LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Electrical problems after cross jumping Ls430

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 12:04 PM
Denali
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems after cross jumping Ls430

I made a big mistake yesterday. I was jumpstarting my 430(UL) after it ran out of battery power. I didn't keep it for more than 5 seconds because it made a huge spark when I connected it.

So i start up the 430 and everything works except the radio, cd, cassette , and nav. Now, the actual screen still shows climate control options and everything that doesn't have to do with the nav system. I then went to the back and checked to see if the nav dvd box itself was working, and it did not eject the dvd when I pressed the eject. I assume that it means that the nav does not work. Also the rear controls do not work either, but everything like the rear ac and everything else works. the screen itself does not work.

After pulling out fuses, the VSC OFF light started to show, so that is another problem!

Now, one more thing, I replaced both of the lighter fuses that blew, but I noticed that the 7.5 fuse for the radio had a 20 amp in its place instead. I have tried everything but pulling out the actual entertainment electronics. I have read that there is a 140 amp fuse that I should check, would that be a cause?
Old 08-17-18, 01:36 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Three years ago I encountered the same problem as you. Big spark and I had low positive voltage since then. I had to change a lot of fuses, positive battery terminal and battery itself. I doubt that your ECM was damaged due to this spark.
Old 08-17-18, 02:27 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I had this happen to me a couple of months ago to my 04 UL. I freaked, tried a couple of fuses, and then took it to my dealer. They replaced a 7.5 fuse and everything was fixed. I was afraid that I had done major damage to some of the ECU's. No damage was done and everything quickly back to normal.
Old 08-17-18, 02:44 PM
Denali
Driver School Candidate

My car is a 2001 model year.

I have switched my battery out a couple of minutes ago. It's running fine. I will check the 7.5 fuses again.
Old 08-17-18, 06:20 PM
Denali
Driver School Candidate

After doing more research, it seems like if water goes in the trunk, then it can affect the radio or something? It did rain, and there was some water in the area that the rear fuse box stays, but I drained the water and left the car trunk open for a day. The rear sunshade, fuel cap, trunk switches were not working, but they seem to be functional now.

The nav screen just says ' audio off ' when I start the car. it also doesn't auto update the time anymore, so that is something else.

I removed the cd// radio to see if there was a fuse in the back, like aftermarket parts would show, but I didn't see any at all. I have checked every fuse, and they are still good, I'm drawing a blank there. The only 140 amp fuse is still wired so that theory is thrown out. I guess ill try to get a multimeter to check if there is any power actually going to the wires that the radio is connected to. I do think that there is a common link because the nav dvd computer still isn't working.

Otherwise everything is still working. Is there a common fuse for the nav, cd, radio, and tape player? I have already checked that the 3 fuses located in the foot wells are still operational.
Old 12-15-20, 10:30 AM
boontherun
Driver School Candidate

hm.... thats weird i dont see it
Old 12-15-20, 10:31 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Denali
After doing more research, it seems like if water goes in the trunk, then it can affect the radio or something? It did rain, and there was some water in the area that the rear fuse box stays, but I drained the water and left the car trunk open for a day. The rear sunshade, fuel cap, trunk switches were not working, but they seem to be functional now.

The nav screen just says ' audio off ' when I start the car. it also doesn't auto update the time anymore, so that is something else.

I removed the cd// radio to see if there was a fuse in the back, like aftermarket parts would show, but I didn't see any at all. I have checked every fuse, and they are still good, I'm drawing a blank there. The only 140 amp fuse is still wired so that theory is thrown out. I guess ill try to get a multimeter to check if there is any power actually going to the wires that the radio is connected to. I do think that there is a common link because the nav dvd computer still isn't working.

Otherwise everything is still working. Is there a common fuse for the nav, cd, radio, and tape player? I have already checked that the 3 fuses located in the foot wells are still operational.
Water anywhere its not suppose to be is a big no no with electronics. Any green growth on any of the fuse boxes, panels, wires etc? Fix the leak first, then narrow the electronics