LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Leatherique on an LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 06:40 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leatherique on an LS430

So I haven't seen a thread on here for this product and where someone posts their results so I thought I would. My car is a 2005 LS430 Custom Luxury with the Semi Alanine leather, supposedly this product works better for semi-alanine leather, so you might not get the same results. For those of you who don't know Leatherique is a 2 step process to clean car leather, works best on old cars with no leather coating at all. Theres the rejuvenetor oil thats has a sticky consistency and you put that on first. You let the car sit in the sun for 1-2 days. Then you take the presetence clean and use it to wipe off the rejuvenator oil and it should be good. It has a good following online and it's considered VERY good to restore old leather. It's not like Lexol-thats mild stuff, it is to rejuvinate very old leather.

If you want to know more about it this link is very helpful:

So I covered the door panels, steering wheel, dash trim, center console, seats, seat headrest and the glovebox. I taped around the leather pieces, although I don't know if that was even necessary.

I'm going to let the car bake in the sun for 2 days and will update this thread Friday June 6 at the end of the day most probably.
Old 06-07-18, 05:19 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I've used this for years and still have some left. I just recently treated the seats in my 460 and I like the smell most of all,
Old 06-07-18, 06:45 PM
InToyoda
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only stuff that touches the interior of my ls- very good to keep the leather supple
Old 06-08-18, 08:51 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Leatherique is amazing, one of the best leather products I've used. Restored my moms 99 es300 leather with it, and it looked like brand new. In fact I need to do another treatment since its been over 2 years since I did it to my LS. How do you handle it with the perforated seats? Last time I didn't really put it much in the perforated areas.
Old 06-08-18, 08:53 AM
awesomefar
Rookie

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Leatherique is amazing, one of the best leather products I've used. Restored my moms 99 es300 leather with it, and it looked like brand new. In fact I need to do another treatment since its been over 2 years since I did it to my LS. How do you handle it with the perforated seats? Last time I didn't really put it much in the perforated areas.
This is a question I've wondered myself. To be honest, I just took my chances and just didn't rub as hard as the non perforated sections. Hopefully, it will turn out fine.
Old 06-08-18, 02:15 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

If you apply to the perforated sections, work it in, then turn on the seat blower to help push out any excess treatment. When I do mine, I spray lightly, agitate with a brush, wipe down, then turn on the seat blowers for a few minutes, and then give them a final wipe down. Seems to work well.
Old 06-08-18, 05:30 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

I cleaned it with the presrene clean then wiped it down with a wet towel. The car leather is softer and matte and supposedly it should soften it up even more in the next 2-3 weeks. Overall, I think it was worth doing.
Old 06-08-18, 07:22 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

good stuff and i use it yearly, makes seats soft again.
Old 06-08-18, 08:01 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

does it fix the cracks in the leather or just smoothens the good parts? I have some cracks on the left driver side seat and the left side of the backrest, no rips
Old 06-08-18, 09:24 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Originally Posted by semar
does it fix the cracks in the leather or just smoothens the good parts? I have some cracks on the left driver side seat and the left side of the backrest, no rips
my seat actually doesn't have many cracks because it's the semi alanine one. But I think they're less noticable, and I've also seen this for other car seats.
Old 06-09-18, 06:41 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

the leather in the pre 01 lexus’s were of better quality and held up really well, the analine in the ultras are also high standard compared to the non ultras imo.
Old 06-09-18, 10:07 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

is it true that the leather is actually protected by a "plastic" film?
Old 06-09-18, 10:14 PM
Spdjnke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get the stuff? Does it really restore suppleness to the leather? I’ve tried all sorts of leather products and non had really returned the suppleness.
Old 06-09-18, 11:55 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Spdjnke
Where did you get the stuff? Does it really restore suppleness to the leather? I’ve tried all sorts of leather products and non had really returned the suppleness.
My leather is naturally pretty hard but I did notice it got softer. But I heard that you need to apply like maybe 3-4 coats of the oil for "cardboard hard leather" per their website. I got the set from Amazon, its way cheaper that way than buying the individual bottles.
Old 06-17-22, 10:30 AM
nvwls
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Need to bring back this old thread just to vouch for this stuff. My CL semi-aniline leather was in fairly good condition when I bought the car (135K mi), but was beginning to show some wear with daily use and being parked outside in the hot sun. Visually, there were superficial cracks beginning to form, several deeper creases, and lots of wear on the piping on the edge of the seat where the seatbelt tends to rub. This was all mostly only on the driver seat (a few superficial cracks on the passenger seat), however, the biggest problem was that all the seats were very dry and hard.

We are having a bit of the heat wave in the Midwest so I figured that this would be the ideal time to try out the Leatherique I purchased last year (it's recommended you let the product sit in the sun/heat so leather absorbs more product). I went out yesterday, one of the hotter days (high of 97), and went to work. I did not tape off anything like the original poster due to time/heat, but I don't think that the product will harm wood/plastic trim.

I'm sure the heat played a huge helping hand as the leather absorbed the Rejuvenator Oil very quickly. I realized the 8oz bottle I purchased wasn't going to be enough, so I focused on doing multiple applications to the driver seat, which ended up using almost 1/3 of the 8oz bottle, and one application everywhere else. Other online tutorials typically show the product forming a layer on top of the seat, but my seats kept absorbing product, which is how I ended up reapplying so much on the drivers seat. I also did the dash (it's advertised as good for cleaning vinyl), the door cards, and the armrest.

I let it sit in the sun for the past 20 hours or so, and went back today to remove the Rejuvenator Oil (Step 1) using Pristine Clean (Step 2). I was fairly impressed with the results thus far. I wish I had a taken before/after pictures, but I would say the majority of original cracks and creases disappeared from the driver seat. They did not completely disappear; you can still sort of see the outline of where they were, but I expected as such given how long they were present on the seats. The seats are also now much softer compared to baseline. I imagine the thicker semi-aniline had some heft, rigidity from the factory, and it still retains that substantial feel, but now feels closer in terms of hand-feel to what I see in new leather in the LS or S-class.

Most of the product that was sitting on the surface yesterday was absorbed overnight, so I plan on doing another reapplication next week. Leatherique recommends doing multiple applications on older leather (up to 3-4x) and in retrospect I wish I had purchased the 32oz kit to begin with, instead of only 8oz. For anyone considering it I would also recommend getting a couple applicator pads.

To be fair I haven't tried using any bonafide leather conditioners before, only Meguiar's combined cleaner/conditioner. In my experience, that product did some superficial cleaning, but did not substantially change the feel of the leather and its effects only last a few weeks. Interested to see how this holds up over time and how it might compare to Lexol, Leather Honey, Chemical Guys, etc..

Quick Reply: Leatherique on an LS430