LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Denso radiator leaking...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 07:11 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So i got a denso first time fit with towing. Only difference is thicker core.

Weight on denso is 8.4lb
Weight on oe is 7.6lb

Fan mounting tabs are a little wider and thicker on oe. Marginally better finishing off plastic. Definitely NOT the same units.

Still not swayed either way.

Oe on top Denso first time fit with towing on bottom.

Edges around label more squared off

Edges around label rounded

Tabs around pipes not bent. Pipe mount raised. Oe

Tabs bent, pipes level with surface. Denso.

Oe on left, copper pipe?. Pipe is a fraction bigger on the inner diameter. Denso on right, aluminum pipe? Bottom nut looks to be copper. Smaller inner diameter, by a fraction.
Old 09-24-19, 07:22 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Neck has two bumps to stop the hose? Oe

A simple ridge. Denso

This looks thicker and sounds more solid. Oe

That reduction on the right side of the sticker isn't present on oe. Denso.

Outer tab, thin, wider plastic around the captive nut. Oe.

Outer tab, thick. Narrower plastic around captive nut. Denso.
The following 4 users liked this post by ibrahim83:
bradland (09-24-19), Jabberwock (09-25-19), Johnhav430 (09-25-19), LexRex (09-24-19)
Old 09-25-19, 05:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Outstanding ibrahim. You're like the guy who gets all the filters together and cuts them open and explains what he sees. Now we all know, thanks to you, what we suspected. Me? I am willing to pay for the dealer part (most of the time I am not). Nice job!

If people would stop confusing Denso with OE, it would help matters. I lifted the hood of my wife's last night. The new alternator that the dealer put in last summer, has the GM logo, and it has Denso on it. And it's made in USA I believe. All Denso is NOT original equipment for Lexus. As we saw recently, the cars come with NGK plugs. Denso likely makes 3 grades of parts just like AC Delco. What Rock Auto sells is the aftermarket grade. And it has an aftermarket price, too.

edit: All Denso is "NOT" OE for Lexus, can be other sources too

Last edited by Johnhav430; 09-25-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 01:54 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Outstanding ibrahim. You're like the guy who gets all the filters together and cuts them open and explains what he sees. Now we all know, thanks to you, what we suspected. Me? I am willing to pay for the dealer part (most of the time I am not). Nice job!

If people would stop confusing Denso with OE, it would help matters. I lifted the hood of my wife's last night. The new alternator that the dealer put in last summer, has the GM logo, and it has Denso on it. And it's made in USA I believe. All Denso is original equipment for Lexus. As we saw recently, the cars come with NGK plugs. Denso likely makes 3 grades of parts just like AC Delco. What Rock Auto sells is the aftermarket grade. And it has an aftermarket price, too.
Thanks for the kind words! I didn't want to post anymore and get my ocd in high gear. I'd be more than happy to go over every little detail and post them, but I'm not sure anyone would care.

If enough people want it, I'll do it, but for testings sake, I'd have to get a denso non tow to compare, as the one i have is the tow model with thicker core.

As a side note, I'm shocked that a v8 can run so cool on such a thin radiator.

Ideally, I'd love to pressure test them to failure and cut them open, but I'm not made of money.
Old 09-25-19, 02:51 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ibrahim83
Thanks for the kind words! I didn't want to post anymore and get my ocd in high gear. I'd be more than happy to go over every little detail and post them, but I'm not sure anyone would care.

If enough people want it, I'll do it, but for testings sake, I'd have to get a denso non tow to compare, as the one i have is the tow model with thicker core.

As a side note, I'm shocked that a v8 can run so cool on such a thin radiator.

Ideally, I'd love to pressure test them to failure and cut them open, but I'm not made of money.

Based on what you can see in the comparison which radiator would you install in your car?
Old 09-25-19, 04:56 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Based on what you can see in the comparison which radiator would you install in your car?
Based on what i see, I'd go with oe. Not THAT big of a difference, especially considering the cost difference.
What really swayed me is the simple fact that there are a lot of documented issues with denso first time fit, and that the oe, even when made in China, is not something Lexus will tolerate having leaking issues so it needs to meet a stricter criteria.

I'm going to start on it tonight once i put the kids to bed. New hoses, mounts, thermostat, and coolant. All oe. Fingers crossed i don't run into anything else.
Old 09-25-19, 05:08 PM
bradland

Received 674 Likes on 550 Posts

Based on what i see, I'd go with oe. Not THAT big of a difference, especially considering the cost difference.
What really swayed me is the simple fact that there are a lot of documented issues with denso first time fit, and that the oe, even when made in China, is not something Lexus will tolerate having leaking issues so it needs to meet a stricter criteria.

I'm going to start on it tonight once i put the kids to bed. New hoses, mounts, thermostat, and coolant. All oe. Fingers crossed i don't run into anything else.
It's a simple job you should have no problem. Especially since you are replacing the ancillary parts as well.

I just don't see enough of a difference to justify paying 3x for some foam. They're so easy to replace it's really just a calculated risk. Either radiator could fail in 20 months or last 6 to 8 years. If I paid $68 for a rad and it dies in 20 months I'm disappointed but not pissed off because I can install a replacement in about an hour. If I paid over $300 and it dies in 20 months I'm definitely pissed. Other factors come in to play, of course, like frequent long-distance driving or the lack thereof. I'd have a different stance if it were a starter or water pump...
Just my 1.5 cents.

Last edited by bradland; 09-25-19 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-25-19, 05:32 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
It's a simple job you should have no problem. Especially since you are replacing the ancillary parts as well.

I just don't see enough of a difference to justify paying 3x for some foam. They're so easy to replace it's really just a calculated risk. Either radiator could fail in 20 months or last 6 to 8 years. If I paid $68 for a rad and it dies in 20 months I'm disappointed but not pissed off because I can install a replacement in about an hour. If I paid over $300 and it dies in 20 months I'm definitely pissed. Other factors come in to play, of course, like frequent long-distance driving or the lack thereof. I'd have a different stance if it were a starter or water pump...
Just my 1.5 cents.
That's my thing, i drive it a lot from Houston to San Antonio, Louisiana, and Dallas. And when i go, i need to be there at certain times, so having a failure isn't just about replacing the radiator. It's about the cost of towing, finding the part, hoping i have the tools to do it otherwise I'm paying for someone to do it, and lastly, I'm risking a ruined engine if i don't catch it overheating.

What's weird is i picked up a radiator for a Toyota land cruiser from the dealer today, and they charge the same price for one, but made in Japan! Go figure!
The following users liked this post:
bradland (09-25-19)
Old 09-29-19, 03:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

That's my thing, i drive it a lot from Houston to San Antonio, Louisiana, and Dallas. And when i go, i need to be there at certain times, so having a failure isn't just about replacing the radiator. It's about the cost of towing, finding the part, hoping i have the tools to do it otherwise I'm paying for someone to do it, and lastly, I'm risking a ruined engine if i don't catch it overheating.

What's weird is i picked up a radiator for a Toyota land cruiser from the dealer today, and they charge the same price for one, but made in Japan! Go figure!
When I got the LS I was surprised at the number of parts which on the Toyota label said made in Japan. Is Chinese or Mexican made not as good? Most likely not. There are some very high end and critical industrial and commercial components being made from those countries. we are mere consumers. I admit, I prefer USA, Japan, Germany, Austria, but this is really a preference. Coil packs from Turkey, ABS pumps from Hungary, sometimes the choice is not there for these things to be made any longer where the mfg. is headquartered.
Old 09-30-19, 06:00 PM
ibrahim83
Driver School Candidate

I bit the bullet and installed the oe radiator, along with new hoses, top mounts and bottom ones.

I thought my mounts were fine until I compared them to the new ones. The radiator is solid in it's place now.

one 🍌 job. Took about 2 hours and that includes swapping out the brushes in my alternator.

Old 10-01-19, 06:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Nice job! I love the new hoses, they look sweet. Did you reuse the clamps? If I am not mistaken, ours do not lock open like the GM ones, right? I wonder if when the clamps are locked open, whether or not they weaken (they are just metal being bent the opposite way they want to go when opened). On GM some guys said never reuse, then others said why not, so was curious.

Is that a paint pen that you use to write on the radiator? I just got me some but have not used yet--got tired of grease pencils smearing off...lol

You're likely good for the rest of the life of the vehicle.
Old 10-01-19, 10:19 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Make sure you check and/or top off your trans fluid as most likely you will lose some fluid when disconnecting the transmission lines.