LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Strange trim color combination

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 06:38 PM
Yonny
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange trim color combination

Hello. I am from Spain where very few Lexus LS430 were sold so looking at the used market there are not many choices really.
I found one I like but this picture from the steering wheel makes me think perhaps the airbag blow off and the owner didn't found the right color.
The car only has 72k miles its a 2001 model.
What do you think?

Old 07-20-18, 07:10 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

That looks like the right color.

Old 07-20-18, 07:16 PM
Yonny
Rookie

I have been looking for this exact same color combination but didn't found any other LS430 with the black SRS module and grey wheel.
Old 07-20-18, 09:51 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The black steering wheel center cover is not OEM. It is the wrong color and has been replaced by someone too cheap to buy the correct part.
Old 07-20-18, 10:02 PM
Yonny
Rookie

Thank you.
So it should be a great possibility that the car had a front end crash and the driver airbag was replaced afterwards, right?
Or do you think there could be any other reason for a replacement of the airbag system?
Can the airbag come off as a separate piece off of the center cover?
That cover should get a fracture to split in the middle when the airbag explodes but I am also thinking perhaps it got stabed or something and the owner decided to replace it.

In case the car was involved in a accident and no front passenger was in the car, would the passenger airbag automatically explode when the sensor detects a front end collision? And can that airbag be dissabled?
Old 07-21-18, 12:38 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the best thing to do would be to contact the seller and ask instead of speculating.

Get the VIN and do a Carfax or whatever equivalent service you have in Spain. I'm not sure how these things are tracked in Spain or Europe in general but I would think there is something.

One reason I can see for replacing the cover other than due to an airbag blowout is someone wanting to change the color. Maybe they started with the wheel cover. I doubt it but it is certainly possible.

Are there any other pictures of the interior?

I read online that it takes 30 lbs of weight on the passenger seat to enable the passenger airbag. So it is possible for the bag not to go off in a crash if no one is in the seat. There is no way to disable the bag manually though. That is according to what I have read, if someone can verify, that would be great. I hope I'm not giving you false information.
Old 07-21-18, 12:43 AM
Yonny
Rookie

Yes I will do that on monday. Its a dealer and they don't work during the weekend. But in the mean time I am looking for every bit of information I can gather before watching the car on site.
But Carfax is very unreliable here. I have tested some of my previous cars I know their complete history and their fate and the Carfax report is complete bull****. Some things are right while others are totally wrong.
Old 07-21-18, 08:44 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Yonny
Yes I will do that on monday. Its a dealer and they don't work during the weekend. But in the mean time I am looking for every bit of information I can gather before watching the car on site.
But Carfax is very unreliable here. I have tested some of my previous cars I know their complete history and their fate and the Carfax report is complete bull****. Some things are right while others are totally wrong.
The car deffintly had its airbags deployed hence the black steering wheel center below is the 2 parts of the steering wheel the airbag and the wheel itself.

Old 07-22-18, 01:03 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
That looks like the right color.
Oh sorry! I thought he meant the wood trim!
Old 07-22-18, 04:24 AM
Yonny
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
The car deffintly had its airbags deployed hence the black steering wheel center below is the 2 parts of the steering wheel the airbag and the wheel itself.

Alright.
So do you think the dash which is the same color as the airbag module on the wheel, but different than the trim on the right window is also from another car?
If that dark trim on the dash is not from this car, and a passenger airbag deplyment requires that part to be replaced, then we can be 100% sure the car had a big crash.

Last edited by Yonny; 07-22-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 12:14 AM
Zpat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right, the dark dash is with the black leather interior...
Old 07-25-18, 11:26 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe the car was in a front end accident
Old 07-25-18, 02:04 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Yonny
Alright.
So do you think the dash which is the same color as the airbag module on the wheel, but different than the trim on the right window is also from another car?
If that dark trim on the dash is not from this car, and a passenger airbag deplyment requires that part to be replaced, then we can be 100% sure the car had a big crash.

Yupp its all from another car there is no logical reason why lexus would just throw mismatched panels into a $60,000 luxury car. That and the air bag is part of the dash board if I remember correctly so yah had a decent accident unless your getting a smoking deal on it I would pass. Is there anyway for you to get the vin of the car? Maybe we can find auction info of the vehicle and see what it looked like before it was fixed.

Old 07-25-18, 08:44 PM
Yonny
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Yupp its all from another car there is no logical reason why lexus would just throw mismatched panels into a $60,000 luxury car. That and the air bag is part of the dash board if I remember correctly so yah had a decent accident unless your getting a smoking deal on it I would pass. Is there anyway for you to get the vin of the car? Maybe we can find auction info of the vehicle and see what it looked like before it was fixed.
I can get the license plate and with that the VIN, but no, its not a good deal really. It is a little on the expensive side but not by much if it had not been on an accident. With the information you gave me I am no longer interested in the car. There are other options but this was 30 minutes away from home so I had to consider it because the next nearest LS430 is about 4 hours away.

To get the VIN would cost me about 10$ so is not really worth because I am not going for this car unless the dealer decides to cut the price in half.
Old 07-25-18, 08:49 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Good decision... pass on this one....

Quick Reply: Strange trim color combination