Need guidance - Ultra Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-18, 10:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Both are priced about right but...

I would be very leery of the '01 and its air suspension unless it has been converted or replaced. While the '03 might well be a good car, I rely heavily on a used car coming from a good home - here, apparently an apartment complex which is a bit of a red flag.
This statement is not cool.
Old 07-22-18, 11:36 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
This statement is not cool.
Certain assumptions can be safely made when buying a used car. They are not always true, but it is wise to bear them in mind.

Among others, an apartment backdrop suggests it is more likely than not that a car has not been garaged and has been exposed to much close quarter parking (the kind that results in door dings and other minor body damage - just ask my son whose '18 Accord's front bumper cover was just severely damaged in his complex's lot). More generally, shorter term ownership might be inferred as well as less religious maintenance. Of course, any (or all) of these points might not be true in a given situation.

If it is "cool" to disagree, so be it. Meanwhile, as always, I'll continue to buy garaged original owner cars that lived in ritzy neighborhoods.
Old 07-22-18, 12:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyseguy
Hmm
Every thing sounds promising then.
with compresor
...as long as I can fit comfortably lol
Regarding air suspension, I have it on my MB SUV. I bought extended warranty with full coverage partly because of this option.
Once you experience the ride you'll like it. My wife first time said it feels like car is parked yet it is cruising at 100 mph on major
highway. In my case there are two filters with compressor. When they are not kept clean contamination kills pump. This is an
issue with air suspension problems. Very seldom bags go. (about 200.00 a piece)
Old 07-22-18, 01:20 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Certain assumptions can be safely made when buying a used car. They are not always true, but it is wise to bear them in mind.

Among others, an apartment backdrop suggests it is more likely than not that a car has not been garaged and has been exposed to much close quarter parking (the kind that results in door dings and other minor body damage - just ask my son whose '18 Accord's front bumper cover was just severely damaged in his complex's lot). More generally, shorter term ownership might be inferred as well as less religious maintenance. Of course, any (or all) of these points might not be true in a given situation.

If it is "cool" to disagree, so be it. Meanwhile, as always, I'll continue to buy garaged original owner cars that lived in ritzy neighborhoods.
Point taken and it is your right to buy what you prefer. Most ppl buy/lease cars short term then trade/turn then in for the next shiny thing. They might do oil changes and brakes unless it's some warranty work being done and that's about it. All a potential buyer has to do is go see the car in person to check for body damage but you can never know how the car was maintained unless the the seller can provide documentation or you run the VIN through the Lexus database. Other car makers don't provide this service so easily.
Old 07-22-18, 02:48 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Point taken and it is your right to buy what you prefer. Most ppl buy/lease cars short term then trade/turn then in for the next shiny thing. They might do oil changes and brakes unless it's some warranty work being done and that's about it. All a potential buyer has to do is go see the car in person to check for body damage but you can never know how the car was maintained unless the the seller can provide documentation or you run the VIN through the Lexus database. Other car makers don't provide this service so easily.
There are many who knows a thing or two about cars but first time buyers(young kids) may not have wisdom to see thru things when they check out their interested car. In this case experience is a teacher.
Many kids today don't know how to drive properly with what they have; proper maintenance, recognizing something is up for trouble, limit of the car's capability.they are driving, etc. Common sense is not only applied to buying Lexus, it applies to any car or any thing. Lexus is just another car brand out there. My son in high school had an accident all by himself going around a curve too fast. The car was a total write off. I told him you shouldn't drive a Subaru WRX Sti like BMW M car. Now he owns two BMW, one for summer, one for winter. Became a good driver. Soon he'll be owning a Porsche.

Last edited by Htony; 07-22-18 at 02:55 PM.