LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Has anyone successfully solved their LS430 steering clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-18, 08:19 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Has anyone successfully solved their LS430 steering clunk?

Can someone please share what parts were needed to solve the steering clunk on their LS430?

This is not a thread for theories or opinions (God knows there are plenty of those). Please only post if you have solved the problem and know what the issue was and what parts were needed to fix.

We recently installed a new steering rack and a brand new steering column in my dad's 2005 Sienna and all the clunking went away on it. To do that on an LS430 would be HUGE money so if there's a cheaper fix, please share!

It is not suspension related, I believe it's something that gets loose in the column assembly.
The following users liked this post:
DC777 (12-06-21)
Old 09-01-18, 08:27 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Can someone please share what parts were needed to solve the steering clunk on their LS430?

This is not a thread for theories or opinions (God knows there are plenty of those). Please only post if you have solved the problem and know what the issue was and what parts were needed to fix.

We recently installed a new steering rack and a brand new steering column in my dad's 2005 Sienna and all the clunking went away on it. To do that on an LS430 would be HUGE money so if there's a cheaper fix, please share!

It is not suspension related, I believe it's something that gets loose in the column assembly.
Many people on this forum were able to find information about this issue. Please search for relevant topics. Usually, steering clunk should be diagnosed at where it is happening. If you have a feeling it is closer to the actual wheel, then replacing couple of bolts and bushings may do the trick. Now you may look deeper and consider replacing worn steering shaft if that’s the case. Steering rack bushings will unlikely cause clunking as they are pretty solid. My case with clunking was related to worn front wheel hub assembly. The loud sound was coming during steering in the parking lot.
Old 09-01-18, 09:50 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls430w140

Many people on this forum were able to find information about this issue. Please search for relevant topics. Usually, steering clunk should be diagnosed at where it is happening. If you have a feeling it is closer to the actual wheel, then replacing couple of bolts and bushings may do the trick. Now you may look deeper and consider replacing worn steering shaft if that’s the case. Steering rack bushings will unlikely cause clunking as they are pretty solid. My case with clunking was related to worn front wheel hub assembly. The loud sound was coming during steering in the parking lot.
Thanks for the input. I've had Lexus inspect my car several times and nobody knows where the clunk is coming from. The clunk is really minor and only happens on low speeds like going up the curb over the driveway and in similar situations. Feels kinda loose.
Old 09-01-18, 11:47 AM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

Clunk is a pretty broad term in automotive jargon. Front end components, drive shaft u-joints, motor mounts, brakes, etc can all cause a clunking noise. Do you feel a slight shimmy, a tiny bit of play, in the steering wheel when you hear the "clunk" ?
Old 09-01-18, 11:51 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I take my Toyota Camry Highlander and LS to a toyota dealer. The tech there called their Lexus store, and was told it is the lower steering shaft got a quote of 630 bucks at Toyota. Plan on going to Lexus next oil change to get a definitive answer. Good luck
Old 09-01-18, 02:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bradland
Clunk is a pretty broad term in automotive jargon. Front end components, drive shaft u-joints, motor mounts, brakes, etc can all cause a clunking noise. Do you feel a slight shimmy, a tiny bit of play, in the steering wheel when you hear the "clunk"?
Yes

I have so far replaced front ball joints, lower control arm bushings, brand new shocks and mounts, new tie rods, new sway bar bushings. All OEM and all installed by Lexus.

It's definitely not driveline related. I know what bad motor mounts or trans mount feel like (just had to replace those on my 03 GS430 with over 215k miles).

