LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Parts needed for timing belt and related systems service

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 12:43 PM
SlkySmooth
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Parts needed for timing belt and related systems service

I got my vehicle at 219k and am now at 240k with no idea if or when the timing belt/water pump has ever been changed. My belts are starting to squeak pretty good so I think it's about time to defuse this ticking time bomb. I plan on using the Aisin kit and will go ahead and be changing the thermostat and radiator hoses while I'm at it. After seeing someone on here mention their radiator brackets going bad and I noticed mine does have a lot of wiggle to it. I know my radiator was replaced right before I bought the vehicle so I think that won't need to be changed.

I've seen many helpful how to's on this site so I'm sure it's a job I'll be able to tackle myself given enough time with the right tools. My question for yall today is what other parts should I go ahead and replace while I'm getting this job done.

Thanks for any suggestions/tips!
Old 08-30-18, 01:36 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

A lot of people like the Aisin TKT 021 kit--it has the tensioner. The kit without is $30 cheaper or so.

Amazon Amazon

The indie used this on my car

Amazon Amazon

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
mhussien32 (08-31-18)
Old 08-30-18, 05:59 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SlkySmooth
I got my vehicle at 219k and am now at 240k with no idea if or when the timing belt/water pump has ever been changed. My belts are starting to squeak pretty good so I think it's about time to defuse this ticking time bomb. I plan on using the Aisin kit and will go ahead and be changing the thermostat and radiator hoses while I'm at it. After seeing someone on here mention their radiator brackets going bad and I noticed mine does have a lot of wiggle to it. I know my radiator was replaced right before I bought the vehicle so I think that won't need to be changed.

I've seen many helpful how to's on this site so I'm sure it's a job I'll be able to tackle myself given enough time with the right tools. My question for yall today is what other parts should I go ahead and replace while I'm getting this job done.

As the previous poster mentioned Aisin TKT-021 is the kit to get. You can get it from rock auto for around 200 dollars and it comes with the water pump, tensioner pulleys and gaskets.

The timing belt job isn’t too bad if you take your time. I would recommend a 24-38” breaker bar, torque wrench and the Schley 64300 holding tool for the crank pulley. It will allow you to take off and install the crank bolt easily.

Also the get some Toyota seal packing compound (like RTV) and a replacement o-ring for the thermostat housing. I also like to use a spray on gasket sealer for the water pump gasket. Done this with other cars and had no leaks.

Finally you’ll be draining the coolant so get 2-3 jugs of Toyota long life premix and a bunch of zip ties and wiring harness tape as the shrink wrap and plastic wiring harness holders will most likely crumble and break due to the age of the cars.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-30-18, 06:07 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i did the TKT021 Aisin kit also when mine was just replaced last week. i got mine on amazon for like $170 w/ free prime 2 day shipping. i also had the serpentine belt replaced since it has to come off anyway. the guys responses above are spot on.
Old 08-31-18, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Funny I was cleaning my garage last night, and I was like wth is this box? It was the Aisin kit with my old parts in it. The Japanese indie got it shipped from some automotive wholesaler, and it had my name, and theirs, and shipped to the shop. I have mixed feelings when I see shops ordering from rockauto or FCP Euro with euro cars, I would guess they pay more through them, than they would a wholesaler. Could you imagine if a shop had amazon boxes lol (well I dunno looks unprofessional meaning part is the same, just implies they are too small to go to the wholesaler and are likely paying more)...
Old 09-01-18, 04:43 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SlkySmooth

You mentioned the belts starting to "squeak". That might be a sign of the serpentine belt rather than the timing belt needing replacement. I would do both anyway since its basically taking apart each component. The TKT021 doesn't come with serpentine belt replacement as far as I am aware.