LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Broke one of the AFS connectors behind my headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 04:41 AM
kenaston99
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Broke one of the AFS connectors behind my headlamp

Boy did I screw up this time. Bought some LED daytime running lights to replace my halogen ones, and without experience or research on this kind of headlamp, I was trying to pull out what I thought was the DLR socket with a lot of force using pliers. Needless to say I broke off a big chunk of the plastic piece of the connector and the wiring is disconnected. My main concern is the blinking AFS off light in the dash, will this hugely affect my driving at night? And does anyone know how much this could potentially cost?
Old 06-14-18, 05:02 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kenaston99
Boy did I screw up this time. Bought some LED daytime running lights to replace my halogen ones, and without experience or research on this kind of headlamp, I was trying to pull out what I thought was the DLR socket with a lot of force using pliers. Needless to say I broke off a big chunk of the plastic piece of the connector and the wiring is disconnected. My main concern is the blinking AFS off light in the dash, will this hugely affect my driving at night? And does anyone know how much this could potentially cost?
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the damaged connector if you have one.

As for night driving, you'll be 100% fine. AFS only swivels the left headlight left going around a left-hand curve, or the right headlight right going around a right-hand curve... but they only swivel up to 15°. Our HIDs are so bright, and the beam pattern so wide that the AFS really doesn't help night vision at all. As long as they still auto-level correctly and aren't shooting up at the stars or aimed at the ground 5 feet in front of the car, you're good. If you're not already aware, you can confirm that the self-leveling is still functional by paying attention to the beams when you start the car with the headlights on. They should do a self-check by moving up and down before returning to and staying in the middle.
Old 06-14-18, 05:25 AM
kenaston99
Driver

I'll have to get a picture of the damage later today, but I'm only concerned just because it flashes like crazy and makes me paranoid when it does so.
Old 06-14-18, 05:43 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

I'll have to get a picture of the damage later today, but I'm only concerned just because it flashes like crazy and makes me paranoid when it does so.
Yeah it's going to flash. Don't sweat it. If it bothers you that much in the short term, take some black electric tape and put it over that area of the gauge cluster lol
Old 06-14-18, 06:10 AM
kenaston99
Driver

I'll have to get some photos of the damage behind the headlamp but I'm taking a break from dismantling my car.
Old 06-14-18, 06:18 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Yikes. I hope you learned your lesson about attempting to remove/replace something on your LS without experience or doing any research lol. Luckily it was just a headlight connector and not something more major.
Old 06-14-18, 06:20 AM
kenaston99
Driver

Worst part about this is I'm pretty sure when I take it to the dealership they're going to make up some BS about it being an uncommon part to replace and charge me 400% markup or something.
Old 06-14-18, 06:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sorry to hear I hate breaking things and feel your pain.

On my BMW, the right angel eyes burnt out (H8 bulb). Watch the YouTube, easy. Spent 2 hours changing the d*** light bulb, and it dropped into the housing!!! The car has adaptive xenon so visions of $1,600 leaving my wallet crossed my mind. I said omg where is the stuff from Chinese take out, and I used chopsticks to extract it!!

The problem is, there is no access, period. You have to do by feel. Secondly, we all know how to unscrew, and screw, a lightbulb. But, how about, if you don't know where it starts, and there is no access to see what you're doing? Now it's random.

Then, when I did the plugs, a lot of stuff comes off the cowl like the wiring loom, couple of sensors, the #5 plug is obstructed by the strut tower bar (factory). You should really use locking extensions or you could drop the socket into the motor. Two sensors have to be relocated. All goes well.

Next time around, to replace the ABS/DSC hydro pump, I break an air quality sensor, the same one that I already removed safely. Well, I was not going to pay $67 for a new one, so I used duct tape!!! Nobody knows it's there except me. Hate breaking stuff...

Moral of the story: To err is human, don't feel too bad.
Old 06-14-18, 06:51 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Worst part about this is I'm pretty sure when I take it to the dealership they're going to make up some BS about it being an uncommon part to replace and charge me 400% markup or something.
Just get the part # from them or research for it online, then buy it from parts.com for a lot cheaper than your local dealer would charge you for it. Maybe I'll be able to find the part # for you and tell you how much it costs... did you say it was the connector for the actual headlight? or DRL?
Old 06-14-18, 07:37 AM
kenaston99
Driver

Managed to get most of the bumper off. I'm stuck at this point and it is on there pretty good so I don't want to break anything. Is it screwed on somehow?
I also got a good angle on the harness and socket that I mentioned in my initial post.