LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Uncomfortable Headrest: Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 06:24 PM
jz451
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncomfortable Headrest: Help Needed

For the past three weeks since trading in my 2005 Mustang for a 2002 LS 430 I have noticed that the headrest is pushing my head forward too much causing pain. The LS is a big improvement over the Mustang except that the headrest is driving me crazy. I know that the headrest can be adjusted up/down and can be angled slightly, but not moved forward/backward like the newer model years. I frequently drive a 2008 RX 350 where I have no issues with the seats so I am stumped why I am having trouble in the LS finding a seating position where my neck doesn't get stiff from an unnecessary forward neck lean.

Has anyone had any difficulty finding a comfortable position for their driver's seat? How is everyone's seat and headrest positioned that is comfortable? I am 5' 10" so I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time. If anyone has suggests they would be much appreciated.

If this continues I might just try taking apart the seat and reverse the headrest.

Old 07-12-18, 09:24 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If you tilt the seat back a little, does your head move away from the headrest? I have never had a problem
Old 07-13-18, 12:03 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

The angle of the headrests have a pretty large degree of movement in my opinion. Do you headrests fully adjust in these two positions?

If so, and you still find it pushing your head forward, I would try what Nash said and recline the seat a little further. I don't have this problem in the LS, but I have in other cars. I've found it helpful to adjust the headrest all the way down so the base of my skull is closer to the top of the headrest where it doesn't stick out as far. I also noticed that the headrest starts to go up towards the ceiling on it's own as you slide the seat further back, and I'd have to manually lower the headrest any time I slid the seat further to the rear after my shorter girlfriend drove the car. I started using the memory seat function once I got tired of doing this after doing this a few times, and now just hit the seat 1 position (saved with the headrest all the way down like in the pictures) after she gets done driving it.

I hope you can get the seat and headrest adjusted to your liking. I know how absolutely aggravating this can be, and the literal headaches and upper back muscle aches that can result from your head being forced too far forward for anything more than a few minutes.
Old 07-13-18, 10:08 AM
jz451
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried angling the seat back more but haven't found a good position yet where I'm still able to see the road without moving my neck forward. Even adjusting the headrest up/down and at any angle hasn't done much which is leaving me dumbfounded. I have good posture and normally sit with my head against the headrest unlike many people nowadays so that little bit of the headrest protruding out does not help.

Originally Posted by Mbodall
The angle of the headrests have a pretty large degree of movement in my opinion. Do you headrests fully adjust in these two positions?

If so, and you still find it pushing your head forward, I would try what Nash said and recline the seat a little further. I don't have this problem in the LS, but I have in other cars. I've found it helpful to adjust the headrest all the way down so the base of my skull is closer to the top of the headrest where it doesn't stick out as far. I also noticed that the headrest starts to go up towards the ceiling on it's own as you slide the seat further back, and I'd have to manually lower the headrest any time I slid the seat further to the rear after my shorter girlfriend drove the car. I started using the memory seat function once I got tired of doing this after doing this a few times, and now just hit the seat 1 position (saved with the headrest all the way down like in the pictures) after she gets done driving it.

I hope you can get the seat and headrest adjusted to your liking. I know how absolutely aggravating this can be, and the literal headaches and upper back muscle aches that can result from your head being forced too far forward for anything more than a few minutes.
Old 07-13-18, 11:42 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I've never had a problem with the headrest. But I don't rest my head against the headrest, with nearly an inch or two clearance from the back of my head. I just tried resting my head against the headrest I am looking thru the tri-focal of my glasses. I don't think your head should be in constant contact with the headrest. I'm thinking you may have the seat back in too much of a vertical position.