LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

No A/C lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 08:35 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts
Default No A/C lights

Went to the store and though my center stack looked funny. Turns out, none of the button lights for my AC are working. The actual display works, the indicator light on the buttons work, the HAZARD light works, the actual A/C itself works, it just the wording on the buttons that doesn't light up. Obviously, I just did the stereo a few days ago, but you think if it was a loose plug, more items would not be working... right?

I looked in the manual for fuses ... I see an AC fuse in the driver's side panel, but my AC works. I don't see a fuse for just the climate control lighting. I see #2 in the driver's side panel controls the lighting for pretty much everything else.

I checked everything else and it seems to be functioning fine... footwell lighting, coin box, ashtray, glove box, center console... all functioning as they should. Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-18, 08:59 PM
Romanova
Racer

The switch for the driver that allows temperature control works but the one for the passenger does not... just noticed this. Going to pull the head unit and make sure the plugs are secure, even though those didn't get unplugged during the install.
Old 06-03-18, 09:28 PM
Romanova
Racer

Plugs are tight. I'll check any fuses related to the HVAC system tomorrow, but otherwise I am at a loss.
Old 06-03-18, 09:57 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes
Old 06-04-18, 05:18 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Ground wire someplace? There looks to be a number of grounds in the center stack area..

Old 06-04-18, 07:37 AM
Romanova
Racer

I'm considering the fact that perhaps the bulbs are out? I removed the passenger side temperature adjustment assembly and saw the bulb, which didn't work. I then removed the driver's side temperature adjustment assembly and saw that the bulb was working. I was going to swap the known working bulb to the passenger side assembly and see what happens. While doing this, the driver's side bulb seems to have died as now it no longer works in either side. I'm hoping they were just fragile with age. I'm ordering LED replacements to see if that fixes it. If it does, then I will assume the bulbs in the HVAC unit also died, I'm not sure if it is a single bulb or what... will have to crack it open to find out.

Fingers crossed.

Old 06-04-18, 12:54 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 680 Likes on 464 Posts

Also check to see if you have power across terminals #2 and #7 of "C6" connector (see sketch below).

You will find the entire Illumination electrical schematic on the attached PDF. See page 197 for the center console panel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Illumination.pdf (105.6 KB, 159 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by rkw77080:
JJLS430 (06-04-18), Romanova (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 01:11 PM
Romanova
Racer

Perfect, I'll check that when I get home. Thanks rkw77080!
Old 06-07-18, 07:57 PM
Romanova
Racer

Seems like it was a bunch of bulbs that possibly died at once under shaky circumstances. I got some LED bulbs from SuperBrightLeds.com and popped one in the passenger side temp switch and it worked. I was disappointed in the light output though as the middle button is bright but the up and down buttons are noticeably dimmer. Really disappointed in these. They are also difficult to install because the plastic base distorts almost immediately when you try to twist them into place. I'm going to order new bulbs for both temp switches (2), the HVAC unit (4), and 2 for the seat HVAC/Trac Control/Rear Shade... but this time I will just get OEM ones from Bell Lexus.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from SuperBrightLeds.com but these were junk in my experience. The picture doesn't really depict how uneven the light was. The picture actually looks pretty good but I can assure that in person, the up and down buttons are MUCH dimmer.
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (06-08-18)
Old 06-07-18, 08:38 PM
Romanova
Racer

I see on Motohide's old post that even his really don't appear to be that uniform. I think maybe it is because of the flat surface of the LED itself rather than the bulb shape on an actual bulb.
Old 06-08-18, 11:18 AM
Romanova
Racer

Pulled HVAC unit apart and there are four bulbs. Pulled all four bulbs and checked them with a 9v battery, all four were dead. I'm not sure why or how they all died at once, but swapping in a bulb from another switch and it worked. Also checked the plug per rkw77080's instructions and I'm getting power at the plug. I've determined to get OEM bulbs and that is turning out to be a challenge so far. I called the local Lexus dealer and they said they couldn't even order the HVAC bulbs. I don't have a part number for the HVAC bulbs, but I did have one for the transmission switch, so I gave him that one... he said those were $10 each. No thanks.

I'm still waiting for Bell Lexus to respond to my email. Worst case, I can get a used HVAC control assembly from eBay for $30 or so and pull the bulbs from that. I wish the LED bulbs would work but I'm done messing with those. With as focused as the light is on an LED, I'm not sure they would light up the HVAC panel evenly.

Will update once I get a solution for the OEM bulbs.
Old 06-08-18, 12:37 PM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
With as focused as the light is on an LED, I'm not sure they would light up the HVAC panel evenly.
I’ve had the same issue of the led’s being too focused when I replaced bulbs. Wasn’t on my LS but on another cars door switches. My solution was to sand the curved ends of the led’s flat with some sandpaper so the emitted light is more scattered. Worked like a charm.
Old 06-08-18, 04:04 PM
Romanova
Racer

Ordered a used HVAC controller off eBay to raid the lights from. It was cheap enough to not worry about the price. I found the lights for the temperature control buttons, so I'll order two of those since the LEDs are not going to cut it. Should have it buttoned back up next week.
Old 06-08-18, 04:45 PM
Romanova
Racer

For anyone in the future who is searching for bulb part numbers, here you go. This information is direct from Bell Lexus in AZ.
For the HVAC control panel; 90010-03046 BULB, W/CAP 4 total, $5.26 each
For the temperature control switches on either side of the dash; 90010-03043 BULB, W/CAP 2 total $5.26
For the sunshade control switch; 90010-01070 BULB, W/CAP 1 total $4.78
For the seat heat/cool; 90010-01071 BULB, W/CAP 1 total $5.26

My local Lexus dealer was NO help at all for these. Google is also no help as these seem to be seldom replaced. From looking at the ones I removed, they are almost identical, though the bases are either gray, white, or a orange/rust color. While the bases are the same/similar, the difference I believe is in the wattage of the bulbs themselves.

I'm going to return the HVAC panel I ordered and eat the few bucks it will cost for shipping. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone in the future. And again, Bell Lexus is the only business I will buy my OEM parts from. They are great with their prices and quick to respond to part inquiries such as this one.
https://www.ebay.com/str/belllexusnorthscottsdale
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 05:47 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Ironically, I noticed my Temp control was dark this morning when I drove into work, so time to order the lamp for that control switch..

Quick Reply: No A/C lights