LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Anyone with figs camber arms have clunking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 03:55 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Anyone with figs camber arms have clunking

I ordered front upper camber arms from figs and they have 500 miles on them. The driver side is clunking like the balljoint is bad but I did the tire test and there is 0 play. I emailed figs two times, the second time was this morning I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Help would be appreciated I am super pissed that they clunk so much.
Old 06-18-18, 07:47 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Under what conditions exactly do they clunk?

The FIGS CL member that posts here occasionally posted a YouTube video in someone else's thread who was asking about their LCA bushings vs OEM as well as another aftermarket brand... the video was shot by a camera mounted in the wheel well of a vehicle that had a FIGS LCA bushing installed, and a different part of the video showed the same vehicle with what I believe they said was an OEM bushing. The video showed the actual movement that the two different bushings allow during what appeared to be mostly straight line accelerating and braking. Now admittedly I'm no suspension expert, but what I saw in the video didn't exactly make me want to run out and buy their bushings lol. The FIGS poly-whatever bushing didn't so much flex like the rubber OEM bushing did, as much as it allowed the LCA itself to somewhat push through the bushing under load (braking). It didn't quite look like it was going to pop completely through the bushing or anything, but the OEM rubber seemed to do a better job of flexing and controlling the outward thrusting of the LCA, and seemed to "grip" the LCA better without looking like it was going to pop out. Obviously I understand that the poly-whatever bushing material used in FIGS bushings are stiffer and may end up lasting longer, as well as reducing toeing out of the front wheels under heavy braking, but it just didn't look right to me that their poly material doesn't seem to do a good job of "gripping" the metal of the LCA itself.

Again, I only know some about a lot of different parts and systems on cars, but really don't understand the finer points of how suspension components are supposed to interact with each other. I very well may end up making myself look like a schmuck when someone who really does know about suspensions reads this and says "Well DUUUUH! That's what the stiffer bushings are supposed to do!"... so take what I said with a grain of salt lol
Old 06-19-18, 08:27 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Going over bumps or any imperfection in the road they clunk and yah thats mike the owner who posted it seems like a great guy, have had nothing but posative interactions with him. I hope they are gonna be helpful with the arms, I paid almost $700 for them.
Old 06-19-18, 10:14 AM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check you sway bar and links to make sure not a different bushing issue?
Old 06-19-18, 12:12 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cpcc
check you sway bar and links to make sure not a different bushing issue?
Its deffintly not anything except the control arms thank you for your suggestions though