LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wheel bearing help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 05:28 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel bearing help

I am in the middle of this wheel bearing replacement (right rear) and the bearing hub got broken and seized in the axle unit when trying to pull it off using a puller. Please see two pics below (new bearing hub new and broken one left) and I am not sure what to do. It is not coming off and I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me what to do.

FYI, mine is 2004 LS with 74k miles and the reason I decided to replace wheel bearing was humming noise from rear end mostly in high speed (over 45 mph). Got new set of tires (Pirelli P7 A/S) last month but still whining noise from rear left. anyhow, I thoroughly followed the directions from this forum this afternoon. I removed all bolts accordingly including 4 bolts behind dust reflector, which took me an hour. Now i have another problem.

Last edited by asc2000; 06-15-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 06:21 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm going to suggest heat, penetrating oil, and shocking it with a hammer, not necessarily in that order.
You might need a different style puller where you can thread it into two of the holes and drive against the axle... put something against the end of the axle to prevent damage to the threads. You might have to pull the shoes off and out of the way to smack it with a hammer on all sides after you hit it with penetrating oil. If you have access to a torch, some serious heat might help persuade it too...

Search for pullers and you should find one that fits this application. I would almost say a steering wheel puller but the holes might be too wide for it.

Good luck and let us know!
Old 06-15-18, 06:56 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Romanova
I'm going to suggest heat, penetrating oil, and shocking it with a hammer, not necessarily in that order.
You might need a different style puller where you can thread it into two of the holes and drive against the axle... put something against the end of the axle to prevent damage to the threads. You might have to pull the shoes off and out of the way to smack it with a hammer on all sides after you hit it with penetrating oil. If you have access to a torch, some serious heat might help persuade it too...

Search for pullers and you should find one that fits this application. I would almost say a steering wheel puller but the holes might be too wide for it.

Good luck and let us know!
Thanks. Just gave up after spending a hour or so and no more work today. Good idea. I will try to get a different puller. The one I rented is from AutoZone and I will ask if they have different one. I already applied blaster and also have been hammering heavily here and there. no vail. I will let it sleep and come back to tackle tomorrow. Thanks and I appreciate your suggestions.
Old 06-15-18, 06:56 PM
bradland

Received 687 Likes on 563 Posts

Are the holes in the carrier assembly threaded or just the holes in the flanges of the hub ?

Take the bolts used to hold the hub to the carrier assembly, they go in from behind the carrier assembly through the cover and into the hub, and screw them in the wrong direction from the outside. If you can knock the flanges either clockwise or counter (either will work) to mis align the holes screwing the bolts in from the outside will push on the dust cover and hopefully provide enough force to seperate the parts.

If the carrier assembly holes are threaded take 2 of the bolts, 6 and 12 o'clock, and insert them normally just far enough to be flush with the hole and not allowed to thread into the hub. Then use the 2 remaining bolts, threaded into the same holes from the outside, to push the hub out...

Edit- you'll prob have to remove the brake shoes to accomplish anything.

May or may not work but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by bradland; 06-15-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 07:20 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 746 Likes on 528 Posts

Something like this should do the trick;
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-1025-Mechanical-Matic-Puller/dp/B0002SRFP8/ref=pd_sim_263_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002SRFP8&pd_rd_r=AMBQBVVM7JAA4H3MGWZ4&pd_rd_w=8aPFL&pd_rd_wg=1pYlA&psc=1&refRID=AMBQBVVM7JAA4H3MGWZ4 https://www.amazon.com/OTC-1025-Mechanical-Matic-Puller/dp/B0002SRFP8/ref=pd_sim_263_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002SRFP8&pd_rd_r=AMBQBVVM7JAA4H3MGWZ4&pd_rd_w=8aPFL&pd_rd_wg=1pYlA&psc=1&refRID=AMBQBVVM7JAA4H3MGWZ4
Old 06-15-18, 07:51 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Ok, your situation is not too bad. I ve seen much worse. Please try pulleys first to see if they do the trick. Do you have a picture from the other side of the hub? Is there a way to hammer it out from inside?

