting point to identify where the problem is.
Old 03-02-19, 03:58 PM
Austin36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you end up figuring out the problem? My car died on me today after filling up. It cranks, kinda starts and then dies. All the fuses are good so I'm going to check the fuel pump resistance.
Old 08-03-22, 01:38 AM
ahmadkhali
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same issue with my lexus LS430 02,cranks but no starts
no check engine light on and no battery light there.
Was parked 20 days ago now trying to start but fail
anyone can help?
Old 08-03-22, 01:41 AM
hnlcelsior
Rookie

Originally Posted by ahmadkhali
I have same issue with my lexus LS430 02,cranks but no starts
no check engine light on and no battery light there.
Was parked 20 days ago now trying to start but fail
anyone can help?

try check fuel pressure.