LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I need help replacing this bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 11:23 PM
Arab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help replacing this bulb

My right two bulbs went out it’s been about a couple months and I really need to replace them if you can send me a link for both bulbs if possible
Old 06-25-18, 11:44 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it is a 2004-2006 it is LED and requires replacement of the assembly. Typically its the LED section on the trunk that fails; from the wife slamming the trunk closed like its some old American lead-sled, rather than a finely tuned Japanese watch, hahahaha. Search online for the best price as I found my trunk mounted LEDs on ebay for reasonable prices but way more than a simple bulb.

If its a pre 2004 MY stop light is 7443 use this site to confirm the other missing bulbs and pick them up at any Walmart or auto parts stores, even Amazon: http://www.philipsautolighting.com/b...2003&trim=NULL

Also - confirm if the 3rd brake light in the back parcel shelf is indeed working. Looks like brakes are on in the photo and no 3rd brake light, but can't tell for certain in photo. Easy fix - search this forum for how to slide the cover off to the side as you access it from the back seat.

Cheers,
Old 06-27-18, 12:57 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
If it is a 2004-2006 it is LED and requires replacement of the assembly. Typically its the LED section on the trunk that fails; from the wife slamming the trunk closed like its some old American lead-sled, rather than a finely tuned Japanese watch, hahahaha. Search online for the best price as I found my trunk mounted LEDs on ebay for reasonable prices but way more than a simple bulb.
OP's car is definitely an '04-'06. The rear bumper has the cutouts for the dual exhaust tips to be visible which the '01-'03 models didn't have. You can also tell by the shape/size and look of the lights in general. The '01-'03 lights on the trunk itself are wider and don't have the 'defined' look that these LEDs have.

Arab, unfortunately you definitely have LEDs. Like Galco said, they're not as simple as replacing a bulb, and have to be replaced all together. You're going to have to pull the trunk lining away to gain enough access to replace the lights. There are a number of YouTube videos that show this, including a video I just watched which was for removing the amplifier for the stereo. You have to pull the trunk lining away in the same exact place to access the amp, so just watch the video and you'll see.

Actually I just found the video again...

Originally Posted by Galco
Also - confirm if the 3rd brake light in the back parcel shelf is indeed working. Looks like brakes are on in the photo and no 3rd brake light, but can't tell for certain in photo. Easy fix - search this forum for how to slide the cover off to the side as you access it from the back seat.
It's kind of hard to tell, but it does appear that just his tail lights are on and not his brake lights.

Arab, an easy way to tell if your 3rd brake light does in fact work is to back your car up to a building with a window that's in line with your car. Sitting in your driver's seat, push the brake pedal and look at the reflection in the building's window using your rear view or a side view mirror to see.
Old 06-27-18, 03:48 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Could the problem be the harness or connector? I would review the wiring/harness/connector, however everything is hidden by the trunk's tidy fabric lining. I doubt if the tail light assemblies are hard-wired, meaning, I doubt there's no disconnection point.

I would gently peel back the trunk's fabric/liner, then find and loosen and remove, then fasten and secure the connector properly. It could simply be a bad connection.
Old 06-27-18, 06:07 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Could the problem be the harness or connector? I would review the wiring/harness/connector, however everything is hidden by the trunk's tidy fabric lining. I doubt if the tail light assemblies are hard-wired, meaning, I doubt there's no disconnection point.

I would gently peel back the trunk's fabric/liner, then find and loosen and remove, then fasten and secure the connector properly. It could simply be a bad connection.
Indeed. I assume that people would first open it up and poke around in there, disconnecting and reconnecting plugs to the light before buying any parts, but I should know better than to assume... shoot, that's how I fixed my subwoofer recently, just unplug and replug... VOILA!