LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Blind-Spot Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 07:04 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Blind-Spot Mirrors

In the near future I will be commuting 50 miles each way on two very dangerous highways (both in top 20 for fatalities in the US). My concern is changing lanes as these roads are notorious for people cutting you off (almost guaranteed if you use your turn-signals as the law states). I have watched the YouTube video about how the SAE recommends adjusting your mirrors to reduce blind spots but wanted to get feedback from members who have used or use some type of stick-on blind-spot mirror. Do you recommend them and is there a brand that does the job with good optical clarity?
Video for SAE recommendation:
Old 08-25-18, 08:02 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

I've had those little stick-on mirrors on some cars in the past. They took some getting used to, but are indeed helpful. Sorry, don't have any particular recommendation as to manufacturer.

My Sienna has Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, both of which I absolutely love and have saved my bacon more than once. Unfortunately, they weren't an option on the LS until 2013.
Old 08-25-18, 08:34 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

wow. had to fast forward through his talking to get to the actual mirror adjustment. i'm going to give it a try.

when my wife daily drove the LS, she had those little stick on mirrors. i took off the passenger side, but she said not to take the driver's side off. now that i'm driving it, i want to take the driver's off, just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 08-27-18, 01:33 PM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the feedback on the stick-on mirrors. I adjusted my mirrors according to the video and have driven about 100 miles of freeway. Although I am still getting used to the new mirror setup, it has worked just like he said and the blind-spots are pretty much gone. It does make the simple lane changes a bit more difficult but after some more miles I should be able to adjust. Hopefully others will try the setup and report back.
Old 08-27-18, 09:25 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I always have those little stick on mirrors on both side of the car. Wife and I find those very helpful. I am not sure what brand, I think we just got them at Walmart or autopart stores for a few bucks each.

Originally Posted by Catalina45
Thanks for the feedback on the stick-on mirrors. I adjusted my mirrors according to the video and have driven about 100 miles of freeway. Although I am still getting used to the new mirror setup, it has worked just like he said and the blind-spots are pretty much gone. It does make the simple lane changes a bit more difficult but after some more miles I should be able to adjust. Hopefully others will try the setup and report back.
I wonder how do those mirror settings works when the car is in reverse, and the mirror automatically point to the ground. Does it still show how close the curb is the tires? I may need to try this out sometime.

Last edited by BCT; 08-27-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 04:40 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i tried it, but ended up switching back. i can see where it comes in very handy if it were all highway driving. i would think that if you use the feature for the mirror tilt when in reverse, it would be pretty much useless since it wouldn't show the curb line.

i thought about setting the mirrors that way and then setting the memory so i can switch back and forth when highway & in town driving. i just haven't done that yet, lol.