LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for advice on buying LS 430, '03 to '06 range

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 08:58 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatearth
I have some flexibility, $12-15k. I'd prefer not to hit the higher end of the price range, but would consider doing so for an exceptional vehicle (of course, I'm still trying to figure out what that means). I live in southern CA.
To me, an exceptional vehicle is a one owner with lower mileage, all original paint, full service records without any lingering/repeating issues, that's been garaged in a high income area. When such vehicles hit the market they sell quite fast, so monitor your sources every day. Look at a few, even if unlikely candidates, to get a good feel for the market. Be patient and willing to travel at least a bit, the right one will come along. There's a real nice silver '04 with 48k on Craigslist to your north, up near Cambria. It's been on for awhile, no doubt due to its somewhat high price. Good luck!
Old 08-10-18, 09:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
To me, an exceptional vehicle is a one owner with lower mileage, all original paint, full service records without any lingering/repeating issues, that's been garaged in a high income area. When such vehicles hit the market they sell quite fast, so monitor your sources every day. Look at a few, even if unlikely candidates, to get a good feel for the market. Be patient and willing to travel at least a bit, the right one will come along. There's a real nice silver '04 with 48k on Craigslist to your north, up near Cambria. It's been on for awhile, no doubt due to its somewhat high price. Good luck!
hehe I'm tooting my own horn I guess I think mine fits the bill except I was the 3rd owner and the mileage was 81k. I cannot find any overspray etc. on my car to indicate body work (moonlight pearl might be more obvious) and I bet a well to do person garaged it in Naples FL.

Is there any "mother" thread on which states are the best to avoid rust? Besides CA, AZ, TX, etc....
Old 08-10-18, 09:11 AM
Flatearth
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Consider bumping the mileage range up to 80-120K for several good reasons.
-Availability, for every 60-80K car out there you'll find, I'm guessing, four or five 80-120K cars.
-Timing belt has probably already been serviced, one less thing for you to worry about.
-In the grand scheme of age and longevity there is almost no difference in an LS430 with 70K and one with 110K.
-Price, the 60K-80K cars are usually found at Lexus dealers and they charge a premuim for them. Usually the owner, typically elderly, brings the car in for a TB service and gets sold on a new vehicle after seeing the price to change the timing belt. A large percentage of these cars never make it back out to the sales lot and if they do it wont be there long.
Again, I'd like to thank everyone for helping out with the advice. I need to wait at least a month for a number of reasons, but I am keeping an eye out the current market.

As a number of you have noted, the mileage criteria that I initially set forth limited selection. I will strongly consider advice to bump up the mileage.

A little about myself: This is my first foray into Lexus / luxury vehicles, although I have driven and ridden in a number of nice rides (the usual suspects). I'm perfectly capable of changing oil; I changed the brakes and rotors on my 1998 Toyota Corolla many years ago, but honestly, it's been over 30 years, so I'm not sure how confident I would be in doing any serious maintenance on my own vehicle. I say the following not for pity, but just as a statement of fact: My commuter vehicle is a minivan, a very nice one, but I'm ready for an upgrade for when my wife and I go on weekend trips. I really think my budding passion for auto detailing would be better directed towards a Lexus 430 (or 460).
Old 08-10-18, 09:54 AM
Flatearth
7th Gear

Two follow up questions:

1) What are your thoughts on making a purchase from Craigslist?
2) How much cosmetic damage are you willing to live with? (scratches, etc)'

Ty

Old 08-10-18, 10:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Me not willing to buy anything from Craigslist. I figure what I'm missing, that's ok. Wife's aunt used to send us on these crazy journeys for baby gear, I mean when you go to a place with abandoned tractors, boats, weird people and etc., I mean I was fascinated with the original True Detective series, but it's not like I want to be in it....

Cosmetic things are bound to be present on 12 to 17 y.o. cars. My car has 3 dings that are not noticeable, and there is one scratch. Oh and a scuff on the RF bumper (isn't it always that spot on any car that you get used?).
Old 08-10-18, 01:15 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatearth
Two follow up questions:

1) What are your thoughts on making a purchase from Craigslist?
2) How much cosmetic damage are you willing to live with? (scratches, etc)'

Ty
Nothing wrong with CL I have sold many of my cars there just need to be extra careful for meet up maybe at PD station and get alot of pictures and talk on the phone not through text.
As far as the scratches that's on you and depend how you are. Scratches, swirls you can work on that with paint correction but heavy damage like where need repaint that will drive the price down but again up to you.
Old 08-11-18, 02:05 PM
edl415
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Consider bumping the mileage range up to 80-120K for several good reasons.
-Availability, for every 60-80K car out there you'll find, I'm guessing, four or five 80-120K cars.
-Timing belt has probably already been serviced, one less thing for you to worry about.
-In the grand scheme of age and longevity there is almost no difference in an LS430 with 70K and one with 110K.
-Price, the 60K-80K cars are usually found at Lexus dealers and they charge a premuim for them. Usually the owner, typically elderly, brings the car in for a TB service and gets sold on a new vehicle after seeing the price to change the timing belt. A large percentage of these cars never make it back out to the sales lot and if they do it wont be there long.
100% agree with this post. The main criteria should be mechanical and cosmetic condition, the mileage would be secondary. OP, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but you can create an account on lexusdrivers.com and enter VIN's to check maintenance history. It's a good way to find those rare one-owner dealer serviced vehicles. Good luck on your search!
Old 08-11-18, 04:29 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look for one in good cosmetic condition. If you are willing to bide your time I think you will find a good one at a reasonable price. I would have to have a clean undamaged interior, I’m not going to look at a ratty interior for a car that I drive. Also, a good interior indicates that the previous owners cared enough about the car to take care of it. Also, very good exterior condition is highly desirable. No dents, paint in good condition, minimal scratches and chips, glass in good shape.

By all means have it checked by a mechanic.

I would pass on one that was ratty looking, either interior or exterior. Especially at the price you are willing to pay. I bought my garden variety 89,000 mile 2004 LS a couple of months ago for $6500. The dealer wanted $7500, but I told him I would not pay more than $5000 due to numerous paint chips, scratches, weathered paint, and a considerable scrape down one side. The interior was excellent considering the age. Hardly even any wrinkles in the drivers seat. I knew they wouldn’t have offered more than a couple of thousand trade-in on a car with so many surface defects. Finally, they agreed to $6500. I knew it would take considerable work to fix the exterior.

So overall I think I got a pretty good deal, but I surfed the web for a couple of months looking for local cars before deciding on this one.

Last edited by jherr; 08-11-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 03:30 PM
Flatearth
7th Gear

Originally Posted by edl415
100% agree with this post. The main criteria should be mechanical and cosmetic condition, the mileage would be secondary. OP, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but you can create an account on lexusdrivers.com and enter VIN's to check maintenance history. It's a good way to find those rare one-owner dealer serviced vehicles. Good luck on your search!
Thanks again, everyone, for the great insights!
Old 08-13-18, 08:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

If at all possible, it would be nice to see a below average mileage over the given time....implying it was one of those cars driven by maybe someone more mature if you will. If you were able to buy my mom's acura, it'd be a great buy. Garaged all its life, and she only uses it for errands, always takes care of it too. There should be lots of LS430s like that, at least when the cars were newer. Sometimes someone simply doesn't want a car anymore and they get rid of them...those are good pickups imho....

Not to sell myself short but my LS430 has never seen a garage under my ownership, and I'm guessing the 2 years prior as well by the 2nd owner. I am envisioning it was garaged its first 8 yrs of life by the first owner, who only went 37k in 8 yrs. If I could have gotten it from the 1st owner that would have been sweet, but in the end, it likely will not matter. The fact that there was an owner that probably took good care of it, will help me as I'm the last owner...know what I mean? As opposed to being a lease the first 36 mos., then a used car sale the 2nd 24 mos., then another sale, up to 5 owners lol

p.s. what I'm trying to say is an owner who had the car 8 yrs., is likely to have taken better care than someone who leased 36 mos. The person leasing would have treated the car as a rental without any intention of keeping it beyond 36 mos...