Edit: try to get the good flathead screwdriver, insert it from the side of dust deflector inside one of the bolt holes and hammer it towards the remaining hub. It will come out after a good punch as well as after penetrating liquid does it’s job.

Last edited by ls430w140; 06-15-18 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 07:58 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Romanova
Something like this should do the trick; https://www.amazon.com/OTC-1025-Mech...VM7JAA4H3MGWZ4
That is exactly what I have rented from Autozone. The leg is way to large and it did not work. Thanks, though.
Old 06-15-18, 08:03 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
Are the holes in the carrier assembly threaded or just the holes in the flanges of the hub ?

Take the bolts used to hold the hub to the carrier assembly, they go in from behind the carrier assembly through the cover and into the hub, and screw them in the wrong direction from the outside. If you can knock the flanges either clockwise or counter (either will work) to mis align the holes screwing the bolts in from the outside will push on the dust cover and hopefully provide enough force to seperate the parts.

If the carrier assembly holes are threaded take 2 of the bolts, 6 and 12 o'clock, and insert them normally just far enough to be flush with the hole and not allowed to thread into the hub. Then use the 2 remaining bolts, threaded into the same holes from the outside, to push the hub out...

Edit- you'll prob have to remove the brake shoes to accomplish anything.

May or may not work but it's worth a shot.
Yes, the holds are threaded. That is another good suggestion. I should try it tomorrow. I also agree that I will need to take the brake shoes before hammering.. is it easy to take the brake shoes off? I need to investigate, though. Thanks much for your thoughts.
Old 06-15-18, 08:10 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Ok, your situation is not too bad. I ve seen much worse. Please try pulleys first to see if they do the trick. Do you have a picture from the other side of the hub? Is there a way to hammer it out from inside?

Edit: try to get the good flathead screwdriver, insert it from the side of dust deflector inside one of the bolt holes and hammer it towards the remaining hub. It will come out after a good punch as well as after penetrating liquid does it’s job.
I am embarrassed that I could not get it out. I thought this would be a few hour job. I was wrong. No pic from the inside. I will take a pic tomorrow. Bradland suggested the same thing as you do - hitting from inside. BTW, I did try that with blade screwdriver from the side of flange. not working...but I did not try from the other side of the hub. This may work. I should try it tomorrow. Hoping penetrating liquid would work magic tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited by asc2000; 06-15-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 09:06 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're skint, put the 4 bolts back in but only 3 or 4 turns, don't tighten them down. Then find a long enough piece of 3/4 inch round bar and with a large hammer (32oz should do) give each bolt a good smack. That'll shock the hub enough as well as move it forward out of its recess. The other option is to use an air hammer/chisel in the same fashion. Just remember to use your safety squints and ear protection. Mine came out with reasonably minimal fuss, I had an air hammer to use which made the job far easier, ans I wasn't worried about trashing the old hubs as they are effectively ruined anyway
Old 06-15-18, 09:23 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootymad
If you're skint...
Had to look that one up...
Old 06-15-18, 10:38 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Haha me too! I'm going to have to add that word to my linguistic repertoire
Old 06-16-18, 02:54 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scootymad
If you're skint, put the 4 bolts back in but only 3 or 4 turns, don't tighten them down. Then find a long enough piece of 3/4 inch round bar and with a large hammer (32oz should do) give each bolt a good smack. That'll shock the hub enough as well as move it forward out of its recess. The other option is to use an air hammer/chisel in the same fashion. Just remember to use your safety squints and ear protection. Mine came out with reasonably minimal fuss, I had an air hammer to use which made the job far easier, ans I wasn't worried about trashing the old hubs as they are effectively ruined anyway
Great idea indeed. Thanks for that. I will definitely try this method as well. I got an emergency call this morning and need to be out of town but will be back and get it done before this weekend is over. This forum is great with lots of rich info!!
Old 06-16-18, 02:56 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Skint refers to a person with no money or financial ability. I had to look it up....haha.. I learned one and may use this word myself. Thanks.
Old 06-16-18, 03:19 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 680 Likes on 464 Posts

Here's a sketch that may help you visualize your next moves...

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing help