LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Resetting ECU experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 05:57 PM
awesomefar
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resetting ECU experiences?

I've read that resetting the ECU resets driving habits. My car shifts and accelerates pretty slowly id say so I would like to reset it. Does anyone have experience with this and can share how this worked out for them. And does anyone have an official procedure from lexus from the service manual because I havent seen anyone reference it.
Old 07-10-18, 06:41 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 166 Posts

You just need to either pull the ecu fuse or disconnect the battery for long enough to completely discharge the system (I do 10 minutes to be safe, you can almost certainly do much less than that).

In my experience (2005 LS), my transmission shifts so much better and more smoothly at low speeds right after I reset the ECU. Then sure enough, by ~50 miles later it’s back to normal. Pretty frustrating. I wish it would always drive like it does right when the ECU is reset.

Last edited by Peacebay; 07-10-18 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 07:12 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Agreed with Peacebay, all you need to do is remove power from the ECU to reset the "learned" parameters. If you want to customize the programs within the ECU, refer to the attached factory "Techstream ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure". Please proceed with extreme caution!!!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have not [been brave enough to] performed any of the procedures list within this TSIB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0021-14.pdf (4.68 MB, 620 views)

Last edited by rkw77080; 07-11-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 10:21 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
You just need to either pull the ecu fuse or disconnect the battery for long enough to completely discharge the system (I do 10 minutes to be safe, you can almost certainly do much less than that).

In my experience (2005 LS), my transmission shifts so much better and more smoothly at low speeds right after I reset the ECU. Then sure enough, by ~50 miles later it’s back to normal. Pretty frustrating. I wish it would always drive like it does right when the ECU is reset.
Originally Posted by rkw77080
Agreed with Peacebay, all you need to do is remove power from the ECU to reset the "learned" parameters. If you want to customize the programs within the ECU, refer to the attached factory "Techstream ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure". Please proceed with extreme caution!!!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have not [been brave enough to] performed any of the procedures list within this TSIB.
I briefly scanned through that PDF, but is that the same ECU shift recalibration TSB for '04-'06 6-speed autos that they do at dealerships?

If so, I think I'd rather pay the $150-$180 to have a dealership do it and not stress about frying my ECU or messing something else up trying to flash it myself. Peacebay and rkw, I don't know about you guys, but I'd be kicking myself if I ended up having to buy a new ECU for a few grand all because I wanted to save less than $200..

I had the recalibration done at my dealership over 2 years ago and am very happy with how my car shifts. It's a night and day difference to how it accelerated and shifted previously.