It's something with the steering column. The Sienna I mentioned had the same kind of clunk but it was much worse on that car. It's completely fixed after a new rack and column install so I know for a fact it's the same problem here. I just don't want to spend thousands of dollars if there's a cheaper fix.
Old 09-01-18, 02:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I take my Toyota Camry Highlander and LS to a toyota dealer. The tech there called their Lexus store, and was told it is the lower steering shaft got a quote of 630 bucks at Toyota. Plan on going to Lexus next oil change to get a definitive answer. Good luck
Thanks I'll bring this up next time I have it in for an oil change.
Old 09-01-18, 03:19 PM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

Take a look at this thread starting with post #5. I was in a situation very sililar to yours and had excellent results from a simple and cheap solution. Of course YMMV...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...aft-clunk.html
Old 09-01-18, 05:16 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Hey man had the exact same problem and I was able to fix it. The clunk was from the little heat shield on the upper steering shaft it came loose and was rubbing on the exhaust manifold. Hope yours is this easy to fix all I did was cut the shield off and have been fine since.
Old 09-01-18, 07:41 PM
03TXLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Hey man had the exact same problem and I was able to fix it. The clunk was from the little heat shield on the upper steering shaft it came loose and was rubbing on the exhaust manifold. Hope yours is this easy to fix all I did was cut the shield off and have been fine since.
Any chance you can snap a picture sometime? Going to try tightening the bolt like the previous poster suggested with his link and also look for this heat shield - the little clunk at slow speeds is driving me crazy.
Old 09-02-18, 06:04 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Ots the little silver co e thing on the steering shaft over the u joints would circle it but some dirtbag stole my s pen from my note lol.

Yah have the pics from my header install last year will post them with the spot circled no probs.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 09-02-18 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 09:59 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wish bolt tightening had worked for me.
Old 12-23-20, 05:41 AM
klandry60
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 LS430 had the same issue clunking.I tackled my self being I have worked on these cars an others for years. Getting too point, steer shaft has 2 u joints, place hands on shaft, and U joint you will feel play if their is any. Also my rack an pinion you I adjusted the but tighten rack an pin adjusting nut tighten an back off 1/2 inch or less could help your clunk. What I did also replaced upper control arm on driver side was the main thing contributed too the clunking that was the main culprit of the clunking, I went ahead and replace both upper control arms.I replaced sway bar links also while at it...Car rides like a dream again. Go step by step, check intermediate shaft U joints in shaft, next check sway bar links, an upper control arm, struts will leak if bad mounts can be tighten, by jacking up front of car and tighten strut bolts and cradle frame bolts check all bolts on frame under front of car.
Old 12-24-20, 07:05 PM
josefm93
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upper steering clunck

I fixed my upper steering clunck.
It’s the upper intermediate shaft that connects to your steering wheel. Disassemble steering wheel, spiral cable, turn signal assy, and the shaft assy. Then use heavy (thick) grease to spread on the spline. Make sure tires are straight and mark the shaft before removing, so you dont have to do alignment afterwards.
The following 2 users liked this post by josefm93:
DC777 (12-06-21), Peacebay (02-01-23)
Old 01-25-23, 07:22 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

Bumping this thread. I know this isn't really a safety issue but its annoying to hear a click inside the cabin and I can feel it through the steering wheel. Multiple people have talked about ordering the intermediate steering shaft (part # 45260-50070) related to this problem in a few posts but no one who has done so has ever posted a follow up that this solved their issue. I'm pretty sure this is it after messing with the steering and listening to all parts of the shaft with a mechanics stethoscope but its hard since you can hear it all the way though the shaft. My steering motor to adjust the wheel in and out is also broken so perhaps thats the next thing to try. My steering is currently all the way extended towards the seat which could contribute and since it also hasn't moved since before I bought the car. I have found several threads below but they point to both the lower and upper shafts which are about $900 together so I obviously don't want to replace them unless I have to. Can anyone chime in?

This one identifies the intermediate shaft but then there is never a follow up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11129703

This thread talks about a bolt on the intermediate shaft through the firewall but mine is tight and this is for sure not the issue but also another person brings up a grease kit (part # 04007-76133) for the upper shaft in the steering column that Toyota issued as a TSB (T-SB-0015-13) for the Venza which sounds like a similar issue.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...aft-clunk.html

This thread talks about the upper shaft which is what would be greased in that TSB I mentioned above.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...end-clunk.html

This thread also mentions the intermediate shaft and suggests spraying it with white lithium grease to be sure
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...haft-area.html

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully solved their LS430 steering clunk?